Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy pants

Cleaning off paint tips please.

I need to clean some over painting and bleeds on my Honda City Turbo shell.

I was a bit clumsy with the masking tape and too keen with the paint šŸ™€

Anyhow, the shell was painted and stickered before I started detailing so I need to careful with the tidy up.

Any tips on what products to use and the best way to go about it?

Thank you

SimonĀ 

Ā 

I probably shouldn't tell you this as at this rate I'll lose you as a customer! ;)Ā 

If you used acrylic paint you might get away with just tap water, so that's the safest thing to try first. Otherwise get some Tamiya thinners on it.Ā 

I'd suggest (grudgingly ;)Ā ) to mask the detail you've painted to give yourself a sharp line to remove upto (guessing you have painted something like a window frame) - get a cotton bud and dab it in the thinners, dab that onto a piece of kitchen roll so it isn't wet, then very gently and lightly rub it over the overpaint. Less is more here - so don't rush, don't be heavy handed and don't go at it with a soakedĀ cotton bud. You should start to see paint appearing on the cotton bud, so make sure you rotate and swap ends regularly to make sure you aren't smearing it.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

I probably shouldn't tell you this as at this rate I'll lose you as a customer! ;)Ā 

If you used acrylic paint you might get away with just tap water, so that's the safest thing to try first. Otherwise get some Tamiya thinners on it.Ā 

I'd suggest (grudgingly ;)Ā ) to mask the detail you've painted to give yourself a sharp line to remove upto (guessing you have painted something like a window frame) - get a cotton bud and dab it in the thinners, dab that onto a piece of kitchen roll so it isn't wet, then very gently and lightly rub it over the overpaint. Less is more here - so don't rush, don't be heavy handed and don't go at it with a soakedĀ cotton bud. You should start to see paint appearing on the cotton bud, so make sure you rotate and swap ends regularly to make sure you aren't smearing it.

Thank you JB!

I should have mentioned I am using the small pots of Tamiya paints that I bought recently.Ā 
Ā 

No chance of losing my custom on any level either šŸ˜Š, I have something a bit special in my wardrobe as next years project for you šŸ’„

• Like 1

WD-40 sprayed on a paper towel and rub gently for acrylic paint. Go easy and watch the lines not to take off more than you want. It is like a "SAFE CLEANER" so to speak (not like thinner). Then clean the oily residue of if painting more. This works better sooner than later for how long paint has dried. Doesn't harm lacquer much unless you go crazy.Ā 

Just another idea.

Ā 

Ā 

• Thanks 1

Tamiya Polycarbonate Body Cleaner works good too.Ā  It also wont haze the body.

Whatever cleaner/removerĀ  you use, make sure you try it on a scrap piece first to make sure it doesn't hurt the lexan

Also for future masking, I recommend vinyl masking tape.Ā  The Tamiya stuff is good but you can also get bigger, cheaper rolls on ebay from China. Works really well and conforms nicely to curves.Ā  I usually apply it, then hit it with a little heat from a hairdryer, then press it down firmly again. That way it seals well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2020 at 7:02 AM, 67CamaroSS said:

Tamiya Polycarbonate Body Cleaner works good too.Ā  It also wont haze the body.

Whatever cleaner/removerĀ  you use, make sure you try it on a scrap piece first to make sure it doesn't hurt the lexan

Also for future masking, I recommend vinyl masking tape.Ā  The Tamiya stuff is good but you can also get bigger, cheaper rolls on ebay from China. Works really well and conforms nicely to curves.Ā  I usually apply it, then hit it with a little heat from a hairdryer, then press it down firmly again. That way it seals well.

Can only confirm what 76CamaroSS recommended, Tamiya Body Cleaner works for ABS and Polycarbonate really well.

Tamiya has a thin white flexible plastic tape. I always use one layerĀ for sharp lines or corners plus the yellow tapeĀ to cover the rest of the areaĀ and it'sĀ absolute spot on with no bleeds at all.Ā 

https://www.plazajapan.com/4950344871780/?setCurrencyId=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwit_8BRCoARIsAIx3Rj5K63rT1zsmpyYqj_9ghHKAFH-CeILHZmqK8FC1G-_RH57UxC4t7jIaAmW4EALw_wcB

Works also perfect to mask off window frames on hard bodies - very sharp and no bleeds :-)