Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

Top Force 2.0 re-build - Back to the track

Good afternoon all, well here in glorious America its begining to get cooler, leaves are starting turn and that means its time t go indoor racing.  Where im located clay offroad tracks are of the flavor, big jumps, woops, ans sweeping turns are of the order.  As my self and the wifey are saving for house there arnt funds to alocate for a new offroader. Looks like the Top Force/EVO will be placed into servie again.  This TF is a combination of parts from my Childhood TF and EVO spares from an EVO I raced 10 years ago and have sinced sold. All that letf of the EVO parts are some ball bearings, a smattering of EVO Titanium screws and the differential internals and the EVO body whuch wont be raced!

The gear train will get the complete EVO treatment with light weight differentials, One way, and internal rebuilds again.  Itll also receive the re-re aluminum motor mount and other EVO parts and new stuff as well.  Heres what we are starting with.

a2uuOyl.jpg

• Like 4

Heres whats going on first, apparently these are getting as difficult to get as Hicaps. Big ores, I got them from RCMart.  I got 2X rears as thats what the EVO calls for, will use internal spacers to limit the front length. OOh cant wait to see how these feel.

z6R0Dx3.jpg

• Like 4

Nice project! Lovely to hear that they will return back into use. ;)

I had my eye on those shocks from RC Mart a while ago but sadly they didn't appear to do a short/front version when I looked, was tempted to put them on my Avante2001.

Funny your comment about getting colder outside is time to go indoor racing - on clay tracks with a buggy??? We can only dream of that in the UK, well certainly in my part of it. We don't even have an outside dirt track within an hour drive and zero indoor buggy tracks to my knowledge anywhere. Oh well, being hardy northerners we just put on some warm clothing, fit waterproofing to the buggies and drive outdoors in the garden and park. Not so bad as long as you have a nice roaring log fire to come back in to :lol:

Looking forward to seeing your build progress. Would also love to see some pictures of your indoor track.

• Like 1

I got the front BBs built up today, i used the shorter front spring kit and internal spacers to get some droop and a softer spring rate up front, if I run out of pre-load ill go to the full length rear springs. These are not hard to build. Just follow the instructions, set your preload and you are done. These are AMAZING!!! These are for sure the next Hicaps as far as must have colectibles. 

4C0yOTg.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 12:54 PM, mud4fun said:

Nice project! Lovely to hear that they will return back into use. ;)

I had my eye on those shocks from RC Mart a while ago but sadly they didn't appear to do a short/front version when I looked, was tempted to put them on my Avante2001.

Funny your comment about getting colder outside is time to go indoor racing - on clay tracks with a buggy??? We can only dream of that in the UK, well certainly in my part of it. We don't even have an outside dirt track within an hour drive and zero indoor buggy tracks to my knowledge anywhere. Oh well, being hardy northerners we just put on some warm clothing, fit waterproofing to the buggies and drive outdoors in the garden and park. Not so bad as long as you have a nice roaring log fire to come back in to :lol:

Looking forward to seeing your build progress. Would also love to see some pictures of your indoor track.

Ill be heading to the track this weekend,. Ill get some pictures. RC Offroad is still popular here in the states.  1/8 has fallen out of favor again though so its difficult to find a suitable venue for my 801s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry gang I didnt get to the track this weekend.  In my opinion the Top force is the rere done right! Tamiya brought back all the hop ups from the 90s : Hicaps, One way, metal mount, bearings, and graphite chassis. With a wealth of spares as well. Why dont they do that for all the rere?

Speed set!

FEES7Lw.jpg

These should help clear the big jumps, just ordered a new idler gear, looks like the metal gear got to it a bit. WARNING, you will need larger pinions than the standard range, I didnt take that it in account. DOH!

P9M2Fqo.jpg

And the much needed aluminum motor mount for the brushlesh HP!

yuZJIAr.jpg

• Like 2

ooh, I'm jealous! Wish they would have brought out more hop ups for the thundershot/terra scorcher series and the Avante series - as proper hop ups at reasonable prices rather than us having to rely on buying ebay parts from split NIB sets. I never had a top force but from what I've seen it looks like an evolution of the Egress/Avante2001 chassis with lessons learned?? Much better lower arms, more rugged and with more adjustability. 

EDIT: Not sure if it is the photo being deceptive but it looks like you have quite wide tyres on the fronts? (on the dark grey/orange one) Doesn't that cause you handling issue? I find that using modern narrow front buggy wheels with the wide rears gives much more precise tracking, cornering and general handling. I have converted all my old 80's buggies to use wide rear/narrow front wheels and tyres. On certain surfaces the wide fronts used to cause understeer, on other surfaces they caused oversteer. The narrow fronts seem to be more consistent on all surfaces. Might just be me though LOL

On 10/3/2020 at 11:14 AM, GTodd said:

1/8 has fallen out of favor again though so its difficult to find a suitable venue for my 801s.

Why is that? Track size.

i only have one 1/8th buggy , i'm just plain scared of it:o

20 minutes ago, ACCEL said:

Why is that? Track size.

i only have one 1/8th buggy , i'm just plain scared of it:o

Im not sure, just no large tracks now where I moved too. Its why I missed out on the TRF 5XXs.  I was all in on the 801s. Now I dont have a 1/8 track.  Time to get the TF back up and running. 

On 10/5/2020 at 7:02 PM, mud4fun said:

ooh, I'm jealous! Wish they would have brought out more hop ups for the thundershot/terra scorcher series and the Avante series - as proper hop ups at reasonable prices rather than us having to rely on buying ebay parts from split NIB sets. I never had a top force but from what I've seen it looks like an evolution of the Egress/Avante2001 chassis with lessons learned?? Much better lower arms, more rugged and with more adjustability. 

EDIT: Not sure if it is the photo being deceptive but it looks like you have quite wide tyres on the fronts? (on the dark grey/orange one) Doesn't that cause you handling issue? I find that using modern narrow front buggy wheels with the wide rears gives much more precise tracking, cornering and general handling. I have converted all my old 80's buggies to use wide rear/narrow front wheels and tyres. On certain surfaces the wide fronts used to cause understeer, on other surfaces they caused oversteer. The narrow fronts seem to be more consistent on all surfaces. Might just be me though LOL

Hey just saw this as I get ready to continue work. Nope those are the narrow fronts. For reasons that you mentioned and as per what came with the TF.

• Thanks 1

Wife and little ones went to see the grandparents.  Might be able to finish part one of this build and TEST it this weekend.  Built and took these apart three times to get the length correct.  These things look amazing and feel great!!!!!

BrxqkFQ.jpg

p59Q8Qx.jpg

Please forgive the dirt, this isnt a retoration.  This buggy gets used! ALOT! More shortl!

• Like 7

5 hours ago, GTodd said:

Wife and little ones went to see the grandparents.  Might be able to finish part one of this build and TEST it this weekend.  Built and took these apart three times to get the length correct.  These things look amazing and feel great!!!!!

Please forgive the dirt, this isnt a retoration.  This buggy gets used! ALOT! More shortl!

Looks fab, I'm envious of those shocks.

No need to apologise about the dirt, my thundershot got its first proper clean in 8 years last week....the grime had just got so bad I was getting fed up of having to wash my hands every time I had touched it. :)

Made my self some EVO 2.0 wheels.  Orange Dye, plus 2.2 Tamiya White wheels with soft Tamiya Bow Ties which should work ok for clay.

8rmdByn.jpg

• Like 2

Time for the one way, I picked this up at my new local HS ( I moved) they had tons of vintage parts.  This being one of many.  Look at the date!

t6eCp5Q.jpg

Time to open the gear box, yikes, these are the orginal 1992 gears, they deserve a rest now. 

GHYYgJy.jpg

Already to drop in!!!!

C4fqRuo.jpg

Ugh forgot to get the pic installed :/

• Like 4

Next up, EVO diff upgrade! I got (2) of these at the local HS I mentioned, look at thr date 1998!!!!! 22 years old, they are old enough to buy Alcohol here in America :) 

mIdlZAM.jpg

WOW these are soooooooooooo much lighter, I forgot how light the evo differentials are, love the (1) piece thrust bearing. 

Man I need to crank down on the resolution, you all are going to think Ill of me!  The diff gear in reality isnt that dirty! Darn Pixel Camera is too good!

3ySPOnz.jpg

Lubed up and ready to go!

F9OR54U.jpg

• Like 1

Track was closed today! Test run next week, Ive got a parts order in with Tamiya USA At a stand still until then, hopefully I get a base line in for phase one.  Shoot my new body for it hasnt arrived yet either.

Heres how it stands right now:

Hobby wing 3750 Brushless system, Fibrelyte 2.5mm graphite chassis, and shock towers.  Using DT03 ball cups and turn buckles on all ends (these are amazing eliminated all the slop in the suspension) except for the front rods for camber (a part of Tamiya order).  Also looking for a way to mount a lipo saddle pack, anyone got ideas? Maybe the TRF5XX set up will fit.Ive got enough parts left over for a stock Top Force Build...hmmmmmmm. 

ugdM0ub.jpg

3tHYpbb.jpg

Yes I lnow I need work on my soddering skills!

FBYulE5.jpg

• Like 3

The solder on the motor side looks dangerously close to causing a short. I'd recommend you at least try to resolder the middle wire with a little less solder if possible.

Great build! I've always had a soft spot for the TF Evo. I recall seeing it at the LHS when I was a kid and wishing I could afford one.

10 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

The solder on the motor side looks dangerously close to causing a short. I'd recommend you at least try to resolder the middle wire with a little less solder if possible.

Great build! I've always had a soft spot for the TF Evo. I recall seeing it at the LHS when I was a kid and wishing I could afford one.

Yes sir, I redid it. Snipped the end and started fresh. I'll show w the next update.

• Like 1

Could you get some new battery strqps drawn up and made that extend inwards maybe 20mm each side? Then you could use a modern shorty. I have an FF01 FRP chassis with a battery install along the same lines, but not the same though, and i have been using a shorty pushed to one side to balance out the offset motor and padded out with battery foam block. 

14 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Could you get some new battery strqps drawn up and made that extend inwards maybe 20mm each side? Then you could use a modern shorty. I have an FF01 FRP chassis with a battery install along the same lines, but not the same though, and i have been using a shorty pushed to one side to balance out the offset motor and padded out with battery foam block. 

Thats a great idea! Do you have any pics?

8 hours ago, GTodd said:

Thats a great idea! Do you have any pics?

No, it's just an idea i had. The battery installion the FF01 is quite different to the top force. 

WOW its been 15 months since last update! What happened? Bought a house and life zoomed by. With the release of the rere EVO this project has changed course slightly. 

Hicaps are going on with Top Force Style shock towers. Ill be adding white wheels and going to a stock TF bodt painted box art green.  EVO internal upgrades will remain. 

Still planning to get it to the track!

• Like 1

Rear Graphite Top Force Style Shock tower with rere Hicaps

XCW7oX2.jpg

Front Graphite Top Force Style Shock towers with rere Hicaps

7GqtblC.jpg

Tamiya white 2.2" tires

dNRnio0.jpg

• Like 2