wintersdawn

Candidates for the least popular Tamiya rc models...

11 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Super Sabre. I cast no aspertions on its performance; its actually a great buggy. However, the fact it was released about a month before the all new Thundershot means there will never be many. 

Seems you are a thunder dragon fan but i hate the look of it.

35 minutes ago, Super ally said:

Seems you are a thunder dragon fan but i hate the look of it.

Yeah, I am a huge fan of the thundershot chassis buggies but I really do not like the thunder dragon shell. I have two of them sat in the attic, never use them. I think it is because they are too angular? I have thundershot or terra scorcher shells on all mine now which I find much more attractive. Out of all the Tamiya body shells I've owned (not chassis) I would rate the thunder dragon as my least favourite.

I'd also agree with @ThunderDragonCy in that the Super Sabre must be pretty rare (not as popular to buy?) as I have rarely seen them on ebay in comparison with thundershot or other Tamiya buggies from the same year.

Holiday Buggy. The re-release Sand Rover was pretty awful, considering the starting point was an absolute classic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alwb68 said:

Holiday Buggy. The re-release Sand Rover was pretty awful, considering the starting point was an absolute classic.

Agreed.  I love the DT-02 chassis but to use it for the Sand Rover just seemed lazy by Tamiya instead of replicating the original or at least an alternative that didn't require making holes in the front for the dampers and the rear shock tower sticking up in the back. Such a shame, I love the Sand Rover but the re-release was a disappointing travesty. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

Falcon

#mic drop

:P

Oh god, yes! My first buggy, the worst one I've ever owned.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Least popular?  A month ago I'd tell you to look at what's still in stock at Tower Hobbies, RCMart, or Stellamodels.

It's like the one or two brands of toilet paper still in stock at the stores...  The brands people like were completely sold out.

Right...... That absolutely qualifies the M05 RA Deux Cheveaux Charleston!! 😜 STILL plenty on the shelves.

Granted, two People I know have done AMAZING things with theirs - BUT - when you were younger and cooler, would you have been caught DEAD in one??

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 9:44 AM, DayRider said:

Any of the comical ones, just don't see the point or the three wheeler things, I don't get them.

They're fun, that's the point. The T301 is unique and on the right surface an absolute blast!

Can I nominate the G601 Dynahead? I love the G601 chassis, but this truck never made any sense; a "comical" style 6WD chassis, but with portal axles, trying to be a trail truck but with low profile tires. I rarely see anyone waxing lyrical about these things, and if they were popular they would have done more with them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, taffer said:

I think you probably mean the Levant?

The vajra was only sold as a kit???

The Super Levant is with the 8t. Fastest RTR tamiya ever made and boy is it fast. Levant is with 16t. 

@Fabia130vRS

@taffer

EE99F777-4100-4E79-B545-4BA7BC81F2BA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rwordenjr said:

Woah 😨 

F93EB6F2-FE85-43A4-A498-97E169D8C463.jpeg

..... I really LIKED my Falcon!!!  If they didn't DISMEMBER themselves so easily, I would have LOVED it! 😖  It's been over 30 years since I had mine, so AmPro Braces didn't exist.... But because of that late development - if they Re-Re'd the Falcon, I'd GET IT!! 

AFTER the King Cab and King Blackfoot though!!! 😜 

@lsear2905 ABSOLUTELY the Dynahead!!! 👎😲😖 What WERE they thinking!!!?? We DON'T even get to buy the Dynahead PORTAL Hubs Separately - in case one of us NUT JOBS wanted to experiment with them on a different Chassis!! 😜😂

• Like 3

The dynahead is lovely! The body is a bit plain (but easy to finish) but it's capabilities are tremendous! 

It is stupid you can't get the portals separately for say £50+£60 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Can I nominate the G601 Dynahead? I love the G601 chassis, but this truck never made any sense; a "comical" style 6WD chassis, but with portal axles, trying to be a trail truck but with low profile tires. I rarely see anyone waxing lyrical about these things, and if they were popular they would have done more with them.

Haha - I almost bought a Dynahead.:)

It looks like something Brains would design as an emergency rescue pod vehicle for Thunderbird 2. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I never saw someone running a Blazing Star or a Terra Conqueor. 

I like the crocodile Look of that Car.

Has the Avante mk 2 on DF03 chassis been mentioned yet?

proper stain on Tamiya’s character, that

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/22/2020 at 7:53 AM, Xeostar said:

I think the Titan is a hidden gem, I love it :-)

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-Nissan-Titan-Racing-Truck-2WD-DT-02-Bausatz-58511

Great little truck. I put blitzer front uprights on so you can fit wider fronts, in fact mine has Blitzer/Schumacher rears and Blitzer rims with Titan rears on the front. 13.5t bluebottle motor and it flies.IMG_2028.JPG.528c99b05da436340f46f75c268f9215.JPG

Edit: I think these are Blitzer rear tires but I have a set of Vee4 rears

Edited by Busdriver
error in post
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Can I nominate the G601 Dynahead? I love the G601 chassis,

A much misunderstood vehichle. I only ran my Dynahead with stock wheels and tires once but it is a surprisingly capable machine. It has a semi tank like quality, nothing really gets in its way. With a little bit of diff putty in all the diffs even with stock tyres its pretty good. The body I agree isnt even Marmite, its just plain awful, especially if you look at some of the prototype bodies they were considering (pictures somewhere on this site). However with a little bit of imagination it can also look like this. (and there are others)

IMG_1466.JPG.a2f1cd2be3d714784eb818db9db1b5ac.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

A much misunderstood vehichle. I only ran my Dynahead with stock wheels and tires once but it is a surprisingly capable machine. It has a semi tank like quality, nothing really gets in its way. With a little bit of diff putty in all the diffs even with stock tyres its pretty good. The body I agree isnt even Marmite, its just plain awful, especially if you look at some of the prototype bodies they were considering (pictures somewhere on this site). However with a little bit of imagination it can also look like this. (and there are others)

IMG_1466.JPG.a2f1cd2be3d714784eb818db9db1b5ac.JPG

Agreed. The Dynahead and to a lesser extent it's G6-01 brethren suffer from undesirable shells, but the chassis beneath is very capable and has served as the basis for some great mods and scratch builds. I don't think it is unpopular, just unpopular to build stock. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Whilst the TT02 and TT02B seem to be very popular.

The TT02T gets next to no love at all.

The narrow stadium truck models usually seem to be the least popular of their chassis versions. XV-01T Asterion, TT-02T Sandshaker, TA-02T Desert Fielder, TL-01 Stadium Raider, none seemed to sell as well as their touring or rally siblings. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

The narrow stadium truck models usually seem to be the least popular of their chassis versions. XV-01T Asterion, TT-02T Sandshaker, TA-02T Desert Fielder, TL-01 Stadium Raider, none seemed to sell as well as their touring or rally siblings. 

I seem to love all the unloved ones. I have a dynahead alias Dynamog, an Asterion, a Titan and a Sandshaker (TT02-T). 😍 I’ve also got a Porsche Cayenne as well as a Mitsubishi Lancer body for the same chassis. Is there any hope for me😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'd say all Tamiya models for people in my age group (Born in the 2nd millennium). I'm pretty much the only person under 30-ish years old that runs tamiya that I know of. I'd say the Rookie Rabbit or some oddball on-road body for least popular (Honda S-MX, Suzuki Wagon R RR, Mazda 3, SN95 Mustang)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Howards said:

spacer.pngSaint Dragon was not exactly flying off the shelves (or getting on them in the first place).

That is a proper munter. Looks like a freshly pulled tooth.

• Haha 6