Sign in to follow this  
Howards

Alternative to Tamiya Smoke on Astute shell

I’m doing this Astute shell and the MCI repro decals for the windows don’t provide a smoke effect - they are matte black which looks wrong.

Im considering PS31 smoke instead but nervous of it going wrong at this stage. I’ve not used it before. I have used the Proline tint but I’ve never been happy with the finish. 

Is there an alternative such as a translucent sticky back sheet I can cut in to the appropriate shape instead? 

75B3D065-6397-468E-AA4D-BAE53D039A15.jpeg

Thinking out loud here so no one shoot me... I’m thinking the liquid mask dries clear, so in theory you could spay with that on the inside body and then try out the Tamiya clear grey x-?? Smoke paint, add as many layers as you like and if it doesn’t work out, peel it off and try something different?

You can get tinted film for house windows to reduce solar glare and protect carpets & furnishings from the effects of UV such as fading and deterioration.

It is a sort of thick cling film - you can find it in DIY stores or on ebay - just cut to fit.

I tend to leave my buggy windows fully clear.  I used some tint on my Top Force Evo, but owing to the shell being so low over the body, there's so little light in there that they look almost black anyway.  IMO that's just as bad as using opaque decals on a window, i.e. just plain wrong.

Anyhoo, if you really don't want clear windows, try the Tamiya tint, but use very light coats and keep checking after every coat.  If in doubt, stop spraying.  IMO you still want to be able to see through the windows.  If you can't see in, the driver can't see out, and if the driver can't see out then he's blatantly going to crash on the first lap of the race, which is no good for anybody (especially when you try to explain this to people and they look at you funny).

I think along the lines of "if you wanted to add a driver figure later, would you be able to see it?"

1 hour ago, Lee76 said:

Thinking out loud here so no one shoot me... I’m thinking the liquid mask dries clear, so in theory you could spay with that on the inside body and then try out the Tamiya clear grey x-?? Smoke paint, add as many layers as you like and if it doesn’t work out, peel it off and try something different?

It dries matte and slightly pink.

24 minutes ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

It is a sort of thick cling film - you can find it in DIY stores or on ebay - just cut to fit

Have you tried it? Sounds like what I’m after. 

1 hour ago, Howards said:

Have you tried it? Sounds like what I’m after. 

I've used it on actual windows but don't see why it wouldn't work on a polycarbonate body - just stick it on the inside.

The film cuts easily with scissors or a sharp craft knife.