Nwc100

Painting query!

Hopefully tomorrow a new addition will be order a Gazoo Yaris, a few shiny blue bits and a selection of tyres.

I've decided to paint non box art and go with a pearlescent Volkswagen Pacifica blue, cheap in Halfords!

I've tried it out on some coke bottles and it looks pretty good, however I'm not sure what I should back it with to get the best from it, I've given it 3 lightish coats on the test bottles and you can still see light through it, when held up to a light but it's fully covered.

So any ideas on best colours etc to back it with are much appreciated.

Apologies for the badly lit picture but to get an idea of the colour.

Thanks

Nick16009814048783277283130438710465.thumb.jpg.d007e4715f3485bb62ae1808764a12bc.jpg

If your backing with a single colour I’d go for a silver, or aluminium, like the stock avante it really makes the metallic blue shine.  I’ve not done one yet but I’ve seen good results using a silver or white to get the brightness then a black or gunmetal to make it opaque. I have a fat fox and plan on doing the white and gunmetal backing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Are you using Halfords car paint to paint the inside of a lexan body?

Yes, it's the plastic paint version, hence the testing on the bottles, I'm presuming (something I don't generally do) that it will be ok on a tamiya body?

I've sprayed a few bottles on the inside last weekend, and then used them as stress toys this week, bending and generally abusing them to see if the paint is ok and as yet none of it has come off so I'm hoping it's ok.

I quite like raiding the clearance paints in Halfords, always some good colours available in there!

I did think I'd test it on some offcuts as well to be 100% sure it sticks nicely!

Ooh, I didn't know they did plastic paint other than Primer. I'll have to take a look. Be interesting to see your results.

It's old and they appear to be mixed to order ones, I've had them a couple of years now sitting in the shed! They have different lids to some of the others I have.

I thought I'd give it a try and see how it lasts for a couple of weeks in the last of the sun.

Do some experiments with different amounts of layers and backing. More blue layers you put on less translucent it becomes, less influenced by the backing colours. 

Bright silver does nice things to translucent colours followed by white. But there are some that can take straight black. Experiment!

I don't think this will be ok. The plastic paint in Halfords is for 1:1 cars relatively hard plastics like bumpers and mirror covers not plastics that flex a lot like lexan.

Halfords plastic paint is ok for shells like the lunchbox, monster beetle but not for painting when it's from the inside lexan types.

I think of first 3 layers paint as a tint on sunglasses.  

Put a white paper behind one lens, put black cloth on the other.  You could see how 2 lenses would look quite different.  

So if you want that blue to be brighter, paint white.  If you want it deeper blue, paint darker blue or black.  I used to think silver was as bright as white. But now I think of silver as gray, something that will make things a shade dark.  

Also, I share the concern of @Xeostar.  Plastic paint might chip off.  There is a way to test it.  Leave it out in the sun for 3-7 days if the weather is dry. And leave it in front of a fan, blowing air on it for 24 hours.  And beat it. Literally beat it to see if it chips.  It's not a perfect test because the paint is only 99.5% cured after 4-8 days.  That 0.5% could make it soft enough to endure some beating, but if it chips even a little, you know it will chip a lot more after 6 months.  

I have plastic paint on something, it stuck well and was flexible enough. But it wore out on sweaty palms... lol...  (It was a BB air rifle stock)  

Thanks for the great input! It's much appreciated, so we've that's me and the 5yr old decided to go with some PS colour, specifically 37, 48 and 5!

We saw a couple of cars using those colours except for the 48 which I've thrown in randomly but it looked amazing, I can't wait to get started on it when it arrives and do that great reveal to see how badly we've done!

Nick

• Like 2