Sign in to follow this  
slimleeroy

RC mart

12 hours ago, slimleeroy said:

I don't think the customs charges are that much. My egress got stung with customs charge and it cost me around £30

From personal experience it depends on the shipping method. I think I've only ever been hit once using the 'standard / air / HK Post' option, because the vendors generally seem to low-ball the goods value on the declaration. But I have been hit both times I used the 'upgrade / faster / Fedex' option, where I think they maybe have to be more accurate with the declaration?

In both cases it was 20% of declared value, plus the RM / Fedex handling fee of roughly £8

This is only parts orders though, not kits...you never know what the size of the box might do to HMRC's spidey-senses!! 

My £70GBP order (including postage) has been sent by 'SF-Express E-Parcel'.

Given that I have received the text from Royal Mail, it is inevitable that charges will occur.

15 hours ago, slimleeroy said:

I don't think the customs charges are that much. My egress got stung with customs charge and it cost me around £30

But customs charges are different in every country, here in the netherlands, if I get stung with customs  for the 345 euro for the car and shipping cost,  I have to pay 21% tax =72.45 + 13 handling cost for the post office and 4.2% import duties so that is another 14 euro so that is in total almost 100 euro more.

I never bought a kit from china because most of the time with the high shipping cost and customs charge it is more expensive  than I buy it from german vendors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

My £70GBP order (including postage) has been sent by 'SF-Express E-Parcel'.

Given that I have received the text from Royal Mail, it is inevitable that charges will occur.

Not necessarily, I've had that RM text / tracking notification a few times on small parcels and not incurred charges. Fingers crossed!

15 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Not necessarily, I've had that RM text / tracking notification a few times on small parcels and not incurred charges. Fingers crossed!

Same here, one arrived today with no charges as it happens. They have marked the customs valuation $10 though... :lol:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

They have marked the customs valuation $10 though... :lol:

And that, I think, is the kicker. Easier for them to do on smaller value / smaller sized packages shipped via 'domestic' postal services, vs large high value parcels shipped fully insured via courier services

I believe the threshold where duty is incurred changed in Australia from Aud $1,000 down to Aud $500, which is still a substancial amount.

So purchasing a kit from an Asian seller can still be a good option here.  I do still shop around though, as local sellers can be competative on many items.  

On 9/16/2020 at 10:11 PM, speedy_w_beans said:

Just ordered a chassis kit from RCMart, and it was only $55 for Fedex on a $300 kit.  The total price was a good $150 less than any local seller.  We'll see about delivery time.

Update:  The kit arrived today!

That is completely crazy.  I placed the order on September 16 (HK) / September 15 (local), and the box arrived today on the 18th (local).  It was only a $13 difference between regular mail and Fedex, so I splurged and was expecting it to take a week instead of 2-3 weeks.

Meanwhile, the order of parts I placed on September 14 (HK) / September 13 (local) has only just now been processed through the HK post office on the 18th.  I'm sure it'll be another 2-3 weeks before the parts get here.  This is a SF-Express E-Parcel as noted in another post.

At least for the chassis kit, it was well worth it to me to spend a little extra.  I don't mind the parts taking the slow boat over.

• Like 2

I ordered some parts on Aug 28th using the SF-Express E-Parcel and they only just arrived last Saturday the 12th in country:

• Shipment arrive at 【Cross-border service point in Ottawa, Canada】

and then today:

• 2020-09-18 12:16
  • Shipment loaded at 【Cross-border service point in Ottawa, Canada】, prepare to send to next station.

Not sure why Ottawa would be the initial entry point for this package seeing as I'm on the west coast of Canada (then again, this package did spend a few days in Amsterdam for some reason). Also not sure why it took almost a week to do whatever it was doing (clearing customs?) in Ottawa. <_<

Next time it will be the FedEx option methinks...

In all RcMart has great inventory and prices, but I'm hesitant to order any "time sensitive" kit from them.

On 9/18/2020 at 6:57 AM, Mirrorman said:

I believe the threshold where duty is incurred changed in Australia from Aud $1,000 down to Aud $500, which is still a substancial amount.

So purchasing a kit from an Asian seller can still be a good option here.  I do still shop around though, as local sellers can be competative on many items.  

There was talk about it, but it hasn’t happened yet. 

https://www.abf.gov.au/buying-online/importing-by-post-or-mail

the problem with trying to collect gst or duties on small parcels is the cost of processing/employing people to do it. That’s why it was raised from $200 to $1000, because it was too expensive to try and collect taxes on each parcel. 

if our gst jumped to 15 or 20% (Which is overdue) then they might lower it, I can’t see it happening before then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2020 at 1:29 AM, Juhunio said:

And that, I think, is the kicker. Easier for them to do on smaller value / smaller sized packages shipped via 'domestic' postal services, vs large high value parcels shipped fully insured via courier services

My FF04 Evo was marked at USD50 on the box which surprised me as it was about USD340 and the fedex charge was more than USD50.  

11 hours ago, Pilotguy604 said:

I ordered some parts on Aug 28th using the SF-Express E-Parcel and they only just arrived last Saturday the 12th in country:

• Shipment arrive at 【Cross-border service point in Ottawa, Canada】

and then today:

• 2020-09-18 12:16
  • Shipment loaded at 【Cross-border service point in Ottawa, Canada】, prepare to send to next station.

Not sure why Ottawa would be the initial entry point for this package seeing as I'm on the west coast of Canada (then again, this package did spend a few days in Amsterdam for some reason). Also not sure why it took almost a week to do whatever it was doing (clearing customs?) in Ottawa. <_<

Next time it will be the FedEx option methinks...

In all RcMart has great inventory and prices, but I'm hesitant to order any "time sensitive" kit from them.

I wonder about the tracking on the SF Express option too. My last 2 have gone through Amsterdam, and it always says they arrive in Wellington which is rrally unlikley as Auckland Airport is the main point of entry, and about 10mins from my house. Very few international flights go into Wellington. I suspect they say Wellington as its the capital and also always the option for timezones etc. Its so slow even once it arrives here too, about 2 weeks after it lands in country which is weird since our regular postal service is usually pretty good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I wonder about the tracking on the SF Express option too. My last 2 have gone through Amsterdam, and it always says they arrive in Wellington which is rrally unlikley as Auckland Airport is the main point of entry, and about 10mins from my house. Very few international flights go into Wellington. I suspect they say Wellington as its the capital and also always the option for timezones etc. Its so slow even once it arrives here too, about 2 weeks after it lands in country which is weird since our regular postal service is usually pretty good.

Agreed. I am similarly close to a major port of entry (Vancouver airport - YVR). They only thing I can think is that it went to customs, likely here in YVR, and SF just says "Ottawa is the capital of Canada and the CRA head office is there so that's what we will put down as the location" even though it may be sitting in a warehouse at YVR...

Very few international flights (by comparison to YVR and Toronto and/or Montreal for that matter) go to Ottawa and it's not a major cargo hub at all.

(and working in the aviation industry (see handle) I have some knowledge of this ;))

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pilotguy604 said:

The only thing I can think is that it went to customs, likely here in YVR, and SF just says "Ottawa is the capital of Canada and the CRA head office is there so that's what we will put down as the location" even though it may be sitting in a warehouse at YVR...

Yeah, I'm in UK and ordered a couple of sets of alloy hubs from RCMart on 14th September, they arrived in UK (according to the tracking) on the 16th, just 2 day later (I used express shipping) so no issues there at all. However they have since sat in Customs in Coventry (held for customs inspections) since the 16th and not moved. Typical. We can get a parcel from Hong Kong to UK in 2 days but our customs take 4+ days to inspect it....... aarrggghhhh

On 9/18/2020 at 1:37 PM, speedy_w_beans said:

Update:  The kit arrived today!

That is completely crazy.  I placed the order on September 16 (HK) / September 15 (local), and the box arrived today on the 18th (local).  It was only a $13 difference between regular mail and Fedex, so I splurged and was expecting it to take a week instead of 2-3 weeks.

Meanwhile, the order of parts I placed on September 14 (HK) / September 13 (local) has only just now been processed through the HK post office on the 18th.  I'm sure it'll be another 2-3 weeks before the parts get here.  This is a SF-Express E-Parcel as noted in another post.

At least for the chassis kit, it was well worth it to me to spend a little extra.  I don't mind the parts taking the slow boat over.

I ordered an Egrees back in 5/30 and it took less than a week.  $112 for SF Express though.  I ordered parts that were shipped 8/15 and there’s no sign of them.

was thinking about preordering the Avante from them but $89 for,shipping is steep

I also ordered on 14 September but the package doesn't appear to have made it o the UK yet.

I had a parcel arrive today that I ordered on 1st September and shipped on the 4th using the slow-n-low service. The Royal Mail tracking text arrived on the 9th when tracking just said that "your parcel is now leaving the country of origin", so I'm guessing that's 5 days to clear outbound customs in HK and be identified to the domestic postal service in destination? Anyway, it arrived 12 days after that first text, a total of 17 days from shipped date to arrival, and no customs fees. Not bad all things considered! 

I was going to start a new thread, but thought it was fitting for this thread.

I recently bought a Top Force from Asiatees, it came in 5 days, can't complain. 2 weeks later (today) I receive a FedEx letter, informing me I need to pay £48 tax! They included a scan of the original invoice from Asiatees which they had opened up.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers

3 hours ago, Sheriff said:

I was going to start a new thread, but thought it was fitting for this thread.

I recently bought a Top Force from Asiatees, it came in 5 days, can't complain. 2 weeks later (today) I receive a FedEx letter, informing me I need to pay £48 tax! They included a scan of the original invoice from Asiatees which they had opened up.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers

Yeah. Happened to me too with an airbrush I bought a couple of months ago. Came in via FedEx super fast but then, a week later, I got hit with their customs fees.

I've ordered from RC Mart a couple of times during Covid with the second one currently being held by Parcel Force for customs fees. Royal Mail usually delivers my RC Mart orders, without fees incurred, so I'm surprised that Parcel Force have my latest package. I guess that's what I get for spending a little more on shipping via air-mail to get it a little faster (and not by much now thanks to PF).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

I guess that's what I get for spending a little more on shipping via air-mail to get it a little faster (and not by much now thanks to PF).

Yep, I'm in same boat, paid for the express delivery and now my parcel is held by customs and almost certainly going to attract a big bill from Royal Mail.

Nest time I'll just try snail mail

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

I guess that's what I get for spending a little more on shipping via air-mail to get it a little faster (and not by much now thanks to PF).

55 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Yep, I'm in same boat, paid for the express delivery and now my parcel is held by customs and almost certainly going to attract a big bill from Royal Mail.

Nest time I'll just try snail mail

That’s been my experience too. The basic service has always got through without issue, but whenever I’ve upgraded to the faster courier services I’ve been hit with the HMRC charges

Slow and low is the way to go 😁

• Like 2

I've just pre-emptively collected the package from the depot instead of waiting for the card to be mailed to me...

Well...

RC Mart put $50 as the value on the parcel this time so here's the breakdown as per label:

£0.00 for Import Duty.

£0.00 for Excise Duty.

£7.58 for VAT.

£12.00 for the Parcel Force Handling Fee.