DayRider

Brushless motors and the tble 02s

Could anyone tell me what is the lowest amount of turns on a motor that the tble02s can handle with out it having any problems. I have paired mine with a 21.5t and although it is fast off the mark, it's top speed isn't that fast.

Edited by DayRider
Because I'm a muppet

You mean the TBLE02s? 

10.5 with the optional fan kit in a buggy that has airflow. 13.5 without fan in a buggy that has airflow. 

• Thanks 1

Dope sorry I'm not that great with letters and reading. Right I was thinking when I looked into it, it was 21.5 and then just looking at manual a minute a go it says 10.5, I was getting so confused thinking I have using the TBLE-02 ( ha ha) and them been a quicker than this. I never use on with a brushless motor before, last time I just replaced the ESC and motor at the same time. Cheers for your reply 👍

3 hours ago, DayRider said:

Could anyone tell me what is the lowest amount of turns on a motor that the tble02s can handle with out it having any problems. I have paired mine with a 21.5t and although it is fast off the mark, it's top speed isn't that fast.

What model is it going in?  21.5T can push a big gear and give you a high top speed, without losing acceleration. If you can fit them, its probably cheaper to buy a new spur and pinion than a new motor.

In saying that I've run a 13.5T fine in a TT02B on NiMH and a 19T pinion (kit pinion is 17T). When I put the same motor in a Ae B6D on 2S lipo and what i thought was conservative gearing the TBLE-02S kept thermalling after about 5mins. I guess lowering the gearing or timing on the motor would help, but I gave up and changed the ESC as it was only temporary for that car anyway.

3 hours ago, Howards said:
51 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What model is it going in?  21.5T can push a big gear and give you a high top speed, without losing acceleration. If you can fit them, its probably cheaper to buy a new spur and pinion than a new motor.

In saying that I've run a 13.5T fine in a TT02B on NiMH and a 19T pinion (kit pinion is 17T). When I put the same motor in a Ae B6D on 2S lipo and what i thought was conservative gearing the TBLE-02S kept thermalling after about 5mins. I guess lowering the gearing or timing on the motor would help, but I gave up and changed the ESC as it was only temporary for that car anyway.

M06 and I think it can only take 20t pinion and lower to ether 17 or 18t. I might just put a different ESC and motor in. But I have been looking at the fans you can fit on but thinking about it, by time I fit a different motor and a fan, I might just change the ESC as well?

1 hour ago, DayRider said:

M06 and I think it can only take 20t pinion and lower to ether 17 or 18t. I might just put a different ESC and motor in. But I have been looking at the fans you can fit on but thinking about it, by time I fit a different motor and a fan, I might just change the ESC as well?

I’ve been thinking about fitting a brushless motor to the TBLE02 in my m06 as well. 
I keep reading “13.5t in a buggy or 10.5 with a fan” but I would think an on rod M06 would be less strain on a motor than a larger buggy on rough surfaces,pushing bigger tires.

• Like 1

With the light weight, minimal drivetrain friction and decent airflow of the M-06, the TBLE-02 can handle 13.5t all day with no need for a fan even if running the largest pinion option. I can (and often do) run a full pack of non-stop driving through mine without any thermal issues. Same with my M-05, which runs the same combo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

I’ve been thinking about fitting a brushless motor to the TBLE02 in my m06 as well. 
I keep reading “13.5t in a buggy or 10.5 with a fan” but I would think an on rod M06 would be less strain on a motor than a larger buggy on rough surfaces,pushing bigger tires.

When I was getting all the parts for the build I was thinking just use the ESC that comes with it and get a brushless motor and sensor lead and into what motor to pair with it and it said to use a 21.5t. although it really quick off the mark there is no top end. I'm going to try a 10.5t. just when you think okay that should be fine arhh!

51 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

With the light weight, minimal drivetrain friction and decent airflow of the M-06, the TBLE-02 can handle 13.5t all day with no need for a fan even if running the largest pinion option. I can (and often do) run a full pack of non-stop driving through mine without any thermal issues. Same with my M-05, which runs the same combo.

Think I'll try 10.5t with a fan. Maybe try a stabilizing kit on the back? It's over steers a bit. Saying that might use it for the postal race because it's really fast in the lower end

Edited by DayRider
Forgot to add

4 hours ago, DayRider said:

When I was getting all the parts for the build I was thinking just use the ESC that comes with it and get a brushless motor and sensor lead and into what motor to pair with it and it said to use a 21.5t. although it really quick off the mark there is no top end. I'm going to try a 10.5t. just when you think okay that should be fine arhh!

What motor are you running?  If it has adjustable endbell timing, have you adjusted it?  Timing can make a massive difference, especially if a modern motor comes with say 20deg timing, you can usually push that to 45deg or even more for some motors and gain a lot of top end, and probably not sacrifice much acceleration either.

• Thanks 1

Think I'll try 10.5t with a fan. Maybe try a stabilizing kit on the back? It's over steers a bit. Saying that might use it for the postal race because it's really fast in the lower end

If it is oversteering, wouldn't you want the stabilizer on the front?

9 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What motor are you running?  If it has adjustable endbell timing, have you adjusted it?  Timing can make a massive difference, especially if a modern motor comes with say 20deg timing, you can usually push that to 45deg or even more for some motors and gain a lot of top end, and probably not sacrifice much acceleration either.

Passion speed and yeah it does have adjustable timing. I'll give that ago.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

If it is oversteering, wouldn't you want the stabilizer on the front?

I think theM06 is totally different beast to anything I have had before. That motor hanging out of the back has put me all wrong.

I think theM06 is totally different beast to anything I have had before. That motor hanging out of the back has put me all wrong.

Just had a bit of info from a mate saying if I just change the angle of the shock on the rear and change the oil if them I will not need to use a stablizer

Personally I have never found a need for a stabiliser on my M-06. 3-hole pistons, soft oil and red (soft) springs are all mine needed to tame the rear end.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Personally I have never found a need for a stabiliser on my M-06. 3-hole pistons, soft oil and red (soft) springs are all mine needed to tame the rear end.

Is that the same on the front too? And ESC/motor, what is in yours?

Some one was suggesting changing the timing on my motor, but I have never done that.

Is that the same on the front too? And ESC/motor, what is in yours?

Some one was suggesting changing the timing on my motor, but I have never done that.

Mine has a 13.5t Speed Passion MMM motor with stock timing, a 20t steel pinion, TBLE-02 ESC, Alturn AAS700STD servo, Spektrum DSMR receiver, Mini CVA shocks built to 55mm, 3-hole pistons and red springs at the back, 2-hole pistons and yellow springs at the front, soft oil all round, M-size rally block tyres with blue inserts, a Yeah Racing ballraced alloy steering rack, alloy motor mount and heatsink, built to 210mm wheelbase and clad with a Renault Alpine shell for display and a Kamtec "hotrod beetle" shell for running.

Changing the timing mechanically is a possibility, but I find that the stock timing gives abundant power for this chassis so I haven't tried it personally.

5 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Mine has a 13.5t Speed Passion MMM motor with stock timing, a 20t steel pinion, TBLE-02 ESC, Alturn AAS700STD servo, Spektrum DSMR receiver, Mini CVA shocks built to 55mm, 3-hole pistons at the back, 2-hole pistons at the front, soft oil all round, M-size rally block tyres with blue inserts, a Yeah Racing ballraced alloy steering rack, alloy motor mount and heatsink, built to 210mm wheelbase and clad with a Renault Alpine shell for display and a Kamtec "hotrod beetle" shell for running.

Changing the timing mechanically is a possibility, but I find that the stock timing gives abundant power for this chassis so I haven't tried it personally.

I have used the stock shocks from my m08 kit but I think they are rubbish, but a bit better that what comes with it. Time to spend money again. Thanks for the info it will help. It's totally different to other m chassis the m06 eh?

I have used the stock shocks from my m08 kit but I think they are rubbish, but a bit better that what comes with it. Time to spend money again. Thanks for the info it will help. It's totally different to other m chassis the m06 eh?

It is an unusual one, yes. In terms of weight distribution it is not hugely different to the MF-01X, but of course handles very differently being RWD rather than 4WD. A great chassis to give scale appropriate handling to a Beetle or Karmann Ghia though!

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

It is an unusual one, yes. In terms of weight distribution it is not hugely different to the MF-01X, but of course handles very differently being RWD rather than 4WD. A great chassis to give scale appropriate handling to a Beetle or Karmann Ghia though!

Do you have the MF-01X? I was looking at that and use it as an off roader, totally rally spec, spot lights, the hole nine yards.

2 hours ago, DayRider said:

Do you have the MF-01X? I was looking at that and use it as an off roader, totally rally spec, spot lights, the hole nine yards.

I do indeed. Mine is the Suzuki Jimny version, set up for light trail running. I can thoroughly recommend it - a lot of fun in a compact package!

17 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I do indeed. Mine is the Suzuki Jimny version, set up for light trail running. I can thoroughly recommend it - a lot of fun in a compact package!

Do you have to change the centre shaft when changing the wheel base? And do they come with just the size of that kit?

28 minutes ago, DayRider said:

Do you have to change the centre shaft when changing the wheel base? And do they come with just the size of that kit?

Yes on both counts. 

Tap the brakes!! 10.5 in M06.. you’ll hit 88 miles per hour and go back to the future 🤣

I raced an M06 from 2010 to 2019! It’s one of my all time favourites. 

The key to M06 and any RWD RC car for that matter is weight transfer. When you let off throttle, you need the transfer of weight to stay on rear wheels.. otherwise you’re driving a 1976 930 Turbo 😉

Since The car doesn’t have droop screws, you need to build the front shocks with spacers to take out the droop. You test droop my pushing down the front and letting it comeback up to ride height. Then gently lift front to see how much the wheels and arms go down. You want this to be minimal, like 1mm.  As for the rear, I always left it with plenty of droop.. the more the better in my opinion. 

I ran mine pretty stiff (60wt oil and blue springs) in the rear because it’s heavy  at back, but many ran it soft. I think it works both ways.

For tires, I recommend the S Grips all around, specially since you’re probably going to run it outside. Use the soft inserts. 

Motor, well we raced with 21.5. 17.5 is also very drivable. 13.5 will make it a handful. 10.5 imo is too much. 

With 10.5 your going to need to start or very gently otherwise you will spin out. Once you get going you can add throttle and head towards full, so long as you don’t hit any surface that is going to make it lose traction.

Now comes the tricky part, stopping! only type of brake that works on RWD cars like M06 are drag brakes.. the TBLE-02S doesn’t have a this setting. So your left with brakes. The minute you hit brakes you will swap ends, guaranteed, and car may hit something. 

My rec would be 13.5 maximum.

Enjoy 👍

49 minutes ago, Raman36 said:

Now comes the tricky part, stopping! only type of brake that works on RWD cars like M06 are drag brakes.. the TBLE-02S doesn’t have a this setting. So your left with brakes. The minute you hit brakes you will swap ends, guaranteed, and car may hit something. 

Good tip on the need for drag brakes, although you'll be pleased to know that the TBLE-02 does feature drag brakes in brushless mode (called "neutral brakes" in the manual), adjustable in ten increments from 0% to 45%.