Pilotguy604

Motor connection - Help needed!

Hi all.

Fairly recent return to the hobby here. Just picked up a Hobbywing Quicrun ESC/Motor combo. ESC is the 10BL60 sensored and the motor is the 3650 G2 (sensored).

It's going in a Tamiya XV-01 chassis, and the ESC leads don't reach, so I am going to create a connection in the middle with 4mm bullets. Easy enough. However, I'm trying to figure out how to attach the new wire leads to the motor posts, so that they come out vertically, instead of horizontally (see photo). The kit came with these tiny bullets (see photos below). Hobbywing suggests running the wires horizontally in (per instructions).

So, I'm wondering, how would you attack this? This is my first time doing this sort of thing and I'd like to not mess it up, lol.

Do I need the tiny bullets if I'm coming out the top? If so, should I solder them to the wires first?

I've watched several YouTube videos and I'm just trying to figure out the best way to attack this. I would tin the motor posts, yes? And the wire leads? Shrink tube on the posts afterwards? (I see a lot of motor connections without shrink tubing on them).

Any suggestions appreciated! Sorry for the NOOB Qs...

20200916_092913 (1).jpeg

20200916_093004 (1).jpeg

20200916_093204 (1).jpeg

20200916_093648 (1).jpeg

Everything is entirely up to you.

Those male connectors are for the motor plate?  If they make female connectors more secure, I'd use them. Even if you solder wires to the female plugs vertically.  Or you could solder directly to the motor plate without connectors if the wires could be soldered securely.  

Some people even bypass the whole thing and solder directly from motor to ESC. (but that means no way to disconnect: if you upgrade your motor, you'd have to desolder and solder again)

There is nothing wrong with using 4mm connectors in the middle also, the resistance isn't all the huge with 4mm connectors, so it should be fine.     

And it doesn't matter if they are soldered horizontally or vertically. As long as electrons can go through, it's all good.  

• Like 1

OK, first of all, you can forget about the tiny bullets; you don't need those.

The esc wires don't reach the motor posts, so you have 2 options:

1. Carefully heat up the solder on the connection points between the existing wires and esc and remove those wires from the esc. Get longer wires, tin the tips, and resolder onto the esc, being careful not to hold the iron on the esc contacts for too long so you don't damage it. Then solder the other ends of the wires to the motor. Those motor posts are actually detachable, so you won't end up with a permanently connected motor/esc combo. This is the neater solution.

2. Solder extensions onto the existing esc wires so that the final combine wire lengths allow you to reach the motor. This solution is safer, since you don't need to get the iron anywhere near the esc, so no risk of damaging it. In this case, place heat-shrink tubing on the connections between the original wires and the extention wires so they don't touch eachother by mistake.

When you solder the wires to the motor posts, tin both of them so they make a good, strong connection. No heatshrink is required here as the wires are not going to touch eachother once they're in place.

Hope that helped.

• Like 2

Excellent. Thank you both for your replies and input. The little barrel things (tiny bullets) in my palm in the first pic are what was throwing me off.

I didn't think of added resistance from adding the bullets in the middle, didn't realize this was a thing. I may go with DeadMeat's "solder extensions" method (#2). I saw a great tutorial on this where you take some thinner gauge wire to tie the two (tinned) ends together and fuse them together. Just gotta remember to slide the heat-shrink over first...

Just waiting on some 63/37 solder to arrive today (couldn't find any locally) then I'll get to it in the next day or two. I've gotta solder a connector onto the esc battery leads too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pilotguy604 said:

Excellent. Thank you both for your replies and input. The little barrel things (tiny bullets) in my palm in the first pic are what was throwing me off.

Those barrel things in your hand are replacement springs for what hold the yellow, blue and orange tabs on the motor. 
Give them a tug and you will see them slide off. 
This helps as the wires don’t have to be soldered while attached to the motor as well. 

I had to extend the wires on my Blitzer chassis with. Quicrun system. It would have been nice to match the yellow blue orange but I only had red and black wires.

B71CA11A-D861-452A-9450-81529EFDB0B7.md.

I used these bullet connectors to join them.

B4609D44-38E7-45A9-B66A-CCDF6522F25D.md.

Just solder you’re wire into each end of them.

The nice thing about the Hobbywing wires is they are pre-tinned for soldering too. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Those barrel things in your hand are replacement springs for what hold the yellow, blue and orange tabs on the motor. 
Give them a tug and you will see them slide off. 
This helps as the wires don’t have to be soldered while attached to the motor as well. 

Ah this makes much more sense now. Thank you.