Sign in to follow this  
Jon_53

Tamiya Comical Hornet Help!

I just bought a Comical hornet and  I'm looking to speed it up.  Looking for to find a 13.5T motor that works with the stock TBLE-02 ESC.  Or do I need to get a new ESC and Motor combo all together?  Any recommendations?  I'm a noobie with little experience looking to experiment and have a little fun :)

Looking at the following motor:

My Current Setup:

Edited by Jon_53
Elaborating on question.

I am not against upgrading, but are you sure you want 4000kv?  

I think 13.5t should be plenty.  

I have always enjoyed Wild Willy2. It is mechanically same as comical Hornet. It's the one of few RC cars that I never upgraded the motor.  It's not that I don't have motors laying around. I've got a few Sport Tuned and 13.5t motors that's not doing anything.  But my WW2 just has ball bearings.  It's just so easy to wheelie, a stronger motor would make it back flip. (however, Comical series are a bit more stable because they are not as top-heavy as WW2)

So, if you want a bit more speed, I would go for a 13.5t.  If you run it on sand, it'll be faster without wheeling.  On a hard surface, you can do a bit of end point adjustment.   

I am quite fond of the Speed Passion 13.5t motors. They feature plugs on the rear, same as Tamiya's own brushless motors, so are typically very easy to fit to Tamiya models of all sorts. They also work well with the TBLE-02 ESC. 

Thanks TurnipJF and Juggular!  Sounds like the 13.5t makes more sense.  Do the Speed Passion motors usually come with a Sensor cable?  I noticed that my Hornet kit didn't include one.   

I breifly ran a that speed passion motor in my comical and in my opinion its wasted on that chassis. Brushless motors need quite tall gearing to make them sing and the comicals are really low geared. I didn't find it much faster than a silvercan. I found a hobbywing 1060 esc with a cheap 21t brushed motor worked really nicely for a bit more pep. A 1060 plus brushed motor is cheaper than the speed passion motor on its own, and the esc is lipo compatible making it futureproof. 

I think these are a bit faster than 21t, but super cheap and quickly available in the uk

https://www.team-powers.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_61&product_id=50

For the 1060 esc, make sure you pay around £16 for a, proper hobbywing version with the blue and yellow wires. There are loads of knock off 1060s (not hobbywing) on evay with black and red wires, but the drag brake is really harsh when you come off throttle which makes the comical really hard to drive.

Only other thing i would suggest is a better pinion. RW Racing do compatible  hardened aluminium 0.6mod pinions. Get a 20t if you go brushless, get 18t if you get that Team Powers motor. 

If you get the brushless motor you will need a sensor lead, a long one. Get one around 18cm long and you should be fine. 

3 hours ago, Jon_53 said:

Thanks TurnipJF and Juggular!  Sounds like the 13.5t makes more sense.  Do the Speed Passion motors usually come with a Sensor cable?  I noticed that my Hornet kit didn't include one.   

They come with a sensor cable, but it is quite short, great for touring car installations where the ESC is typically very close to the motor, but not really long enough for a WR-02CB where the motor sticks out the side and the ESC sits atop the chassis. As @ThunderDragonCy says, you will want a longer one. Plenty available on eBay for not a lot of money. 

@ThunderDragonCy I have a silly question being new to RC Cars.  I was able to get the 21T brushed motor you suggested with 18T pinion.  I also installed a 32t Spur Gear from wild willy.  So I tried hooking up the motor and it doesn't engage.  The motors works just fine when it's detached from the transmission.  Is there a little trick I'm missing here when attaching the motor?  

1 hour ago, Jon_53 said:

@ThunderDragonCy I have a silly question being new to RC Cars.  I was able to get the 21T brushed motor you suggested with 18T pinion.  I also installed a 32t Spur Gear from wild willy.  So I tried hooking up the motor and it doesn't engage.  The motors works just fine when it's detached from the transmission.  Is there a little trick I'm missing here when attaching the motor?  

If you have reduced the size of the spur gear you need a bigger pinion. 32t spur is 6t smaller than the kit 38t. The smallest pinion you can fit is a 24t in the 18t position. 

8 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

If you have reduced the size of the spur gear you need a bigger pinion. 32t spur is 6t smaller than the kit 38t. The smallest pinion you can fit is a 24t in the 18t position. 

Thanks for the advice @ThunderDragonCy!  Ordered a wild willy 24t pinion gear.  I'll give it a go.  

• Like 1