mud4fun

The trio - build of Vanquish, Avante 2001 & Egress

On 9/30/2020 at 7:14 PM, ruebiracer said:

Looks cool next to the Vanquish, but I think you turned the winglets the wrong way after reassembling!;) Or you found it nicer this way?

Both cars are stunning looking, for me (and my past) the Vanquish as a liitle bit more tempting, but the 2001 is a so cool reincarnation of the original Avante shape, that you have to love it, too. :wub:

• Haha 2

No problem! I cut mine out from a piece of Lexan myself to make new ones, so I have the shape now in mind. That´s why I noticed after a while.:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

Mounting wings the wrong side around is a all-time-classic. At least for me. :lol:

• Haha 2

Wow, now your decals really transform the looks! I like it a lot!:wub: Same for the wheels/tires. I usually can´t see modern 2,2' wheels on the Avante generation, but with the black wheels and the oldschool Schumacher profile it´s not so obvious somehow. Guess you used MCI stickers for it?

Keen on your custom Shock tower and the final tweaks! And let us see the inside in the end please!:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2020 at 5:09 AM, ruebiracer said:

Wow, now your decals really transform the looks! I like it a lot!:wub: Same for the wheels/tires. I usually can´t see modern 2,2' wheels on the Avante generation, but with the black wheels and the oldschool Schumacher profile it´s not so obvious somehow. Guess you used MCI stickers for it?

Keen on your custom Shock tower and the final tweaks! And let us see the inside in the end please!:rolleyes:

i'm no guru on shocks, but i think the less holes just slows down reaction time thus giving more time for them before they bottom out,

heck i'm still trying to figure out how to open these little bottles:lol:

all i know is that the Avante shocks sure extend at an extreme angle. i suppose for lateral support on turns.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, mud4fun said:

@ACCEL @ruebiracer @Carmine A and anybody else, can you help please?

I have fitted a bespoke carbon egress shock tower to the Avante2001, the shocks are 'frankenstein' units made up of DT03 hop up bodies and CVA mini shock kit long lower mounts, terra scorcher piston rods (I think) and yellow CVA piston discs (2 hole) plus Avante2001 tapered front springs and spring cups. Shocks are filled with schumacher 500# shock oil. 

I now have sufficient vertical travel to allow the chassis to bottom out just before the shocks eg. limiting risk of destroying shocks/towers etc in a hard landing from a high jump. However, the front end is a little too springy for my liking.

Before I spend another week trying to find a spring or oil combination that makes the front a little softer, could you advise if a softer or harder oil will help, or maybe changing to a 1 hole piston disc or will I need to change springs? I have plenty of different rate springs BUT they are not tapered so I will need to stand off the lower shock mount and fit a wider spring cup.

Now I admit that some of the gains here are down to the large pin spikes flattening, around 3mm, so on mini pins the chassis would be bottoming out at the same time as the shocks so not quite ideal but I'll probably run the large spikes on the garden track anyway as it is a good mix of dirt, grass, gravel and has two good jumps.

Any help much appreciated.

What is really annoying is that my Terra Scorcher seems perfect on both tarmac and rough ground with its stock yellow CVA front springs (with a wider spacer), it tracks arrow straight at 25mph over hundreds of feet and that is no exaggeration - I can literally line it up with a long straight joint in the tarmac car park, hit the throttle without using any steering input and it will do a perfect straight line over 300 feet. In comparison the Avante hits the slightest imperfection and bounces off line and needs alot of steering correction.

What I have noticed is that the weight on each front tyre is almost identical (314g for terra scorcher, 317g for Avante2001) in full race condition (with ESC, servo, battery and transponder etc). The Avante used to be alot heavier but I've replaced all the FRP with carbon. I suspect I need softer springs?

avante2001_front_shocks (3).jpg

You probably really have to much spring stiffness now:

You stand up the shocks much more upright with the Egress shock tower, and you reduced the weight slightly. I would try to fit a non tapered spring. This gives your shocks a little more travel, so you will bottom out before the shocks also with the smaller tires.

I can recommend the golden Re-Re Egress spring. It works nice both on my Vanqish with Hicap Setup as on the original 2001 shock tower on mine. Can´t remember what oil I used, but it was below 500 for sure. Wanted it to float nicely. 

I could aslo clear the upright, although using the bigger spring. I´ll make some pics for you tomorrow, as I´m on a onroad race this weekend.;)

You could also think about the Rere Egress rear spring to match the golden color. When you may order the new VQS Hicap set, these springs are anyway included in the set. So this set is the cheapest way to get Hicaps ever since in my eyes. I´ll grab one for spares next days...

My 2001 was intended to stay with the original black CVA´s and get the best performance out of it. And these old ones can really work nice, too.

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 2

On 10/4/2020 at 7:20 AM, ruebiracer said:

You probably really have to much spring stiffness now:

You stand up the shocks much more upright with the Egress shock tower, and you reduced the weight slightly. I would try to fit a non tapered spring. This gives your shocks a little more travel, so you will bottom out before the shocks also with the smaller tires.

I can recommend the golden Re-Re Egress spring. It works nice both on my Vanqish with Hicap Setup as on the original 2001 shock tower on mine. Can´t remember what oil I used, but it was below 500 for sure. Wanted it to float nicely. 

I could aslo clear the upright, although using the bigger spring. I´ll make some pics for you tomorrow, as I´m on a onroad race this weekend.;)

You could also think about the Rere Egress rear spring to match the golden color. When you may order the new VQS Hicap set, these springs are anyway included in the set. So this set is the cheapest way to get Hicaps ever since in my eyes. I´ll grab one for spares next days...

My 2001 was intended to stay with the original black CVA´s and get the best performance out of it. And these old ones can really work nice, too.

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 1

I agree with Matthias... I prefer plusher Suspension, so it acts like a real Car.

With Motors - Turn count isn't everything! There's Magnet strength, Brush Density, Armature resistance, and a few others.   My 19T Reedy Motor Absolutely dominates over my 11T GoolRC - better quality components... 😉

• Like 2

On 10/5/2020 at 3:46 PM, Carmine A said:

Definitely looks more like a F1 than a Buggy now!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well Sir, you're well dialed in! How about the OLDEST Mudlet?? How's HER speed!?

On 10/6/2020 at 1:04 AM, Carmine A said:

Well Sir, you're well dialed in! How about the OLDEST Mudlet?? How's HER speed!?

• Haha 2