Lunchy

Subaru Brat servo

Hello - 

I was looking at a Subaru Brat and was interested in getting your opinions on what would be a good servo and transmitter/receiver for it.

I have a Futaba 3004 that I have laying around.  Not sure if that is beefy enough.  For the receiver I have used Spektrum STX3 3-Channel with my lunch box and like it.  Didn't know if there was maybe a transmitter that might be a better fit for this kit.

thanks!  

servo for steering? its only a single bearing type and plastic gears, might want something a bit beefier. 

As for RX, its up to you, nothing wrong with that TX, just get another RX for it, and it can run both your lunchy and brat.

I personally use a flysky TX on about 6 different RX.

I’m a bit partial to Power HD servos. I have the 1501 MG in a Brat, Blackfoot and Monster Beetle, not the quickest but metal geared and very reliable for the money.

I started with a cheap single receiver Flysky Tx with my first car then discovered the Futaba 3PV with 10 model memory. The receivers are a bit pricey now, but I have 9 so I doubt I’ll buy any more.

I’m going to try a Flysky GT5 as it’s a 20 model memory and receivers are a 3rd of the price of the Futaba, I think the range won’t be as good or as quick to respond but for a non racer should be fine. 

• Like 1

So sounds like with the 1501 MG being 23 spline I wouldn't need anything else for the servo savers, can just use what comes with the kit.  Am I thinking correctly?

thanks 

2 hours ago, Lunchy said:

So sounds like with the 1501 MG being 23 spline I wouldn't need anything else for the servo savers, can just use what comes with the kit.  Am I thinking correctly?

thanks 

Mine are 25 spline (I think??)same as the Futaba servo savers in the kit. 
A lot of people upgrade the servo savers to the Tamiya high torque one (51000) or Kimborough. I’ve only used the kit ones myself, you can put a Zip Tie round them if they give any bother. 

I knew so should have asked here first! I picked up a couple of Power HD 9001 MG based on the reviews on Modelsport.
Only 9kg vs 17kg for the 1501 MG if the specs I found are correct. Haven’t installed them yet.
Oddly enough, couldn’t find the 1501mg listed at Modelsport.

• Like 1

Sorry @Badcrumble, I must have bough all the 1501’s 😉. Just kidding.

The Power HDs must be becoming more popular in this neck of the woods as I see more Hobby Shops stocking them now.

I’m sure the 9001’s will be fine, as it happens I have 2 of those in the post as I type for a future project myself. 

• Like 1

Re-bugged - I think you are right.  The 1501's are 25 spline.  

So if I do a 1501, what Fkysky transmitter would be could (reasonably priced)?  I see on amazon there are different options for the GT5.  I am assuming also that the Flysky would come with a receiver also??

With the receiver I have now, when I went to plug the Futaba servo in it there was a tab on the side that I had to shave off.  The receiver is the Spektrum SRX200.  If I get the 1501 with the Flysky would I still have to shave this off?

thanks again everyone!

should come with a receiver, I have the Flysky GT3B with 10 model memory, so far so good and easy to setup, and receivers are cheap too. My partner uses a GT2E for her 3 cars without issue, and I also have a GT2E as well, for a few of my not so regular runners. I get my Flysky FS-GR3E receiver from RCMart or Banggood as they are super cheap and so far, all work flawlessly.

In regards to the model memory though, I think that is only for specific settings for rates, as it is the RX that remembers the TX it is connected to, so in theory, you could have 50 cars, as long as you run one at a time, should all be able to run off the same TX.

10 hours ago, Lunchy said:

If I get the 1501 with the Flysky would I still have to shave this off?

No you wouldn’t, no tab on the 1501 plug. The brown wire is the negative so that goes where a black would go in the Receiver.

ACA5881C-0550-417C-85E6-805C97CCA341.md.

I only came across one option for the GT5 I’ve ordered that comes with a BS6 receiver (has a built in Gyro, helps stability apparently), so I’m not sure what the difference’s are between  ones you have seen?

When they first came out they where compatible with various older Flysky receivers, but if you’re starting from scratch that wouldn’t matter. 

Some of the older Flysky’s  I think needed 8 AA batteries whereas the newer ones only need 4.

Any Transmitter you buy new will come with at least 1 receiver, some come with 2 or 3. I would just check the price on additional receivers for the Transmitter and see what you would be in for to add more to it later. 

For the 1501, is there a good place in the US to by them?  Asking because I am worried about not getting an authentic product from Amazon.

thanks

Can't find one now anyway.  Are there any good Futaba options out there?  

2 hours ago, Lunchy said:

This one looks pretty good.  What are your thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/GT3B-2-4G-Flysky-FS-GT3B-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B00LP1LYAI/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Flysky+GT2E&qid=1600974165&sr=8-4

I would see if my local hobby shop can get one.

I don’t have one, so can’t comment on it unfortunately, but a quick look and it would appear to need 8x AA batteries to power it.

Most newer ones only need 4 these days. 

I believe quite a few people use these,

https://www.amazon.com/MG996R-MG996-Digital-Torque-Helicopter/dp/B07S2LS87Z/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=mg+996r+servo&qid=1600983627&sprefix=MG+996&sr=8-10

Search MG996 servo and brings up lots of options. I think they are rebranded with different names on, some have yellow stickers on some have purple.

For the money it’s worth a shot?

I have always been in the mind never to cheap out on servos, but it depends on how serious you are about your gear. Same applies to transmitter and receiver but all that said if its just to get up and running, for both £50 will get you going you always swop out at a later date 17 20 kgs servo will be plenty and metal running gear. As for servo savers, I have always set my end points and never had problems with them

16 hours ago, Lunchy said:

I have a few sets of Flysky gear and they work fine. Can you stretch to the GT3C? It comes with a lipo battery instead of needing the 8 AA batteries which will make a big difference long term. The 8 AA are heavy, and its much easier just recharging a lipo than replacing batteries. 

I finally got the brat.  Have all that I need but wanted to ask about getting the sport tuned motor - - - RS540 Sport Tuned Brushed Motor, TAM53068. 

Would this be too much for it?  I wanted to also ask about the pinion gear.  I am not to familiar with what would work best with the RS540 motor.  I know the Brat comes with 3 different size gears.  

Any help would be great!

If you want an on-road Brat, the sport tuned will give you a little more speed. Use the gear set for the 19t pinion to take full advantage.

If you want an off-road Brat, the torque tuned with the 16t pinion and gear set is the way to go.

As you noticed, you will have to change out more than just the pinion.  Refer to the manual.

Terry