Sign in to follow this  
rwordenjr

Fox/Hotshot excess battery/esc wires

I’m sure you’ve all seen or dealt with the battery/esc wires hanging out of the side of the Fox/Hotshots. Anyone ever heard of a way to reduce or fix that ? It sure doesn’t look good and the wires are pretty close to the ground. 

Reusable cable ties!?

I like the connector hanging out the side, it's just like when I was younger, same imagery.. 

I used extra long (and larger gauge) wire that follows the lines of the body and stickers, then secured with wire ties.

Foxy1.jpg

• Like 3

Both chassis are a bit awkward for getting the wires in.  I found on my HotShot, the standard-fit plugs were in just the wrong place to allow the wires to twist.  Best solution is to use your own wires at the exact routing you need.  I had to trim a lot around the edge of the HotShot body to stop it getting forced out of shape by the motor wires.

As for battery wires - this is a long-standing annoyance for me.  For a time, there was a round-case LiPo on the market that had banana plugs on the top.  This was much better for HS/Fox/Frog/M-chassis where the battery wires are otherwise in the path of traffic.  I get tired of adding heatshrink to my battery wires after a collection with a barrier or another racer puts a gouge in the silicon.

For me, the "wire poking out the side" thing ruins the look of the car too.  I tend to arrange my wires so the battery wire is tucked under the battery strap, then up-and-over the top of the battery to reach the plug.  The balance lead is also bound up behind the battery wire so it doesn't get snagged and ripped off.  It's a fiddle that could be solved with top-plug batteries (or square packs) and it's annoying that square packs are banned where I've raced M-chassis.

I've replaced all the Tamiya battery connectors with Deans connectors, so I just the wires to the length required.

17 hours ago, Killajb said:

I used extra long (and larger gauge) wire that follows the lines of the body and stickers, then secured with wire ties.

Foxy1.jpg

Brushless fox ?? Oh my 

yah..   a 14t Tamiya brushless one at that.  Squeeze the accelerator and the front wheels can lift off the ground when traction is good.  Top speed is neat to watch.. but slowing down makes one pucker a bit if it's not a wide open area because things can get squirrely.

15 hours ago, Killajb said:

yah..   a 14t Tamiya brushless one at that.  Squeeze the accelerator and the front wheels can lift off the ground when traction is good.  Top speed is neat to watch.. but slowing down makes one pucker a bit if it's not a wide open area because things can get squirrely.

That’s awesome ! I don’t drive mine much but will test out 2s Lipo on it soon. 

43E1E98F-466E-4FC2-B59E-95A80C66BA69.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Killajb said:

Love that color!!!!!!   Very nice job sir!  

Thanks ! Yours is nice too. Do you have videos of it running with that motor ? 

5 minutes ago, Killajb said:

I don't..  I'm always alone when I run my cars and can't do the one-hand drive/video thing.

Oh okay, no worries. You have steel pinion or stock aluminum installed ?

stock aluminum.. but I'm not hard on it at all.  I drive it as if it were a 20+ year-old design :P