Price_of_cider

Midnight Pumpkin QD 1/14

Hi all,

im looking to sell or swap a Tamiya midnight pumpkin QD. It is working although it seems a bit slow so might benefit from a new motor?

i have the original box (if a little moth eaten) and all radio gear is working (red band 2).

ideally I’m looking for a standard hobby grade pumpkin/ lunchbox/ monster beetle but all offers considered for both buy or swap.

many thanks

2DC4DAC0-CB9F-4DE7-BF24-D9B8301DDB0A.jpeg

4 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Put a brushless motor in it, they are great little trucks.

I like the look of that actually - is there a brushless motor that will drop straight in? Or is it likely I’ll need to do some chopping about?

cheers

You may have to drill 2 small holes in the motor plate to bolt on the new motor.

It's been years since I did the monster beetle, which is the same chassis as yours but it's an easy conversion to do.

Any 1/18th scale motor should fit. 

2030 can size, up to a 2435 should fit easy enough.

I believe this was a 2030 can size.

18turn EZRUN motor

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Try reading this...

This is great!

so I’m not particularly skilled in these areas but relatively speaking (and with some help from the old man!) this looks fairly simple to achieve?

if you were going to write me a shopping list of parts I would need to achieve this - how would it look?!! (If you get a minute and don’t mind!)

thanks

matt 

1/10 scale servo <£10 ish

1/18th scale brushless combo <£20

Gool RC do a 2435 can/ combo esc for £20ish

Radio and receiver,... Flysky GT2= £20 ish.

Small 2s lipo, maybe around 2200mah? £10?

Yes it adds up but all equipment can be reused in a different car, and at least you know what you are getting into before you start..

You may also need M3 threaded rod, 5mm adjusters and a hi-torque servo saver for the steering.

Any questions, give me a shout, I'm on here regularly.

Any servo saver will do, but the Tamiya Hi-torque one comes with the brass balls that you need for the steering rods.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Yes it adds up but all equipment can be reused in a different car, and at least you know what you are getting into before you start..

You may also need M3 threaded rod, 5mm adjusters and a hi-torque servo saver for the steering.

Perfect!!!

thanks for this - I feel a project coming on!!!

Matt 

1 hour ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Any servo saver will do, but the Tamiya Hi-torque one comes with the brass balls that you need for the steering rods.

Oh and where is the place to get all of these parts? Ebay?

Converting a QD to use hobby-grade electronics is a worthwhile project for an adult modeller looking for something different, and can be very satisfying, but if the end goal is to get a tough and capable runner for a youngster, you might be better off with your original plan to sell the QD and get a hobby-grade Pumpkin. While the QD models are quite tough and capable, their smaller size means that they aren't as good offroad as their larger non-QD brethren, and spare parts/hop-ups are easier to find for the hobby-grade models too.

• Like 2

Turnips right. The cost to upgrade the qd will be similar to upgrading a 1/10 scale, but the motor is the only bit you couldn't reuse in a bigger car.

You could even buy  a 1/10 scale esc and a 1/18th motor so that the esc could be used later for another project.

Or leave the brushed motor in and just change the 

Esc (1/10 scale brushed for original motor)

Radio and receiver

Servo

Servo saver and steering parts.

Ebay should have everything you need.

You will keep the original speed but gain reliability 

Or run the original motor on 3s lipo for extra boost to the original motor. 

You could get between £<40-80 if you sold it how it is just now.

Let us know what you plan to do..

I will add that I did this conversion on the monster beetle, probably 10 years ago, I wasn't using Lipo back then so in the video, it was still using an old 7.2volt Ni-mh battery.

Lipo is lighter and provide more torque/punch

Yours does look too nice to destroy.

If you have the original box, I would probably sell it, but the choice is yours.

Another option would be the GF01 trail monster beetle kit which uses the qd monster beetle body which would mean that your pumpkin body will fit a modern chassis.

You could sell the qd chassis on its own and still fetch a decent price.

Or maybe a QD like this ? Lunchbox gearbox and modern steering servo / ESC / NiMh battery shoe-horned in

P4190003.JPG

P4190001.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 11:50 AM, KEV THE REV said:

Or maybe a QD like this ? Lunchbox gearbox and modern steering servo / ESC / NiMh battery shoe-horned in

P4190003.JPG

P4190001.JPG

So a big lunchbox gearbox?

what type/size motor?

cheers

13 minutes ago, Price_of_cider said:

So a big lunchbox gearbox?

what type/size motor?

cheers

Yep . full rear axles / gearbox from a LB with a Reedy 540 motor

On 9/15/2020 at 1:29 PM, wolfdogstinkus said:

Hi!!

so I’m finally having a go at this! I have just purchased the servo, radio gear, battery and the motor/esc combo. 
What does a servo saver do in broad terms and what do I need the M3 rod for?

i realise I sound a bit of a numpty - this is largely because I am so I appreciate your help! 😂

cheers

matt 

You have to make a rod to connect the wheel to the steering servo. I use M3 threaded rod, Tamiya 5mm adjusters and 5mm brass balls ends.

The saver is a plastic horn with a spring that protects the servo from breaking when a wheel suffers an impact. 

There will be better pictures in my brushless thunder dragon thread which will hopefully explain better.

This shows the servo horns and servo. 

ycOpeFw.jpg

The monster beetle is slightly different but it's the same principle.

I used a standard Tamiya servo saver but if you buy the hi torque servo saver, it includes a lot of the hardware needed to connect the threatened rod to the wheels.

3 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Showing 48mph

But I do have a 44mph recorded without crashing.

v0yL9NE.jpg

Hahaha that’s brilliant!!

thanks for all your help on this - it really is much appreciated. Right.... I’m off to buy a servo saver!