krisby

Scale sizes

I'm not sure the CC01 scale size is accurate. I've not completed my Land Freeder yet so can't be sure, but I have a CC01 Land Cruiser that is "1/10" scale supposedly. Yet it is dwarfed by a 1/10 scale bruiser clone, and a hornet with a beetle body mounted is bigger too,  The scale just seems wrong, I would say it was more a 1/12 scale, especially comparing to the Hilux, I mean the land cruiser 40 was not a huge vehicle, but it wasn't tiny either.

Anyone else wonder about the scale sizes of their RC? 

• Like 1

1/10th scale and other common scales are more of an approximation of the chassis size you can expect than any true scale of the body.

Matteo did an interesting video about the size differences between a 1/10th scale Traxxas Defender versus a 1/10th scale Tamiya Defender:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lol... that is right, it's not true scale.  It is more like, "Tamiya came up with that scale back in 1970's and that's what we call most 12-15 inch long RC chassis."  

That’s what you all get for working in fractions.. the German metric ISO 0.1 scale cars would have been perfect...

That's always been bothering me. I have Hilux, Wrangler, Clod and Rough Rider right now and they have huge scale differences between them. For example in real size Rough Rider fits the bed of a Chevy truck but in Tamiya scale they are almost same size. I had a real size Hilux and I know that it's a tiny truck and much smaller than a Wrangler and Chevy truck. I would say Hilux is a true 1/10 since Tamiya dimensions are pretty close to catalog dimensions. Rough Rider should be somewhere around 1/9 and Clod might be as small as a 1/12, and Wrangler fits between those two. Tamiya SJ30 body is a 1/10 too if you ignore that it's shortened.

1.jpg.58d2e04062b56eb7f4e84ccc1c43b3fb.jpg

fdg.thumb.jpg.1519acf428efc031813a1674a249dab7.jpg

^^^ Blazer is a giant compared to Hilux, but perspective...

rrrrrrrrrrr.thumb.png.61831e32cb590f3e8a641a33fd9567c5.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Blissard said:

For example in real size Rough Rider fits the bed of a Chevy truck

Why do I now have the urge to buy a Rough Rider and one of the trucks to replicate this?... Which is the biggest Tamiya pick-up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee76 said:

Why do I now have the urge to buy a Rough Rider and one of the trucks to replicate this?... Which is the biggest Tamiya pick-up?

I think you have to shrink the Rough Rider to 1/20 to replicate that photo :)

Biggest Tamiya pickup I have is Hilux. All Blackfoots, F350s, and Clod bodies are miniscule compared to  Hilux.

1.thumb.jpg.69761d9feefdbb01d9d82ff4067f9bb5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Blissard said:

Biggest Tamiya pickup I have is Hilux. All Blackfoots, F350s, and Clod bodies are miniscule compared to  Hilux.

You’ve either just saved me a lot of money or cost me a lot.. I’ve not decided yet :)

38 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

You’ve either just saved me a lot of money or cost me a lot.. I’ve not decided yet :)

Hehe, it's a good investment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blissard said:

The original photo showing the real rough rider 'fitting in the bed' of the truck actuall shows it not fitting in very well at all - the front wheels are resting on the cab or thereabouts and the rear wheels overhang the tailgate! I'm sure you could replicate something similar to that with your hilux (which is in all likelihood smaller than the truck in the photo) without the need to reduce the size of your rough rider by a factor of 2...

6 hours ago, rich_f said:

The original photo showing the real rough rider 'fitting in the bed' of the truck actuall shows it not fitting in very well at all - the front wheels are resting on the cab or thereabouts and the rear wheels overhang the tailgate! I'm sure you could replicate something similar to that with your hilux (which is in all likelihood smaller than the truck in the photo) without the need to reduce the size of your rough rider by a factor of 2...

You're right, you can replicate that photo using Tamiya Hilux, extending to long bed would help a lot. Also my photo is misleading because I narrowed the track width on my Rough Rider so it looks like it might fit. There's still huge scale difference between them though.

I think it would be best to use a rc4wd Blazer body turned into long bed pickup and than place a Rough Rider with narrower track and rear tires for a matching scale.

img50_19092009220025_9.jpg.b24fbfd4bbe5c9f0f0516f3375c5d4e9.jpg

58015_3.jpg.5a42e3cab86b73236a74074f86cc22cb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for Matteos vid, I'll go watch it.

This is the image that irked me about the size differences, other models haven't really bothered me in terms of scale, including knowing full well a Rough Rider is not scale, but just seeing the CC01 vs even a Blackfoot, Hornet, Brat it is not right, but vs the Scotty Hilux, it was in my face.

tamiyascale.jpg

Having watched Matteos vid it makes sense and looking at the models in a different way. I'm at work now so not sure on the windscreen differences for example, but the doors do look a similar size, so the wheels and length of the hilux just accentuate the size difference, even though in reality its not that great. Just like comparing a bottom of the range Ford Ranger with on road tires vs an XLT with all the bits and bobs.

I think it would depend on the body used. My CC-01 with Pajero (metal top) body is pretty accurate in scale.