Mirrorman

KYOSHO Outlaw Rampage 34361T1 - anyone else?

Have one of theses coming - anyone else here have this RC truck ?  I've been out of the RC loop for about 4 years, so missed this when it was released.

Looks great , and with the pre-painted & pre trimmed body the whole package seems as easy deal. 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like 1

Ive got one. I also bought the rear roll cage with spare tyre.

The only issue with mine was the shocks leaked really badly out the box to the extent one of the front hubs and wheels was sopping wet with oil. Seems kyosho cant get this right - both my re re Javelin and Turbo Scorpion red alloy dampers also chronically leak to the extent i store them in a nest of paper towels.

I upgraded my Outlaw to the aluminium damper bodies which has solved it. To be honest when i add in the cost of those and the cage i could have bought the pro version that comes with them as standard but it wasnt out when I bought mine.

I also bought some additional ball bearings for it - as standard it comes with some plastic and metal bushes in the front wheels and gearbox - simple job to do but i remember them being slightly odd sizes compared to the spare bearings i have on tamiya kits so had to order them. The sizes are listed in ghe exploded view drawing in the box.

Other than that I love it. Suspension is super plush and the motor is pretty punchy. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Ive got one. I also bought the rear roll cage with spare tyre.

The only issue with mine was the shocks leaked really badly out the box to the extent one of the front hubs and wheels was sopping wet with oil. Seems kyosho cant get this right - both my re re Javelin and Turbo Scorpion red alloy dampers also chronically leak to the extent i store them in a nest of paper towels.

I upgraded my Outlaw to the aluminium damper bodies which has solved it. To be honest when i add in the cost of those and the cage i could have bought the pro version that comes with them as standard but it wasnt out when I bought mine.

I also bought some additional ball bearings for it - as standard it comes with some plastic and metal bushes in the front wheels and gearbox - simple job to do but i remember them being slightly odd sizes compared to the spare bearings i have on tamiya kits so had to order them. The sizes are listed in ghe exploded view drawing in the box.

Other than that I love it. Suspension is super plush and the motor is pretty punchy. 

It does look the part and the suspension looks to be "plush" from the running vids I've seen on YT.

I have ordered the bearing kit from a local supplier. They already have a set figured out so easy way to do it.  I also have the cage ordered, as well as the rear skid plate and a rear stabilizer set.  

I did look at the Pro kit, but as I'm still a newb when it comes to running an RC it seemed to make sense to buy the ready to run.  I'm sure I'll never get the body to look as good as the retro colours and stripes on the white version.  

Calling myself a newb thing may seem a little odd considering my membership starting date and some of the vintage kits and parts I have , but when it comes to building and running an RC I am a complete novice. I never ran RC back in my youth, so started VERY late in life. The only running cars I have are 1 x Tamiya XB Hornet , I x HG407 and 1 x Sandscorcher that I purchased built with all the running gear already installed. 

Anything I build will be the first time I am building an RC car to run.  

• Like 2

I wanted the pro version, but reading on other forums the weak point on this car are the gears, if you use brushed motors or a mild brushless motor like a 17.5 turns on 2s and do not turn the slipper clutch to tight they are fine.

If you want to put in a high power brushless motor like me, then you are eating gears, so for me thats the reasion why I do not buy it, Its a shame that they don't have metal gears in them like the rere models.

• Like 1

To be honest I dont think its chassis was ever designed for mental brushless power - its a wee bit top heavy at times and with the soft dampers will roll over if pushed to hard. It drives and looks much better at scale speeds with long gentle drifting type turns so the stock G15 brushed motor is more than enough for me. The pro kit comes with anti roll bars which might help out buts it cheaper to adopt a driving style that doesnt require them.

Out of interest, when i changed the bearings in the gearbox im pretty sure it had a steel pinion. What gear are other people stripping? The spur gear?

• Like 1

I watched a ton of YT videos and a high powered brushless system was mentioned as not the way to go with this RC . That's OK with me as I'm happy to run what it came with . Must be frustating for you guys who like 3s lipo and hot brushless though. 

One of them mentioned that the gaps around the motor let a ton of debris in, and that chews the gears to pieces. Apprently it's a simple fix , block off the gaps with some foam and all should be good.    I did order an extra set of gears just incase though. 

5 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

To be honest I dont think its chassis was ever designed for mental brushless power - its a wee bit top heavy at times and with the soft dampers will roll over if pushed to hard. It drives and looks much better at scale speeds with long gentle drifting type turns so the stock G15 brushed motor is more than enough for me. The pro kit comes with anti roll bars which might help out buts it cheaper to adopt a driving style that doesnt require them.

Out of interest, when i changed the bearings in the gearbox im pretty sure it had a steel pinion. What gear are other people stripping? The spur gear?

The idler gear is the one that stripped.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Appently this guys is running : quote  1080 esc from Hobbywing and a 13t 5 slot Power Hobby brushed motor. On 3s, this setup is more than fast enough.

I recon a Nihm would be fast enough for me .. lol

I really like the look of these, I do fancy one myself but trying not to buy any more cars for a while :o 

How do they compare size-wise to other 1:10 cars?  I haven't seen a photo of one against a similar-scale RC, but to me they look like they're somewhere between a Tamiya Baja F150 / Asterion and a Traxxas Slash?  Would be nice if they were in scale with other scale rigs, like an SCX10 or something, although they aren't quite aimed at the same terrain

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I really like the look of these, I do fancy one myself but trying not to buy any more cars for a while :o 

How do they compare size-wise to other 1:10 cars?  I haven't seen a photo of one against a similar-scale RC, but to me they look like they're somewhere between a Tamiya Baja F150 / Asterion and a Traxxas Slash?  Would be nice if they were in scale with other scale rigs, like an SCX10 or something, although they aren't quite aimed at the same terrain

I dont have any of those others you list but can take some additional measurements and comparison pics to scale of random household opjects if it helps ie; next to a mug, a bottle of wine, a Top Force, a teaspoon etc etc?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mirrorman said:

Appently this guys is running : quote  1080 esc from Hobbywing and a 13t 5 slot Power Hobby brushed motor. On 3s, this setup is more than fast enough.

I recon a Nihm would be fast enough for me .. lol

I saw this video a while back. Not sure what voodoo is going on that allows a 13t brushed motor to run on 3s without burning out though. Even a silver can struggles on 3s unless you have a crawler or something with low gearing like the Clod Buster 🤷‍♂️

I like the truck a lot though. It just shows a solid axle even with the transmission and motor attached can work well with the right setup. Yes it will roll on grippy surfaces but a lot of solid axle rigs do that such as the Twin Hammers and it's various clones. They seem to be superb on loose surfaces though, very realistic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

I saw this video a while back. Not sure what voodoo is going on that allows a 13t brushed motor to run on 3s without burning out though. Even a silver can struggles on 3s unless you have a crawler or something with low gearing like the Clod Buster 🤷‍♂️

I like the truck a lot though. It just shows a solid axle even with the transmission and motor attached can work well with the right setup. Yes it will roll on grippy surfaces but a lot of solid axle rigs do that such as the Twin Hammers and it's various clones. They seem to be superb on loose surfaces though, very realistic.

I assumed he was running 2s until I read in his description that he was in fact running a 3s.  Must say the rig does look good in this video. 

I see nothing but complaints about no grip with the tyres that Kyosho fits on this.   Is that tendancy for to roll on grippy surfaces maybe the reason why Kyosho fitted the tyres they did to this rig ?  

To be honest most manufactures cant win - if they were as soft as people would like for grip out of the box they would wear out in a few runs and the other half of the crowd where it will spend its life doing donuts on a gravel car park would be fed up replacing them after every couple of runs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superluminal said:

I dont have any of those others you list but can take some additional measurements and comparison pics to scale of random household opjects if it helps ie; next to a mug, a bottle of wine, a Top Force, a teaspoon etc etc?

Next to any standard-size touring car would be brilliant, or indeed a Top Force, I can guestimate from there :)

I would also like to see a pic of it next to a teaspoon, not because this is particularly useful, but because I'm curious about what teaspoons you have.

• Haha 3

I've "driven" one!

I'm tempted by one but I can't see where I would use it. I've also got a hankering for a monster truck now instead of a 'Baja' style truck.

Strange vehicle this, it's motor-on-axle. Looks fantastic with the cage and spare wheel options as already pointed out above. I wasn't aware of the leaky shock problems (but then, the shop owner is trying to get me to buy one :lol:)

The one thing that struck me though - that gearbox, simple as it is, is very NOISY. apparently Kyosho are working on an upgrade part (I'm guessing this is a steel ring gear?) but it was very loud when I tested it. It was so loud I was actually a bit put-off.

Would be interested to see a build manual and understand where the gearbox 'weak link' is, and whether there are parts aftermarket or OEM which can resolve it.

It didn't have the awesome wheels below when I drove it around on the shop floor.

89964588_2882867068427621_4640436714190405632_o.thumb.jpg.5924b7ec646a3ca9625e3c846cd4b82b.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Next to any standard-size touring car would be brilliant, or indeed a Top Force, I can guestimate from there :)

I would also like to see a pic of it next to a teaspoon, not because this is particularly useful, but because I'm curious about what teaspoons you have.

First picture is the teaspoon next to the control spoon to ensure the measuring spoons were correctly calibrated.

Next pictures are comparison sizes with a Top Force and TA03SW touring car.

I could have used the 1m steel rule but assumed measurements in spoons would be much more useful to you.

Resized_20200928_191933_7819.jpeg

Resized_20200928_192217_6907.jpeg

Resized_20200928_192259_6330.jpeg

Resized_20200928_192508_5755.jpeg

Resized_20200928_192702_4852.jpeg

Resized_20200928_192817_4179.jpeg

Resized_20200928_193053_3607.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Its actually huge!!! I'd say its closer to 1/8 scale than 1/10 which seems to be what most crawlers are compared to what we know as 1/10 with touring cars.

That is awesome @Superluminal, thank you. It is indeed huge on the spoon scale, more than four teaspoons, that's surely bigger than my scx10. However on the hobgoblin scale it is more reasonable.

The downside of using the hobgoblin scale is that as the night progresses one has less units available to measure by, on the plus side one cares less as the night goes on :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I got this truck last year or the year before (I forget) for cheap on eBay as a "needs repair" item.  The steering servo was dead but the rest of it was fine.  Fixed it with a new OEM servo.

It goes fast on 6-cell NiMH w/the stock brushed motor.  Suspension is really soft with lots of travel.  The rear solid axle doesn't make it a great driver, at least on asphalt, because once you start to turn one of the rear wheels loses traction and it just spins the tire like crazy due to open diff.  I do worry about flipping it turning at speed, so I slow it down first.  Shocks leak as previously mentioned.  It's a lot like a Hornet in the rear axle design: The motor is mounted to the solid axle as a single unit.  It is a large truck, certainly larger than 1/10 scale that I am used to.

The first time I drove it, I was surprised at the acceleration and how fast it was.  I guess I'm used to vintage Tamiya and Kyosho speeds so this was a step up.

It was worth the price I got it for, but not the original $250 pricetag, for my personal tastes.  Still, I wanted one ever since they were released, so when the bargain appeared, I bit.  No real regrets, but I haven't driven it at all this year if it means anything to you.  But my fleet is large so I cannot give every vehicle the attention it deserves.

• Like 1

Oh no.

Oh dear oh dear.

I re-visited the model shop this morning.

Guess who's just bought an Outlaw Pro? :lol:

I've paid and left the box at the model shop because - a. I was walking and b. I'm afraid of my wife!

What colour to paint it?!!! Ahhh let the procrastination run through me. By time I think of an idea and implement it this truck will be vintage!

• Like 5

It has arrived and it looks fantastic - Love it.   I am not much of a basher or into over high powered stuff (not knocking those who are)  so I don't see a problem coming up with this anytime soon. 

The bearing kit for it has also arrived - plus have the rear cage, rear sway bar and rear skid plate on the way. 

Most YT guys have noted the tyres are "useless",  with no grip.  The tyres gripped very well on my carpet , so it may be that these trucks are intended for the carpet or astro-turf tracks .   Just for fun. I did still order some other tyres and wheels 

The Chevy Silverado wheel base is 337.8 cm.

The FORD F-150 wheel base is 310.9 cm  to 415.8 cm (depending on cab & tray combination). 

The Rampage wheel base is 33 cm , so while it does look huge it is about right for 1:10th. 

Tyres_s-l1600.jpg

56 minutes ago, Mirrorman said:

It has arrived and it looks fantastic - Love it.   I am not much of a basher or into over high powered stuff (not knocking those who are)  so I don't see a problem coming up with this anytime soon. 

The bearing kit for it has also arrived - plus have the rear cage, rear sway bar and rear skid plate on the way. 

Most YT guys have noted the tyres are "useless",  with no grip.  The tyres gripped very well on my carpet , so it may be that these trucks are intended for the carpet or astro-turf tracks .   Just for fun. I did still order some other tyres and wheels 

The Chevy Silverado wheel base is 337.8 cm.

The FORD F-150 wheel base is 310.9 cm  to 415.8 cm (depending on cab & tray combination). 

The Rampage wheel base is 33 cm , so while it does look huge it is about right for 1:10th. 

Congrats! The tires aren't too bad on man-made concrete surface, at least when I first ran the truck. But it didn't have as much grip and its probably because the motor is a bit much for the stock tires or suspension setup. The base Outlaw definitely need some upgrades to take advantage of the truck's potential. The one thing I regret is running it aggressively on loose/dry dirt. After a couple of runs (even with some preventative seal on the gearbox) a lot of dirt still got in and the gears were stripped, had dirt all over a number of bearings. Maybe I didn't seal it well but it's primarily the Outlaw's design flaw and I wish they took care of this before selling the truck. Luckily, I have a spare set of gears and I just have to thoroughly clean everything and then keep it on tarmac and paved surfaces moving forward. 

As a side note, I got the base one and then slowly upgraded the parts. I was even able to find used Outlaw Pro shocks on fleabay for a fanatastic deal. Anyway, have fun with the truck! Attached some pics of my truck.

Mah-outlawa.jpg

Mah-outlawb.jpg

• Like 7

That looks amazing @Mechanic AH

Are the kit wheels 1.9"? 

I must admit they didn't feel particularly soft in the shop, but I just put this down to being a better wear compound. It's not a crawler after all!

• Like 1