wintersdawn

Candidates for the least popular Tamiya rc models...

My nomination is the Tamiya Nissan Titan, so far only found available in kit form from Modelsport in the U.K. and has two active listings on Ebay UK, one for a pair of front wheels and a second for a set of metal bearings with rubber seals, which doesn't really count as they are compatible with many other Tamiya models.

Any other candidates, either now or in the past?

58511.jpg

• Like 1

I dunno why the titan would wouldn't be popular.  it's a dt02, original release came with bearings and an esc.  total basher.  id rather have that than a holiday buggy or something.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sweatpants said:

I dunno why the titan would wouldn't be popular.  it's a dt02, original release came with bearings and an esc.  total basher.  id rather have that than a holiday buggy or something.

I have a theory, that its because it is/was more expensive than some other models with a DT02 chassis such as the Sand Viper (which has a higher spec DT-02 chassis) and also it seems to be the only Tamiya model that had a short course truck body.  The alternatives to the Tamiya Nissan Titan with a short course truck body shape include the Traxxas Slash, which whilst more expensive, was bigger, faster and stronger.

Tamiya didn't established themselves in the short course truck shape and maybe just dipped their toe in with the Titan and left it at that, leaving the market to other makers of short course truck models.

• Like 2

For least popular, I'd nominate the Tamiya Neo Shot, displayed at a few trade shows but apparently so hated by those who saw it that it was never even released for sale to the general public. 

img254_1302004122827_1_0_350.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, wintersdawn said:

I have a theory, that its because it is/was more expensive than some other models with a DT02 chassis such as the Sand Viper (which has a higher spec DT-02 chassis) and also it seems to be the only Tamiya model that had a short course truck body.  The alternatives to the Tamiya Nissan Titan with a short course truck body shape include the Traxxas Slash, which whilst more expensive, was bigger, faster and stronger.

Tamiya didn't established themselves in the short course truck shape and maybe just dipped their toe in with the Titan and left it at that, leaving the market to other makers of short course truck models.

true.  i guess if you look at it from what else was available at the time, I get it.

I think the most frustrating cars for me to sell back in the day were the original fighter buggy, and the madbull.  People would buy the fighter buggy and then want hop ups for it like their friends baja champ which did everything better.  same went for the mad bull, didnt want to spend money on a monster truck, but wanted big wheels.. that broke off with slight abuse.

• Like 1

Vajra?

image.jpeg.aa82f15450c1927fe6a681741f7e5bda.jpeg

Parts bin special? Dubious name? Questionable handling?

I like mine though, even she is a little fragile

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Although I nominated the titan I like it and have an xb titan & also mounted a second titan body on the higher spec sand viper DT02 chassis.

1 hour ago, Gazzalene said:

Striker is pretty horrible.

It's not well-loved now, but if I recall correctly it sold pretty well, at least at first. It's not especially hard to find, so they must be out there.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

Vajra?

Saved itself really by providing cheap access to Egress and Avante spare parts

But yeah on all other measures its a shocker

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The T3-01 is a very popular chassis.

Cars that bombed would be the RCBoys series. They were going for pennies even a few years ago. I cannot think of any set of chassis that have been so universally unpopular. 

I love em, but I suppose I like the way that they are so opposite to my TRF’s

Any of the comical ones, just don't see the point or the three wheeler things, I don't get them.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Vajra?

image.jpeg.aa82f15450c1927fe6a681741f7e5bda.jpeg

Parts bin special? Dubious name? Questionable handling?

I like mine though, even she is a little fragile

Something lovely about the Vajra is... I believe it came RTR, with a Tamiya TBLM01 8T motor.

in my opinion very rare, since the combo wasnt on sale seperately like the higher 12, 15, 16T motors.

• Like 2

Super Sabre. I cast no aspertions on its performance; its actually a great buggy. However, the fact it was released about a month before the all new Thundershot means there will never be many. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wintersdawn said:

My nomination is the Tamiya Nissan Titan, so far only found available in kit form from Modelsport in the U.K. and has two active listings on Ebay UK, one for a pair of front wheels and a second for a set of metal bearings with rubber seals, which doesn't really count as they are compatible with many other Tamiya models.

Any other candidates, either now or in the past?

58511.jpg

I think the Titan is a hidden gem, I love it :-)

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-Nissan-Titan-Racing-Truck-2WD-DT-02-Bausatz-58511

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Something lovely about the Vajra is... I believe it came RTR, with a Tamiya TBLM01 8T motor.

in my opinion very rare, since the combo wasnt on sale seperately like the higher 12, 15, 16T motors.

I think you probably mean the Levant?

The vajra was only sold as a kit???

Least popular?  A month ago I'd tell you to look at what's still in stock at Tower Hobbies, RCMart, or Stellamodels.

It's like the one or two brands of toilet paper still in stock at the stores...  The brands people like were completely sold out.

• Like 4