Carmine A

TT-02 - my OTHER Piecemeal Build, time to refresh!!

I have to admit the front wheel are nice but it would depend on what body is going on it?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I suppose another thing to consider is how they would go with your future bodyshell. Of your shortlisted shell options, which is your favourite?

Good thought!  I'm mostly torn between the Mustang GT4 and Mercedes AMG GT3..... 

I've got time! I can't afford ANY Body for quite a while. 😞😖  Even then, a new Camera has to come first.  So I'm guessing no Body until next year....

I'm leaning towards the ones that @ACCEL gave me, with the other softer On-Road Tyres. 😉

6 minutes ago, DayRider said:

I have to admit the front wheel are nice but it would depend on what body is going on it?

See above comment!! 😊 

I am liking the Front Wheels more..... 

Very SLIGHT issue to overcome, fitting a "side wire" Lipo Batry in a TT-02.... IMG_20200916_143616.thumb.jpg.ef73fe50d5cffb72493b48cfdeaf8367.jpg

It doesn't look like much, but then it only has to protect the Propshaft in a small area. IMG_20200916_143902.thumb.jpg.105e61ea24acae73c85b1f00d4b457be.jpg

.... It might just even be THIS Battery, with 10 gauge Wires. 😉

WHEN you park an RC for a few years.... Something will inevitably BREAK! 😖😲  Fortunately, not only is it cheap and easy to replace, thanks to ANOTHER Great Guy, a new one is ON THE WAY!!! IMG_20200916_145004.thumb.jpg.de15702b09a5c713c32da91a2be4e631.jpg

Thank you so much @Juhunio!!! 😁 

I'm actually EMBARRASSED to admit that I ASKED for a new Steering Rack Kit! 😖 I feel really bad now... IMG_20200916_144521.thumb.jpg.09a04c20df16b8a86f1bbedbceafe84f.jpg

Thanks to yet another awesome Guy!! You've been awesome - and I WON'T forget this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carmine A said:

This Body is in the lead right now.... 😊 IMG_20200915_031639.thumb.jpg.4a7176e9e852d0f13affe3db69047bbb.jpg

I absolutely love this body, and if I had a spare chassis to put it on, I'd get it in a heartbeat honestly. Tamiya really outdid themselves with this one.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I absolutely love this body, and if I had a spare chassis to put it on, I'd get it in a heartbeat honestly. Tamiya really outdid themselves with this one.

They really did!! It just looks so TOUGH! 😁👍👍

11 hours ago, Carmine A said:

They really did!! It just looks so TOUGH! 😁👍👍

It is a mighty fine shell. Those black wheels of yours would look good with it. The yellow stripes shown on the box-art wheels come as part of the sticker set for the body, and you then apply them to plain black wheels:

2020-01-24_11-37-25

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

It is a mighty fine shell. Those black wheels of yours would look good with it. The yellow stripes shown on the box-art wheels come as part of the sticker set for the body, and you then apply them to plain black wheels:

2020-01-24_11-37-25

OOOOOH!!! 😁😊  I like the Wheel Stripes!  ..... Now I gotta somehow get a Body. 😖 

AND stop BREAKING the Chassis as I'm working on it!! 😠😭😭😭  You'll find out soon....

Tamiya CC-01 Barrel Spring kit. Didn't actually work well on my CC-01!! However on the Yeah Racing Alumininiumum Shocks....

They are much smoother!! IMG_20200918_144538.thumb.jpg.774b64fe867dde04a720196d5e549946.jpg

NOW, for another cool trick, taught to me by my good Friend, Mark Bryan!! 😊💯

With the TT-02 Chassis in the "High Clearance" setting, you do get more Clearance - but also those stupid extensions hanging down, almost touching the ground!! 😖 IMG_20200918_142638.thumb.jpg.661a0dddb2cbe6bcbedf397c5068c90f.jpg

You take the Cap off, and you still have all that Kingpin sticking down!! IMG_20200918_142846.thumb.jpg.14ad5b3420411ed8e68238cabc423284.jpg

So the simple yet easy to MESS UP thing to do is - CUT IT DOWN!! 😲👍👍

You want to cut off about 4mm, just enough to be flush with the edge of the "Pillow Ball" on the A-Arm IMG_20200918_143625.thumb.jpg.bb3b58782cb1572f7a5f167ce039ca74.jpg

Then, reinstall, using a thick or just hard, 3x6mm Washer... IMG_20200918_143854.thumb.jpg.f82a8684162571a3841717e37f56aed6.jpg

And Voilá!! No more LUMP by the Wheel, to get snagged on things and stuff!! 😉

• Like 1

NOW..... DO NOT DO what I just did - and go for that extra little turn of the Wrench!!!! 😠😠😠😠😭😢 IMG_20200918_144101.thumb.jpg.89b368d4873959f278be1be8cccd24fb.jpg

YUP! Snapped the Kingpin RIGHT OFF!! 😖😠👎 

Now I gotta somehow get a A Parts Tree set. Maybe the chance to get Blue? Awwwww.... I just gotta get something that's IN stock, that I can afford.............

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

ouch!

You're not kidding!! Hey, the Idea is sound.

Just don't be a GORILLA like me, reassembling it!!

LOL, yeah, I have been advising my daughter about such things as she has been building her new Terra Scorcher. There are some screws that you can get away with overtightening (eg. damper mounting bolts with nuts on the lower suspension arms) but others that you must not overtighten such as the gearbox to tub screws etc or they just crack the plastic.

She has done really well, she got her chassis finished tonight, done 99% of the build herself so far and not got a single crack anywhere - this is better than me.... not following my own advice, I promptly overtightened a wheel nut on my buggy and cracked a wheel DOH! It is just so tempting to give it that last 1/4 turn..... 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

LOL, yeah, I have been advising my daughter about such things as she has been building her new Terra Scorcher. There are some screws that you can get away with overtightening (eg. damper mounting bolts with nuts on the lower suspension arms) but others that you must not overtighten such as the gearbox to tub screws etc or they just crack the plastic.

She has done really well, she got her chassis finished tonight, done 99% of the build herself so far and not got a single crack anywhere - this is better than me.... not following my own advice, I promptly overtightened a wheel nut on my buggy and cracked a wheel DOH! It is just so tempting to give it that last 1/4 turn..... 

It's ALWAYS tempting.... Since Tamiya uses several different grades of Plastic, depending on the use of the Part, it always good to let the SCREW tell you when it's in correctly. 

And resist that "one more turn"!! We're ALL guilty at one time or another.

• Like 2

OK my Friends... NUTTY IDEA ALERT!!!💡😜 IMG_20200918_144956.thumb.jpg.b19f1123f23d17546b995cdd00af10bb.jpg

Thing is, unless you have the wonderfully REDESIGNED TT-02S, the A-Arms on the venerable TT-02 Chassis is GOING to be SLOPPY!! 😖 

I decided to try to get rid of some of the SLOP. Upper Arms particularly, have just enough end play where the Inner Pins are fitted into the Plastic "Bearings", to give a couple of millimeters of fore and aft play, which affects Toe In/Out. 

FORTUNATELY (for me) when I first assembled this, I applied Tamiya AW Grease to all the Upper and Lower A-Arm Pins. Several who didn't lubricate those Pins - have likely WORN out those Pins or Bearings so much, that replacement/upgrade is the only real option.... 😞😖  

For THOSE with minimal wear, or even a new Build.... THIS could be an option for you!! 😊💯 

I didn't photo document the actual Procedure on this, BUT if there's any real interest - I'll be as thorough as possible when I do the Rears! 😉  (even though it's not as critical as the Fronts, the ARMS and "Bearings" are the same!) 

SO.... what the HE🏒🏒 did I discover?? 

Those "Bearings" in Parts A2, A7, and A9, are a bit Hard to the point of almost being brittle. (As I discovered when I SNAPPED A7!!)  

The Upper Arms (B13 and B17) are softer, but more of a Nylon/Delrin type of Plastic - Soft but a bit Slippery. They actually Wear out LESS! One of the MYSTERIES of the Universe - how SOFT Plastic wears out HARD Materials (ABS, Brass, Kinves and Razor Blades!!)😲  So we're dealing with the Bearing Part.... 

Like I mentioned 10 Years earlier, at the beginning of this Post!!.....  The Play is minimal, but causes significant movement at the Wheel end.  In the past, I've wrapped a layer of Alumininium Foil around a Pin like that, to shim out the Play... 

But in this case, the Free play is so small that .002" Foil DOESN'T FIT. SO, FINALLY my Idea!!! 😜 

I felt that those Bearings only needed MICRONS of slack taken up on the Circumference. That brings us to the CA Cement - THIN. 

I CAREFULLY applied layers of CA Cement all around the Bearing Surface - letting each Layer Dry, and fitting the A-Arm Pin in - until it became a very snug fit. NOT TIGHT, just snug enough to slide in with slight friction. 

AFTER achieving that I applied a Liberal Coating of "My AW Grease"!! IMG_20200918_145417.thumb.jpg.3548bc0cafb6d69fcd23155d7233cb4d.jpg

Which, as a select few of you now know, is Permatex Anti Seize Lubricant!!

This is my latest Discovery!! IMG_20200909_103950.thumb.jpg.5f39ade001874843e64742efe8c4d641.jpg

CONSIDERABLY less expensive option than Tamiya AW Grease!! Nearly the same Price, but for almost 20X MORE Product!!! 😊💯👍👍  I checked MSDS Sheets on both AW Grease and Anti Seize Lubricant... SAME main Ingredients!! Only real difference is, the Anti Seize is a bit thinner than AW Grease. Not much... Like the difference between 8000-9000wt CST for AS, and 24,000-26,000wt CST for AW. The thinner AS Lube makes it perfect for most Gears, Hinge Pins - and in the case of the TT02 Front Diff - significantly TIGHTENED up the stock Gear Diff!!! 💯👍👍 (I filled the Diff Case like an Oil Diff, but THIS won't leak out!)

BACK ON POINT - So the Layers of CA Cement added the several Microns of "Shimming" to those Bearings.  But Also - the Cement actually adds a Harder layer of protection against Rapid Wear! 😊

(Not permanent, but it does help protect the Bearing Surface from being tore up by the abrasive Soft Plastic Pins!) IMG_20200918_145751.thumb.jpg.2911ba31918c296a1841ff25bce9dfbe.jpg

HOW DOES IT WORK?? Here's a quick Video showing the results...

It's something that as I said, CAN be messy, and needs some care when applying the Cement - but it gives RESULTS!!! 👌👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 

SORRY this was so LONG!! Different People understand different things. (Just Human Nature)  I wanted to try my best not to leave anything to doubt!! 😉 

(.... And I'm LONG WINDED at times!!)

Well........ It worked well for me. What I haven't BROKEN on the Front End is pretty tight! 

Got the new Parts coming, from the most unlikely source. Should be here by Thursday.... Maybe not enough time to compete by Saturday Evening. My fault 😖

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Maybe not enough time to compete by Saturday Evening. My fault 😖

Compete? is that the postal race challenge?

I know that feeling! All four of my fastest buggies (Avante chassis'd cars plus my modified Terra Scorcher) are in bits on the bench waiting on parts and my SRB has no motor or radio gear in it and quite frankly would be left standing by my daughters cars.

I could do with a few more weeks...... I guess I could at least enter my excuse into the competition LOL

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Compete? is that the postal race challenge?

YUP... Might have made it - until I BROKE IT!!! 😠😳😢  I'll have to see how close my M05 will be by then.

• Like 1

@mud4fun @Carmine A

Don't worry - if you don't make it for this round, another will start straight after. I hope to keep this going until the Coronapocalypse is over and we can get back to normal racing, and maybe even beyond of it proves popular. 

Also, as it is just for fun, even if your car is a bit broken or not quite finished, why not give it a go (if it can still be made to move)? Whatever ails it can be used as your excuse in the novelty category!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1