Sign in to follow this  
bikerclubby

Torque tuned in a crawler?

Just built up my first crawler with a 55t crawler motor. Does the job but a lot slower than the buggy I’m used to. Have a spare Torque tuned can and wondered how it fares in a crawler? I know that crawlers aren’t supposed to be fast but just wondering. 

Sure, give it a try, especially if you can gear it down. A little wheel speed isn't necessarily a bad thing for a crawler, and sometimes it helps. But if it's something with limited gearing choices (CC01 for example), I'd stick with the 55 turn.

Also, crawlers get boring really quickly on the wrong terrain. You have to give them something to crawl over, or else it's just a slow monster truck. But if you find a pile of rocks or bricks or something, you start to understand it: picking the right line, placing the wheels just-so to keep it upright but still have enough traction to go up, gently easing into the throttle here, punching it to "pop" the wheels over an obstacle there... it's very rewarding, and a totally different skill set from driving buggies fast around a track.

I've used the FL, TR and CR in crawlers.  They all work excellent with the FL offering the best balance between wheel speed and creep.

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

Sure, give it a try, especially if you can gear it down. A little wheel speed isn't necessarily a bad thing for a crawler, and sometimes it helps. But if it's something with limited gearing choices (CC01 for example), I'd stick with the 55 turn.

Also, crawlers get boring really quickly on the wrong terrain. You have to give them something to crawl over, or else it's just a slow monster truck. But if you find a pile of rocks or bricks or something, you start to understand it: picking the right line, placing the wheels just-so to keep it upright but still have enough traction to go up, gently easing into the throttle here, punching it to "pop" the wheels over an obstacle there... it's very rewarding, and a totally different skill set from driving buggies fast around a track.

It’s a GMade GS02 BOM, pretty decent choice of gearing. Think I’ll stick with the 55t just now, can always for the other on in at a later date. There’s also an optional Hilo box but it’s out of stock just now. Get what you mean about terrain, I live on the coast and am always out walking with my little boy. No need to make up courses when I’ve natural rocks and stones to play on. Some steep sided woods on one of our other frequent walks as well. 

Found part of the reason for my lack of speed. Slipper wasn’t nearly right enough and motor was just spinning at higher rpms. Difficult to properly tighten in initial build phase as the gearbox output shafts so small to hold. Much easier to tighten once installed in complete chassis with wheels to hold. Luckily the pinion is accessible with just 4 screws to come out. Lesson learned and much better performing crawler.