mud4fun

The trio - build of Vanquish, Avante 2001 & Egress

Wow im loving that greeny petrolly blue body colour!!! Not a tamiya colour ive seen before - can you remember what it was?

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 4:35 PM, Superluminal said:

Wow im loving that greeny petrolly blue body colour!!! Not a tamiya colour ive seen before - can you remember what it was?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Fun facts of the day, as evidence to my comment above that these buggies are heavy compared with my daily basher/racer T'shot's:

Terra Scorcher/Thundershot bathtub chassis - 81g

Egress Carbon Fibre upper and lower chassis decks - 95g 

Avante 2001 FRP upper and lower decks - 131g

and you think that is bad enough:

Avante 2001 set of four hex drive nuts - 11.5g

Terra Scorcher aftermarket (modelsport) thin alloy hex drives set of four - 4.5g

multiply all these excess weights over every component and it explains why my Avante 2001 weighed 175g more than my Terra Scorcher in race ready condition using identical motors, batteries and ESC's!

Nice compilation of data!

Could you state the Vanquish, too? I have the feeling, it could be lighter with the tube chassis than the 2001?;) 

On 9/17/2020 at 5:53 PM, ruebiracer said:

Nice compilation of data!

Could you state the Vanquish, too? I have the feeling, it could be lighter with the tube chassis than the 2001?;) 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mud4fun said:

I assume most of it is to do with looks rather than performance.....

I'm guessing the thinking was that once you've sandwiched two sheets of it together the resulting assembly is stiffer, stronger, more durable and will survive more disassembly reassembly cycles than an ABS tub without a large weight penalty. Also less likely to melt. BITD you either had an aluminium tub or composite decks on the pure racers but part of that was probably the relative ease of manufacture compared to a moulded plastic. Once glass re-enforced plastics came along then the tub came back in to fashion. 

Didn't look as good as composites and aluminium though :)

• Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 7:42 AM, Howards said:

I'm guessing the thinking was that once you've sandwiched two sheets of it together the resulting assembly is stiffer, stronger, more durable and will survive more disassembly reassembly cycles than an ABS tub without a large weight penalty. Also less likely to melt. BITD you either had an aluminium tub or composite decks on the pure racers but part of that was probably the relative ease of manufacture compared to a moulded plastic. Once glass re-enforced plastics came along then the tub came back in to fashion. 

Didn't look as good as composites and aluminium though :)

On 9/15/2020 at 3:07 PM, mud4fun said:

I managed to strip the Avante 2001 down, what a flipping PITA this was, 3 hours of my life. I swear I could have stripped and rebuilt a Terra Scorcher in the time it took me to get the damned countersunk screws out of the chassis on this. Most of them had been either rounded off or worn away and all of them were seized solid in the alloy posts. I had to use the dremel to cut slots in some in order to extract them and on others I managed to get a very large pair of pliers to rotate the post off the screw.....

NOW you've experienced, in full TERROR, why many of us invest in TITANUIM Screw Sets!!!! 😜😖😠😠

Not just for esthetics, or because they weigh 1/4th what Steel weighs.... 

But because they can be REMOVED after hard use without having to use Drills, Taps, TORCHES, Impact Wrenches or C-4 EXPLOSIVES!!! LOL!! 😜😂😄😂

They're not CHEAP. People like me actually have to plan for it - but OMG it's worth it! 😊👍👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/22/2020 at 8:19 PM, Carmine A said:

NOW you've experienced, in full TERROR, why many of us invest in TITANUIM Screw Sets!!!! 😜😖😠😠

Not just for esthetics, or because they weigh 1/4th what Steel weighs.... 

But because they can be REMOVED after hard use without having to use Drills, Taps, TORCHES, Impact Wrenches or C-4 EXPLOSIVES!!! LOL!! 😜😂😄😂

They're not CHEAP. People like me actually have to plan for it - but OMG it's worth it! 😊👍👍

• Haha 1

I MISS MY AVANTE 1988!! 💔😭 There, I said it. 

Next year, when I can officially begin my Hobby in earnest, I'm getting the Avante 2001 and the Vanquish - which I haven't owned before.  Those are down a little bit on the "Post Inheritance" shopping list... Right after the FF-03, M07, M08 and maybe Clodbuster.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

LOL, I just used copperslip on the threads on those and thankfully stainless is harder so less likely to round off when undoing them :-) fingers crossed..... mind you, I may get into habit of removing them every few years to keep everything free.

You will likely be OK with Stainless Screws - as long as they're NOT Phillips Head! 😲😖  The Copper Anti Seize Lubricant should definitely help them not to become permanent parts of the Chassis! 

You MIGHT want to consider the Avante 88's Lexan Undertray. Reproductions are cost effective, should fit all 3, and is lightweight!  I found it very good at protecting the Chassis from scoring, scratching and debris. 😉

• Thanks 1