I am thinking about getting an M-05 based car. Originally I was looking at the NSU. Slightly quirky but somehow I just like it. Then I realsed that there was a new street Suzuki swift avaialble but theres a problem. At Tamico its almost 35 euro more than the MX 5, Mazda or NSU. Any ideas why or is it because its the new kid on the block.

Other than bearings and possibly a 13.5t brushless motor does the M-05 need much else?

30 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

I am thinking about getting an M-05 based car. Originally I was looking at the NSU. Slightly quirky but somehow I just like it. Then I realsed that there was a new street Suzuki swift avaialble but theres a problem. At Tamico its almost 35 euro more than the MX 5, Mazda or NSU. Any ideas why or is it because its the new kid on the block.

Other than bearings and possibly a 13.5t brushless motor does the M-05 need much else?

Bearings, oil shocks and a steel pinion are good basic hop-ups, as well as a metal motor mount if 13.5t brushless is on the cards. A ballraced alloy steering rack is also a good idea as while the stock plastic one isn't terrible, it is a bit weak and floppy.

As for the price differences, I'm guessing it has to do with licensing fees for the different bodies, as mechanically they are the same. 

• Like 1

I used Non Tamiya (HPI) on toad car

abocks on my M06 with the MX5 body. I just fitted the stock springs to them.

Note: if you use the Tamiya CVA shortdamper  kit, will will have to use the springs from your kit as well 

I started with the M05 NSU when I got on to the M-chassis and to be honest I'm glad I did.  Adding each part bit by bit got me use to this classification. I know it can be expensive but you see what part improves how it handles. Bearings shocks steering and motor. Then what wheelbase. Hope this helps great chassis and good luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blista said:

The Swift might be a pre-painted one.

Reading the description the Swift is indeed pre painted in yellow.

I think I’d be inclined to go with the NSU though myself @Busdriver, as it’s been around a bit now, and as the old Tamiya philosophy goes, when it’s gone it’s gone.

Its got a bit more character over the Swift IMHO. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Which Tamiya shocks fit?

I use Super Mini CVAs on mine, but pretty much any 50mm shock set will fit. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blista said:

The Swift might be a pre-painted one.

I think you may be right. Shame theres no clear version.

Thanks to everybody. Roll on October when my next model allowance arrives in the bank!!!!

• Haha 1

Another plus for the NSU according to my math is the money you save over the Swift should leave around 200 quid for additional hop ups. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Which Tamiya shocks fit?

Like @TurnipJF said, 50mm Super Mini CVAs or equivalent are a great fit. However, if your Pavement is rougher than normal, or you just want to hit a dirt Road (about as much "Off-Roading" as you'd want to do with a M Chassis Car!).... 

I used Super Mini CVAs, but with the longer Ball Ends. In the separate Shock Kit, you get both long and short Ends.  The Long ends made them approximately 61mm eye to eye. I fitted O-Rings under the Pistons, making approx. 58mm, and a softer extension. I also learned that with these SHORT Shocks, 700-900wt CST Shock Oil gives ACTUAL Damping and a smoother ride. 😉 The M05 Suspension CAN actually drop that much!! Gives quite good Ground Clearance. 

ONE Caveat - you'll NEED CVDs in front!! Otherwise you'll LOSE Dogbones every time you run it!!! 😲😖 

I have had ZERO issues with the extra 8mm of Droop! 😊  It's not a setup that you'd want to do High Speed runs with (DON'T ask me how I learned THAT!!!!) 😖😠😠😭  In any other type of Driving, it performed beautifully.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1