Crafty99

Vintage Wild One - controller advice

Hi everyone, I have kept a Wild One for my kids that I had as a youngster. It’s a early 80’s build. I have a problem in that I don’t have a remote control and obviously the current controllers are well advanced from 30+ years ago. Can anyone provide advice on either where to obtain a vintage controller, or an option that may exist that is compatible? I think the old controller was a futaba attack from memory. Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

Assuming the receiver is 27mhz, (which it should say on the top) then any 27mhz transmitter should work, as long as you have matching crystals. Plenty on eBay etc.

The original Wild One was a 1985 release so period correct 27Mhz would be a Futaba FP-2NL, Sanwa GC2 or Acoms AP227 Techniplus - the early one with a blue box / black pic.

Boxed sets of all come up on eBay from time to time.  

It’s also easy to update with modern 2.4Ghz sets 👍

Which, if any, electronic components from the original Wild One do you have in the car?  Receiver, mechanical speed control, servos?  If so, what brand and models are those components?

Radio selection would depend on what you currently have installed the car to be re-used, or even if you wish to keep it period correct.

2 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Which, if any, electronic components from the original Wild One do you have in the car?  Receiver, mechanical speed control, servos?  If so, what brand and models are those components?

Radio selection would depend on what you currently have installed the car to be re-used, or even if you wish to keep it period correct.

Any 2 channel 27mhz transmitter will work with any 27mhz receiver, regardless of brand. They should all be capable of operating a manual speed controller servo, or an electronic speed controller, as well as a steering servo.

20 minutes ago, Why me? said:

Any 2 channel 27mhz transmitter will work with any 27mhz receiver, regardless of brand. They should all be capable of operating a manual speed controller servo, or an electronic speed controller, as well as a steering servo.

Not true. There are incompatibilities, even within brands, and particularly with ESC's.  Depending on the user's location, 75 and 78mhz are also available, not to mention several types of [retro] 3-pin connectors for servos of that era.

6 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Hi Supra, all the components are original as per 1986 when I got the car. The receiver is as the image attached, I’m not sure what the other components are, other than they are original. 

F2619F73-DE91-4BD6-91C4-819FC66B04D1.jpeg

I see!  Looks like you have Futaba G-connectors.  In that time period ESC's were new technology that were seen most commonly on a racetrack.

I'd venture to guess that since all of the plugs are connected, you have a 4-cell AA battery sled, FP-S28 servos, and original Tamiya 3-step mechanical speed control.  If that's the case, all you need to get it running is a 27mhz radio with the channel number that matches the silver chip in the receiver and a fresh 7.2v battery pack. It'll be fiddly to do, but it can be done.

If you dont mind spending a little money, you can opt for a new 2.4ghz radio that someone has been removed from a new RTR kit and a new Hobbywing 1060 ESC.  This will get you running reliably and without any glitching.  I expect that for around $80 the radio, ESC and battery can be purchased. 

9 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Not true. There are incompatibilities, even within brands, and particularly with ESC's.  Depending on the user's location, 75 and 78mhz are also available, not to mention several types of [retro] 3-pin connectors for servos of that era.

Not going to argue with you, but he said he wanted a new transmitter that would work with the car. The receiver is 27mhz, therefore any 27mhz transmitter will work, with the correct crystals.

I originally had a 75mhz Futaba Magnum Jr. with my Wild One in 1986. 

My vintage Wild One sitting here in 2020 has a 75mhz Futaba Magnum Jr. ;)