Mattplayer83

First timer looking for a cheap 4wd Tamiya buggy

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and most people suggested the TT02b...  YMMV...

Terry

If you're a complete novice, you may want to consider starting with a 2wd buggy, since it'll be a lot less labor-intensive to build.

For 2wd, I'd suggest you get a DT02 or DT03

For 4wd, a TT02B is cheap and cheerful, but also upgradable later on if you choose to turn it into something a little more serious in terms of bashing. My primary basher is an upgraded Plasma Edge II (TT02B).

If you plan to race (offroad buggies), then it may be a good idea to look into other brands, as Tamiya has chosen to stick to the more vintage end of things and has not competed in any serious capacity in quite a while (this is coming from a Tamiya die-hard!).

That being said, they're VERY fun to build and run, so I'm all for it.

Great thanks for the suggestions, I had looked at the plasma edge 2, what’s it like? To be honest a couple of my friends have a manta ray and the other an Avante and they have upgraded them so go nearly 50mph so it caught my attention

I was going to suggest manta or top force (DF01 chassis). You can prolly find a good deal on used ones but if you're wanting brand new, DF01 and TT02B price differences aren't too big a gap now.

1 hour ago, Mattplayer83 said:

Great thanks for the suggestions, I had looked at the plasma edge 2, what’s it like? To be honest a couple of my friends have a manta ray and the other an Avante and they have upgraded them so go nearly 50mph so it caught my attention

You're most welcome.

To be clear, no Tamiya buggies are capable of withstanding 50mph out of the box. There will always be things that need to be upgraded here and there, but that's part of the fun of this hobby: doing your own tinkering to make something better than it was originally designed to be.

If you're getting a buggy to do that to, I'd also prefer a Manta Ray since these come a little better equipped for the rigors of high-speed bashing. Having had a Manta Ray in the past and personally taken it to around 40ish mph without too much work, I can attest to its durability. 

While the Top Force shares the same chassis as the Manta Ray, it has ball differentials, which can be a little... fiddly. Best to stick with the metal gear diffs of the Manta.

Hope that helped!

Thanks, I think they have changed pretty much everything on the cars to get them to that speed. I’m tempted by a manta ray but am surprised by how much they are and how they seem to hold their value! I can’t get over how much some of the Tamiya cars actually sell for!

I have a manta ray I might part with if it's of interest? Are you in the UK? Drop me a pm if you want to chat about it.