My first suggestion is to not give any children a smart phone, tablet, or personal laptop.  My daughter didn't get a smartphone and a laptop until she was 18 and leaving for college.  During high school she had a prepaid flip phone for emergency calling and texting.  We had a common laptop placed in the kitchen where the entire family circulated.  She hated the arrangement, but we were acutely aware how much time her peers were wasting on social media.  In the end, her moving away from home with these gadgets still addicted her and her moral compass shifted thanks to peers and Reddit.

We put the same deal in place for our son, but he continued living at home with us while going to the local community college for his training.  He has a smartphone and personal computer, but he's retained a lot of his best qualities.  I think there are several differences:. He's a boy not a girl, doesn't care about his peers as much, is surrounded by his parents moreso than his peers, and is working on practical hands-on skills.

I read somewhere even certain people in Silicon Valley don't allow their children to use social media or have a smartphone.  That tells me everything right there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

My first suggestion is to not give any children a smart phone, tablet, or personal laptop.  My daughter didn't get a smartphone and a laptop until she was 18 and leaving for college.  During high school she had a prepaid flip phone for emergency calling and texting.  We had a common laptop placed in the kitchen where the entire family circulated.  She hated the arrangement, but we were acutely aware how much time her peers were wasting on social media.  In the end, her moving away from home with these gadgets still addicted her and her moral compass shifted thanks to peers and Reddit.

We're heading that way with our daughter. A personal smart phone is not going to happen. She uses the tablet and PC to play games (monitored, of course) and do virtual schooling, but that's it. That's a very tough break with you're daughter. I'm sorry to hear that. We do the best we can for our kids with the best intentions but in the end, its up to them once they leave the nest. 

What madness is this? I googled the drink:-

It turns out anything can be pickled—even soda! Pickle Soda Pop converts the flavor experience of sipping from a pickle jar into a sweet soda that's easy to gulp down. The carbonated condiment blends the deliciousness of a sour dill pickle with the sweetness of pure cane sugar to create a unique but mellow flavor.”

I have to ask.. who sips from a pickle jar? You’ll tell me you’re supposed to drink hotdog brine next... :)

• Like 1

My wife makes sure that our house is run like a children's prison. 

No computer, tablets, smartphones, TV or consoles. Free range food. As in "salt free and sugar free to boot". Barbed wire fences. Searchlights. Guard towers. Decorated with cartoon animals (it is a children's prison, after all....)

If course, this means that I end up having to entertain the inmates instead of letting The Box do it for me and keep them out of my hair.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nothing like being awoken at 0530 with a child perched on my chest saying "entertain me, Daddy!"

• Like 1