Sign in to follow this  
burakol

ReRe Manta Ray broke... again.. hop up parts recommendation?

This is probably the third time something in my ReRe Manta Ray broke... 

First was the front hubs, second were the front diff case and tub chassis, and now, the third to break is the servo saver part c3. 

This is my son's car and I am trying to take advantage of every moment he asks me to drive it... but it is disappointing in a sense that each time he uses it, something breaks.... while I recently changed it to a 17.5t brushless motor, I have dialed down the EPA and D/R on the throttle channel to limit his speed to 50% on a NiMh battery... while he likes to grip the throttle, I know he is also very mindful of trying to avoid any massive hits or erratic driving... 

Anyhow, I don't think i can just buy the part by itself so I need to get a whole parts tree (100005377), but I am also thinking of what hopup part can I use? I see a lot of Tamiya hi torque servo saver but I am not quite sure if it will fit the Manta Ray... 

So far I've only done a very basic upgrade to this car... bearings, alum motor mount, Hardened prop shaft and Plastic idler gear.

Since the servo saver broke and I cannot just buy that one specific piece, I wanted to know if there is another option or upgrade I can use for this part? On the same account, what other plastic parts should I consider changing to a different material? I'd appreciate your input (and reference to a part number/online link). 

Thank you. 

The high torque servo saver fits a wide range of Tamiya models. It would be a worthwhile upgrade for your Manta Ray, as long as your steering servo can handle it. If the servo itself is a basic model with plastic gears, you run the risk of stripping it. However if you are running a metal geared servo, go for it!

As for other upgrades, the alloy ballraced steering rack reduces slop, and turnbuckle tierods/track rods improve adjustability, but neither really offer enhanced durability, which I'm guessing is what you are looking for at the moment.

If you need another kit standard servo saver and your in the uk i can probably find one in the parts box you can have.

As Turnip says above you wont make it more robust though beyond what youve done already. I think even turned down a 17.5t motor must still pack some wallop. Have you tried it on the standard silver can? It might be slow enough to give your son some more reaction time between obstacles.

21 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

The high torque servo saver fits a wide range of Tamiya models. It would be a worthwhile upgrade for your Manta Ray, as long as your steering servo can handle it. If the servo itself is a basic model with plastic gears, you run the risk of stripping it. However if you are running a metal geared servo, go for it!

As for other upgrades, the alloy ballraced steering rack reduces slop, and turnbuckle tierods/track rods improve adjustability, but neither really offer enhanced durability, which I'm guessing is what you are looking for at the moment.

Correct... durability is the main priority... so I guess the plastics offer more impact resistance since they flex more... 

Yeah, basically I'm just using an older hitec servo for it... I guess for its purpose, buying a stock servo saver makes more sense in this case... I was just wondering why it failed so early... might be because of the head on collision it had a few weeks ago which damaged the tub and front diff case... 

9 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

If you need another kit standard servo saver and your in the uk i can probably find one in the parts box you can have.

As Turnip says above you wont make it more robust though beyond what youve done already. I think even turned down a 17.5t motor must still pack some wallop. Have you tried it on the standard silver can? It might be slow enough to give your son some more reaction time between obstacles.

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I'm in the US... i might just have to bite the bullet and buy a parts tree..  at least I would have some spares at my disposal should another part fail within the same sprue... or 3d print one but it might not last a day... 

It was on a standard silver can before but I am in the process of changing most of the cars into brushless for electrical efficiency... I might have to dial down the settings on the throttle a little more to slow it further... problem is if I go back to the silver can, then I wont get the satisfaction I'm looking for when it's my turn to drive... 😜

• Like 1

If you're using a Hitec servo with the kit-supplied servo saver, that could be a big problem. Tamiya have never included the correct fittings for Hitec servos (24 spline output shaft) in their kits, and some people try to get by using the Futaba (25 spline) adapter, which kinda-sorta works for a while. I would replace it with a Kimbrough servo saver designed for Hitec servos. They only cost a few dollars and are basically indestructible.

32 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

If you're using a Hitec servo with the kit-supplied servo saver, that could be a big problem. Tamiya have never included the correct fittings for Hitec servos (24 spline output shaft) in their kits, and some people try to get by using the Futaba (25 spline) adapter, which kinda-sorta works for a while. I would replace it with a Kimbrough servo saver designed for Hitec servos. They only cost a few dollars and are basically indestructible.

I never thought about it... not sure (didnt know)if this hitec servo is 24 spline since the kit supplied servo part went in without issues, but i will double check it

i.counted multiple times and it is 25... the tamiya/futaba servo horn goes it without problems... fwiw im using a hitec standard servo hs303. I could not find any literature about it online that specified the spline count... although most of the info i found lists hitec servo as having 24 spline, some hitec servos have 25 splines... 

I think a 17.5T should be fine for the Manta Ray, if you haven't put the high speed gears in then you are geared too low for it anyway so it won't be anything like at the full speed that the motor is capable of.  With the smallest spur/biggest pinion available with the High Speed Gears you are just in the right range for a 17.5T motor.  I have a silvercan in my Top Force and compared to my sons Ae B6D they are basically the same speed at 70% EPA on the B6D.  That is geared properly with timing set etc, if they were geared the same I think the silvercan would probably be faster.

I have the Tamiya Hi Torque servo saver in my Top Force and it fits fine and so far hasn't broken.  You can buy an alloy horn which will fit the standard servo saver too which may be the best option.  The kit servo saver is very loose compared to the Hi Torque one which is possibly better for your son (I'm assuming he's younger/inexperienced given you are turning the EPA down).  I broke a couple of kit ones in a Monster Beetle and switched to the alloy GPM one.  Pretty sure its this one, I think this would fit on my Top Force as well, so should fit the Manta Ray.

https://www.rcmart.com/gpm-racing-gpm-aluminum-3mm-thread-servo-saver-blue-for-tamiya-dt03-cc01-m1025-hummer-wild-willy-2-tt02b-dt3023-3mm-b-00062937

It may be worth swapping the servo too, I run the JX 4409MG in mine but the SPT 4412LV is probably better and both are about USD13 shipped from Banggood.  Both have metal gears and are pretty durable.

4 hours ago, burakol said:

I never thought about it... not sure (didnt know)if this hitec servo is 24 spline since the kit supplied servo part went in without issues, but i will double check it

i.counted multiple times and it is 25... the tamiya/futaba servo horn goes it without problems... fwiw im using a hitec standard servo hs303. I could not find any literature about it online that specified the spline count... although most of the info i found lists hitec servo as having 24 spline, some hitec servos have 25 splines... 

Huh, they must have finally decided to join the rest of the universe. Good for them.

I 3d printed the part and it held fine after a few minutes of run... I dont expect it to be as durable as the stock part but it would do for now... plus I can always 3d print a bunch if needed... I would probably upgrade the steering system as well when the time comes... 

• Like 1

Just now, Superluminal said:

Did you model and print the part yourself? Any pics?

Thingiverse... I just had to rescale it for a good fit... 

16002953482816125862159831411042.jpg

• Like 1