dougan1963

Thinking of getting a 1/16 Tamiya tank!

As I am going to sell all my vintage Tamiya buggies and various spares etc.  I am toying with the idea of putting the money towards a Tamiya RC 1/16 tank. I have always liked WW2 armour and built a few smaller scale models. Thought a tank would be a nice winter project.

Any advice in buying one? It would definitely be a WW2 tank, I see Wonderland Models have a selection of full option ones for £599, so it would be one of those. Features wise, are they all the same in what they can do?  Also, is there any pitfalls in building one?

Thanks

Sherman and Tiger fairly straightforward builds.

The modern stuff is a bit more complicating to build.

Some have lights and others don’t. That’s pretty much the only difference - all of them have sounds and Main gun/mg flash etc.

I can recommenced Axels Modellbau in Germany as they are cheaper than U.K. prices and shipping is cheap and quick.

• Like 1

Good choice - they are very enjoyable builds.

Feature can vary between models so check the TamiyaUSA website.

The Tiger & King Tiger look like an absolute steal at £599 a piece.

I have a few in my pile of kits to be built - retirement projects at some point.

I've built the KV-1 & KV-2 they are great fun to run in the back garden.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ad Lav said:

Sherman and Tiger fairly straightforward builds.

The modern stuff is a bit more complicating to build.

Some have lights and others don’t. That’s pretty much the only difference - all of them have sounds and Main gun/mg flash etc.

I can recommenced Axels Modellbau in Germany as they are cheaper than U.K. prices and shipping is cheap and quick.

Many thanks for the German link.

Could be between the Tiger and Pershing

I’ve built all of them apart from the Type 10, Abrams and Sheridan. Enjoyable to build and run.

Felix the owner at Axels is a good chap to deal with.

I have a built Tamiya Tiger for sale actually but if you want to build one Best Buy new.

• Like 1

I have a Sheridan full option under the bed, once the clocks go back its coming out!!!

• Like 1

Is the Tiger 1 still from the same moulds when it came out all those years ago?

I know the Pershing is a much later release, so quality wise is it better than the the Tiger?

Speaking from my own experience when I used to run my tanks

img33435_24082011000903_9_1100_.jpg

img33435_01072011015110_1_1100_.jpg

, if you want to run the tank outside 'off road' then a tank with wide tracks such as a Tiger or Panther will be a lot more reliable and capable than those with narrower tracks such as the Sherman. The big German tanks also have more space inside them which makes for an easier build. Also, for example above, I removed the tank commander from this King Tiger and mounted a GoPro on it that I could rotate with a servo, turning the tank into an excellent camera platform for filming other tanks, which could prove to be a lot of fun if you're planning on joining a tank club.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dougan1963 said:

Thought it was released in the early 80's

Tamiya's first 1/16 King Tiger was released in 1981 and later versions of the King Tiger are based on the same parts.

Tamiya's first 1/16 Tiger I was released in 2000, as stated above.

As you possibly know, the King Tiger and Tiger I don't have much in common, neither in 1/1, nor in 1/16.

• Like 1