Sign in to follow this  
CoolHands

Can you insure models from theft?

I don’t have loads but I do have a few nice models and total cost would be quite a bit. Nothing super rare or vintage, but some are like tamiya mountain rider etc. I have them all in my outside workshop, bottom of garden,  and although it is secure - as we all know you could break in to anything really.

is it possible / (& if so) worth it to have them insured? Anyone looked into it?

Most home contents insurance policies will allow named items of higher value than whatever the single item limit is already, just make sure you have good photographic evidence of ownership and use. Pretty sure the policy price increase is only a few pound a year, I did this ages ago to name a mountain bike on the policy, also some camera equipment.

BTW check your existing policy for outbuildings, they often have a lower value for single item and might specify a maximum distance from the house.. we got stung on this distance thing when someone cleared out my shed of garden tools...

Yes, but depending on your insurer, you might need to name them specifically and/or give additional details as to their value, type, etc. Our current home contents insurer classifies them as sporting goods, and just wanted to know the value. Our previous one classified them as collectables and needed loads more info. I also had to point out that they get used elsewhere, otherwise they would only have been insured while on the property. Best to check on a case-by-case basis.

Yes, you just need to name them and potentially pay a small extra amount on the insurance.

We had to do it with our Warhammer collection and we took pictures of every valuable figure (some of the figures we've spent months painting and detailing and the time alone is worth alot.

We even made custom mods to the figures so in the event of theft we can get them back. Alot of thieves simply re-spray the items and flog them on ebay. Even if you report them to the police nothing gets done and you don't get your figures back because the police say that you have to prove they are yours. So we have made a little change to every valuable figure, such as fitting a custom hand instead of the stock one etc. Not obvious to the thief until we produce the evidence to the police. The same applies to R/C cars. We have also started engraving our names into the figures using a dremel. Sad that you have to go to these lengths but a guy we know who runs the games workshop shop near us had a load of his figures stolen. He spotted them on ebay and reported it but never got them back, he couldn't prove they were his. Thief got away with it.

15 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Yes, but depending on your insurer, you might need to name them specifically and/or give additional details as to their value, type, etc. Our current home contents insurer classifies them as sporting goods, and just wanted to know the value. Our previous one classified them as collectables and needed loads more info. I also had to point out that they get used elsewhere, otherwise they would only have been insured while on the property. Best to check on a case-by-case basis.

I Second the above info.

and it will vary by insurer.

back in the 80s my dad and I had an optima  mid. We experienced a runaway when our old 75mhz radio either got interference or lost power. The mid jumped an earthen berm that separated our back yard from busy 4 lane.

My dad spoke to our agent and our family Renter’s policy covered it ( we purchased a Yokomo yZ10 which I still have )  

• Like 1