Busdriver

WT01 N widened

Am away for a few days on the beautiful Pembrokeshire coast. Have taken 3 cars with me. The cottage we are staying in has about 1/4 acre of roughish grass a 1 mile gravel lane and is on the river estuary. A perfect RC holiday home. So the three cars are Stadium Blitzer, Asterion XV01 and an Amarok WT01-N. The Blitzer is just great it goes over everything, the XV01 is good and handles like a dream apart from the fact that the stones on the track are just the wrong size and get into the steering all the time + on grass the Chevy tires have little or no grip. Also I think a stiffer diff oil may help. Need gaffer tape to seal the gaps. That leaves the Amarok. I'm really surprised how much I'm liking this, though it is very prone to grip rolling. I gather its possible to widen its stance to stock WT01 or even wider? Could somebody put me together a shopping list to carry out the conversion? Also needs some shocks. Any suggestions

To go wide, all you need are the suspension arms and dogbones. 

10005688 is the part number for the C parts sprue with the arms on it. You'll need two of those. 

19805551 is the part number for the dogbones. I believe you get two in a pack. 

To go a little bit wider still, you can use TG10 long axles and 10mm hexes. I would recommend the hardened ones, part number 19804996, coupled with some aftermarket 10mm clamping hexes. 

If you are after even more width, you could try the axle extenders used in the crawler scene, but I have no personal experience with these upon which to base recommendations. 

6 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Thanks for that. Do I need to make some longer steering arms?

Ah yes, I forgot about those. You'll want two 3 X 71mm threaded shafts, part number 19805583.

• Thanks 1

5B0599DA-41F7-4622-B29E-DC8F1B16D0E4.jpeg.40a5447b23997dc69527f125462b3f0d.jpegThis is where I’m running the cars. It was the Blitzers turn for 2 packs tonight. I’ve only really ever run it hat in stock tyres and on fairly hard ground. Now it has Schumacher V2/4 combo. It’s fitted with a goolrc 4300kv sensorless motor and runs on 5000 NiMh batteries . Oh Lordy Lordy what fun. Pulls super wheelies so much it’s cracked the rear of the body. I always thought the Blitzer was good fun but now I know it. The Asterion and WT1-N are going to have to put on a good show for pure grin factor😁

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I always thought the Blitzer was good fun but now I know it. The Asterion and WT1-N are going to have to put on a good show for pure grin factor😁

I haven't driven an Asterion, but I know my full-width WT-01 is loads of fun to drive. Give it a powerplant to rival that of the Blitzer, and I'm sure it will deliver the grins!

12 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Ah yes, I forgot about those. You'll want two 3 X 71mm threaded shafts, part number 19805583.

All ordered. Will have to wait til I get home to do conversion

As I'm still on holiday it was the Amarok's turn for  blast. It was almost as much fun as the blitzer, even doing end over end rolls down the hill. One thing I did notice was the lack of traction from the WT01-N standard tires. I was using it on damp grass. Are there any better tires I coulf fit?

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

As I'm still on holiday it was the Amarok's turn for  blast. It was almost as much fun as the blitzer, even doing end over end rolls down the hill. One thing I did notice was the lack of traction from the WT01-N standard tires. I was using it on damp grass. Are there any better tires I coulf fit?

I would go for the spiked Monster Beetle tyres. They grip well on grass. 

33 minutes ago, DrGoatboy said:

How were the V2/v4 on the damp grass? I have standard blitzer tyres and they are surprisingly slippy!

A lot better. Having said that the fronts weren’t on the ground much partly due to extra grip of the rears

• Thanks 1