Sign in to follow this  
Rich h

Wild willy colour

Hi everyone 

can anyone tell me the correct box art colour for a wild willy in Tamiya spray paint ? , they do a few shades of drab olive 

thanks rich 

there are quite a few different shades Tamiya do ts 28 looks fairly accurate for olive drab American vehicles like ww2 jeeps and many others I have spent a lot of time around olive drab vehicles due to my dad that has one and also sells them to, I do all the work on them. but I have looked at the colour sample on goggle and it looks about right but it isn't easy looking at colour samples as they can differ so don't completely rely on me. or you could try a real jeep dealer we did have some synthetic spray cans in various colours but might have ran out if you were struggling.

is it a wild willy m38 or wild willy 2  

That's ok not a problem I hope I helped you cool m38 s are great I do prefer them to wild willy 2's they just look the part good luck with it and I hope you enjoy it.:)

My original SWB WW has a pretty close color on it now. I always thought Olive Drab was Olive Drab, but realized it wasn't.  I am not sure what paint is on my WIld WIlly right now, because I restored it for the 2nd time 15 or so years ago. I restored it again just a couple years go, but did not repaint due to not being able to find this specific OD. My other Wild Willy which is an original WW M38 body, but mounted onto a GF01 4x4 chassis. I had to repaint this one and used this OD color which looks more like a flat "Sage" green to me, but it shows how wide the variety of shades of OD there seems to be today. You will notice even a 3rd shade of OD on the SWB WW helmet. This was another OD that I had while trying to find the one I wanted to use. I used it on the SWB Willy helmet anyway, just to give some contrasts. But all three of these are OD. 

07092020b.jpg

I use Tamiya Olive Drab TS5 or Tamiya Olive Drab 2 TS28 for my box art WWs. The TS5 is a bit darker, which i like personally, but I'd say the TS28 is the closest to the box art color (of the two).

tamiya-ts-paint-chips-be5c.jpg