Nwc100

Trim body first or paint first?

As simple as the title suggests, I've read a few different thoughts on trimming first or painting first, as a relative novice I was wondering what the best/ easiest option is?

Any thoughts and advice more than welcome, it's for the street sleeping Yaris we will be doing similar to this and has lots of stick on and screw on attachments so bearing that in mind as well!

We are going for this look!

Thanks

Nick

Screenshot_20200925-191926.png

I trim first and paint later as im a bit ham fisted with the scissors and knife and would probably end up scratching the paint. I also find it easier to make tweaks to the way the body sits on the chassis posts if its not painted as you can see where the wheel arches are lining up with the wheels and if anyghing needs small amounts shaving off.

• Like 4

Same as above. I always trim first to get the body perfectly fitted to the chassis. Then paint. When was young I remember painting a Cougar 2000 body before cutting it. The proceeded to scratch it up with my scissors. Lesson learnt.

• Like 1

Ditto,  the convention has always been trim first, then paint. Anecdotally, Tamiya sell a Tyrell P34 6 wheeler F1 car, with pre-painted body parts, which then have to be trimmed to construct the whole body. I’ve heard that the simple act of trimming can cause paint to come away, as if it is brittle, leaving a complicated touch up job which makes a quality finish hard to achieve.

edit: just found the thread about the Tyrrell - 

Trim first, then paint. The secret to trimming is to take it very slowly. I score a faint line with a good sharp blade, then go over it a few times, then bend and snap. I use scissors for really tight areas that are tricky with a blade.

I've done it both ways, and continue to do so. I have no real preference for either and am happy with both.

I have started painting first then trim. I sometimes lift the protective film when cutting so overspray can get on the out side of shell.

If I mess up the trimming does not matter if its before or after, would have to use the shell anyway

Just my opinion and way.

Either. I find if you trim first you can fixate on things that - once painted - are not perceptible. 

if it’s a really complicated shape then I’d lean towards trimming first, say an older buggy shell. Later buggy shells and touring shells not so much.

I have always trimmed first, lined up the body to the chassis them drilled the post holes and hole for other body parts, i.e. mirrors wings etc.

I use to use blades but then I got my self a Dremel and never looked back. These two tools are purfect for the strate bits and wheel arches. They have come down in price and if you have a good look round you can get great deals. No more bad cuts!

16012182343578552879113547442002.jpg

• Like 3

It depends. I think for most bodies you will trim it first and then paint it, but for some bodies, especially those with paint-like decals to apply to the edge of the wheel arches such as the BMW M3 E30 Schnitzer, you should paint and even apply some of the decals first before cutting out the body and trimming. 

BMWM3image.jpg

• Like 1

If you need to ask, then the answer is cut first. This is what the instructions state and it's in Tamiya's interest for you to get good results and be happy with your purchase.

Once you've got a few under your belt you can then decide based on your experience whether it's worth the risk destroying a paint job by cutting after. I've done 50+ bodies now and I always cut first. The only advantage I can see with cutting after is cleaner edges, which you can tidy anyhow with Tamiya's Polycarbonate Body Cleaner

10 hours ago, Truck Norris said:

The only advantage I can see with cutting after is cleaner edges, which you can tidy anyhow with Tamiya's Polycarbonate Body Cleaner

Easier to manipulate and a ready source of test material for airbrush work if the flashing is still on.

obvs irrelevant if you are only using spray cans.