wintersdawn

Candidates for the least popular Tamiya rc models...

On 9/25/2020 at 9:21 AM, Carmine A said:

I may have come up with a serious contender here!! 

58153 Daytona Thunder IMG_20200925_011922.thumb.jpg.76a3aec2f2e67cca1f9ebff186a539dd.jpg

So...... When was the last time you saw one?

Erm! 

Today! 

Screenshot_20200927-192321.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I WISH I had gotten hold of one of those, in the short time it was sold!! 😭😭

I've been curious, what Chassis is under there??

3 hours ago, Carmine A said:

I WISH I had gotten hold of one of those, in the short time it was sold!! 😭😭

I've been curious, what Chassis is under there??

Group C

• Like 1

19 hours ago, svenb said:

Erm! 

Today! 

Screenshot_20200927-192321.png

svenb, Nice collection! If you don’t mind me asking, what wheels are on the Zakspeed (?) blue car on the lower right? Are they Tamiya wheels? Like #50548? Or something else? Thanks. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

This was hugely popular in the UK and always sold out quickly when we got them in stock. Imprezas always sold well but combine it with the ability to be used on grass and moderately off road and you have a winner. I wish I'd bought one at the time - not least because the "RA" had the TL01LA suspension setup, but they were very good value, too. Cheaper than the likes of the contemporary 4wd buggies (Rising Storm, Gravel Hound etc) but just as capable. I also believe the body was pre-cut and maybe even pre-finished?

If Sir wanted, we could also sell some fetching gold plated wheels from the HBX range of knock-off TL01B buggies!

Great car and I'd have one over the later DF03RA attempt to revive the recipe.

I've got one of these I inherited off a friend, and the first thing she did was replace the wheels to standard touring car ones. In standard spec I found it pretty awful to drive as on grass the spikes, high C of G and narrow track means it loves to roll over. 

I always suspected this kit originated as a way of clearing out some old stock they found in the factory somewhere. The body was pre-cut, painted, and stickered (possibly because otherwise the builder would need to eyeball the bigger arches as it's just a standard shell that's been custom cut.)It's the last model released on a TL-01 of any variant, which gives it a certain significance in history.

I've put some proper Impreza wheels and rally blocks on mine and am trying to make a decent rally car out of it with new shocks and some other tweaks.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rich T UK said:

I've got one of these I inherited off a friend, and the first thing she did was replace the wheels to standard touring car ones. In standard spec I found it pretty awful to drive as on grass the spikes, high C of G and narrow track means it loves to roll over. 

I always suspected this kit originated as a way of clearing out some old stock they found in the factory somewhere. The body was pre-cut, painted, and stickered (possibly because otherwise the builder would need to eyeball the bigger arches as it's just a standard shell that's been custom cut.)It's the last model released on a TL-01 of any variant, which gives it a certain significance in history.

I've put some proper Impreza wheels and rally blocks on mine and am trying to make a decent rally car out of it with new shocks and some other tweaks.

Yeah possibly; hard to believe but back when they were new folks weren't falling over themselves to get the TL01LA variants over the regular TL01s - the boxes didn't make it obvious what the differences were. The spares were hard to get hold of too, even back then! So I think it would be strange that they put the LA setup on just because they could use up parts. 

I also forgot the body was a Wales / GB Rally livery; which probably also helped make it popular...

3 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

svenb, Nice collection! If you don’t mind me asking, what wheels are on the Zakspeed (?) blue car on the lower right? Are they Tamiya wheels? Like #50548? Or something else? Thanks. 

thanks

yes fronts are 50548 and rears 50549

IMG-20200928-WA0002.jpg

Time consuming to paint the spokes but worth it I think. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, svenb said:

IMG-20200928-WA0002.jpg

Time consuming to paint the spokes but worth it I think. 

Sorry if this is getting out of topic. Thanks for responding! I have those wheels for my next kit build but I figured you had painted them. They look really good and what an impressive sight of cars! Did you still paint the chrome lip as well or just the spokes? I was thinking of painting them too but haven’t seen good results from other pictures. Any advice for the paint? Thanks.

Can I nominate the VW camper T2 wheelie? I personally love this and I wish I never sold my own (this one was the special edition) but I can see why it was unpopular because it was a nightmare to mask up and paint the decals did fit properly and the body didn't really fit as snug as it should have if you fitted it so the body didn't come in contact with the wheels it look totally stupid but lower to the chassis it looked ok but didn't work at all 

resizer (1).jpg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

Sorry if this is getting out of topic. Thanks for responding! I have those wheels for my next kit build but I figured you had painted them. They look really good and what an impressive sight of cars! Did you still paint the chrome lip as well or just the spokes? I was thinking of painting them too but haven’t seen good results from other pictures. Any advice for the paint? Thanks.

No problem 👍 not that unusual on here for a cheeky thread hijack 😅

I sprayed the spoked section with TS21 gold and used XF flat black inbetween the spokes and on the outer face of the wheel to stop the chrome from showing through. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, svenb said:

No problem 👍 not that unusual on here for a cheeky thread hijack 😅

I sprayed the spoked section with TS21 gold and used XF flat black inbetween the spokes and on the outer face of the wheel to stop the chrome from showing through. 

Perfect! I already had TS21 set but wasn’t sure what the outcome would look like. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moffman said:

Can I nominate the VW camper T2 wheelie? I personally love this and I wish I never sold my own (this one was the special edition) but I can see why it was unpopular because it was a nightmare to mask up and paint the decals did fit properly and the body didn't really fit as snug as it should have if you fitted it so the body didn't come in contact with the wheels it look totally stupid but lower to the chassis it looked ok but didn't work at all 

resizer (1).jpg

Always wanted one of these, especially after I saw a video of some people playing a soccer like game with VW Wheelies

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2020 at 3:37 PM, scoobybooster said:

49352 - Tamiya model database - TamiyaBase.com

I always had a bit of a soft spot for these, although I appreciate they're an odd-ball mix of parts.

The TL01 (even in standard trim) isn't a bad rally chassis.  It floats over rough terrain better than the later flat-bottomed tub chassis cars and is very robust.  The big wheels look terrible (and make it look like a toy) but they do give it extra clearance, so you don't have to go looking for a proper rally surface (much as I love my rally cars, the terrain they will run well on is very limited).

My LHS had one in stock for an age at a bargain price, ISTR I posted on here about buying it and was warned off because of the poor looks and basic setup, but in retrospect it would have been a great parts donor.  The TL01-LA is actually a fairly capable car when set up right, it was the winning car in the Iconic Cup touring class for a few years before it got moved into Super Touring and had to compete against TA04s etc.

I'll be racing mine against TT01s in this year's TORC winter series, but I don't have any spares - breaking a suspension arm would be heartbreaking.

(Hint: Tamiya: please bring back the TL01-LA conversion kit!!)

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 5:32 PM, speedy_w_beans said:

Least popular?  A month ago I'd tell you to look at what's still in stock at Tower Hobbies, RCMart, or Stellamodels.

It's like the one or two brands of toilet paper still in stock at the stores...  The brands people like were completely sold out.

It's a choice between the 400 Grit or the 800 grit.............

• Haha 1

I nominate the Juggernaut I , for it's excellent gear shredding capabilities. Seconded by the TXT-2.  TXT-1 was great, and then it all went downhill with the TXT-2, narrow, low profile tires (What were you thinking Tamiya, the Clod tires are great, why mess with them ?????) and  a new shell that can best be described as marmite #facepalm :)

9 hours ago, Pinoy808 said:

Always wanted one of these, especially after I saw a video of some people playing a soccer like game with VW Wheelies

Yeah like I say I personally liked it but I could understand why they never really cought on it was definitely aimed at the novice/ younger but the body really was one of the most difficult I've done (so time consuming) just to get a half good job! And no matter what I did to the decals they just didn't play ball (so to speak) with me?