Sign in to follow this  
Yoda67

Longheroni CC01 conversion

I really like these.  I've been modifying CC01 chassis for years but this takes it a full stage further.  It's not on my radar right now but some day I'd like to have one underneath a Pajero body.

Matteo posted a great review and vid:

The problem with this is it still uses the same short arms suspension for the front. So limited suspension travel is still an issue. That is the down side of the CC-01 when used for crawling on rocky terrain.

Aside from the front suspension, I like what he did. 

2 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I really like these.  I've been modifying CC01 chassis for years but this takes it a full stage further.  It's not on my radar right now but some day I'd like to have one underneath a Pajero body.

Matteo posted a great review and vid:

I’ve seen this video and this is what got me interested, but it be great to here from any fellow tc,ers if they’ve got one.

Good points are better steering and easy to fit longer shocks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

The problem with this is it still uses the same short arms suspension for the front. So limited suspension travel is still an issue. That is the down side of the CC-01 when used for crawling on rocky terrain.

Aside from the front suspension, I like what he did. 

some larger diameter tyres and longer shocks should help

40 minutes ago, Yoda67 said:

some larger diameter tyres and longer shocks should help

I have larger tires on my CC-01 and 100mm shocks. It added travel but more inward and very little outward rebound. I have also grinded the c-hubs and arms to allow more droop but still is limited.

• Like 3

The only possible Front End solution I can see - and I've been trying to make a GOOD CC01 for almost 10 years (!!!!😠!!!), are some kind of long Arm conversion, like the TRF Arms on the TT-02S. 

Otherwise, like I told Matteo, this looks like a nice upgrade. CERTAINLY fixed the STEERING!!

I should be doing a build thread on this kit in a few weeks, I’ve been down the road of trying to improve the front suspension, but nothing really works as well as the stock parts grinded a bit. I tried the TL01LA parts like was on the tamiyausa website, but actually this design leads to less travel and less steering, because the c hub has to droop down inside the arm, there is little droop capability, from a crawling perspective it doesn’t work. The TRF suspension on the TT02S suffers the same issue.

the front end really needs to be restarted from scratch with an ball pivot style front end to really make some gains.

• Like 3

I'm not sure what this type of off road suspension is called but it's used in a lot of competition buggies (pic from Rc Car Action)   The C-hub is integrated into the steering knuckle giving the suspension arm more clearance.   This example is from an XV-01 rally car.    I'm thinking that something similar could be fitted to my CC01 although I don't have any experience with this type of suspension (maybe a future project)

IMG_0022 (2)

On 10/22/2020 at 7:55 PM, manny said:

I'm not sure what this type of off road suspension is called but it's used in a lot of competition buggies (pic from Rc Car Action)   The C-hub is integrated into the steering knuckle giving the suspension arm more clearance.   This example is from an XV-01 rally car.    I'm thinking that something similar could be fitted to my CC01 although I don't have any experience with this type of suspension (maybe a future project)

IMG_0022 (2)

So you got me thinking cause I had not tried to convert the xv01 front end to a cc01. I went in my rc room, my heavily grinded CC01 front end gives me around 31mm of travel with a CC01 alloy damper. TheN I went to my xv01 long damper, It has gf01 alloy dampers fitted (identical to cc01 but blue) and I’ve cut the chassis to bits (no droop stops etc) and grinded suspension mounts and I’ve managed to squeeze 31mm of travel from the front of my xv01. 

it’s worth mentioning they both have identical travel shocks on them, I may be able to get a tiny bit more out of the CC01 front end with a longer shock but I doubt more than another 4-5mm. 

the xv01 front end I’m not certain, the driveshaft is nearly touching the hub already in downstroke and I think I’ve grinded that already.  I will need to investigate if there is much scope for more travel before even considering the intricacies of strapping it all onto the cc01. 

I probably have all of the parts I’d need in spares so something to consider. 

• Like 1