Mirrorman

KYOSHO Outlaw Rampage 34361T1 - anyone else?

I have one as well! I got the RTR version in white with the extra cage. It's one of my favorite RCs to run. It takes some patience on power as it tends to roll over at speed, but I think it makes the driving experience more challenging and fun. On a new 2S lipo it's pretty quick with the stock setup. I have had the sliding steering rack bind up with dirt/mud, so watch out for that on the RTR version (kit version comes with different setup). Overall, though, I love this truck.

@Chris, yes, it comes with 1.9" beadlocks. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

That looks amazing @Mechanic AH

Are the kit wheels 1.9"? 

I must admit they didn't feel particularly soft in the shop, but I just put this down to being a better wear compound. It's not a crawler after all!

Thanks! Yes 1.9

• Like 1

Thanks folks. 

Now looking around for some aftermarket beadlocks and wheels :lol:

I've just ordered some awesome stickers from MCI Racing to do the bodyshell. I've been reading the manual and I'm gonna have to put the lamp pods on the front bumper!!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

Congrats! The tires aren't too bad on man-made concrete surface, at least when I first ran the truck. But it didn't have as much grip and its probably because the motor is a bit much for the stock tires or suspension setup. The base Outlaw definitely need some upgrades to take advantage of the truck's potential. The one thing I regret is running it aggressively on loose/dry dirt. After a couple of runs (even with some preventative seal on the gearbox) a lot of dirt still got in and the gears were stripped, had dirt all over a number of bearings. Maybe I didn't seal it well but it's primarily the Outlaw's design flaw and I wish they took care of this before selling the truck. Luckily, I have a spare set of gears and I just have to thoroughly clean everything and then keep it on tarmac and paved surfaces moving forward. 

As a side note, I got the base one and then slowly upgraded the parts. I was even able to find used Outlaw Pro shocks on fleabay for a fanatastic deal. Anyway, have fun with the truck! Attached some pics of my truck.

Mah-outlawa.jpg

Mah-outlawb.jpg

That looks fantastic Mechanic AH. 

I'm getting that same set of  tyres too,  as well as the wheel/tyre combo I pictured in my other post.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Thanks folks. 

Now looking around for some aftermarket beadlocks and wheels :lol:

I've just ordered some awesome stickers from MCI Racing to do the bodyshell. I've been reading the manual and I'm gonna have to put the lamp pods on the front bumper!!

There are a lot of choices when it comes to 1.9 beadlocks Chris.  You'll have fun spending your money . :D

I almost bought every set I spotted - so cheap from China , and with tyres fitted already. 

Funny how a paint job can change the look of a car. The RTR in White looks like a hobby level kit, even the silver pics of the pro look the same however the ones above are reaching a part they shouldn't:ph34r:

Just received my 1.9 beadlock wheels, I wanted something similar to @Mechanic AH, just looking at his pictures again and it appears I've bought exactly the same ones :lol:

I've ordered a Hobbywing Brushless setup for it, 8.5T, 3S capable. It might be 'too much' for it, but I'd rather have something too powerful and be able to dial it back than not powerful enough.

All I'm on the lookout for now is a suitable servo. What would your suggestions be? I had a couple in my spares but one is rated to 7kg and the other 5kg, both metal-geared but I think they're built for speed rather than torque. I'm thinking I might get a waterproof one?

What are folks recommendations for a SCT servo? The Savox site is most confusing!! (and in USD...)

3 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Just received my 1.9 beadlock wheels, I wanted something similar to @Mechanic AH, just looking at his pictures again and it appears I've bought exactly the same ones :lol:

I've ordered a Hobbywing Brushless setup for it, 8.5T, 3S capable. It might be 'too much' for it, but I'd rather have something too powerful and be able to dial it back than not powerful enough.

All I'm on the lookout for now is a suitable servo. What would your suggestions be? I had a couple in my spares but one is rated to 7kg and the other 5kg, both metal-geared but I think they're built for speed rather than torque. I'm thinking I might get a waterproof one?

What are folks recommendations for a SCT servo? The Savox site is most confusing!! (and in USD...)

I upgraded the stock RTR servo early on (and then some of the suspension components). I just felt with the supplied 15T motor it wasn't an ideal match since the truck can sometimes be a bit erratic in the handling department (with stock suspension, tires, etc.). 

My criteria for the upgraded servo was something cheap, better than stock, and a Kyosho branded servo. My research led me to a Kyosho Prefex KS5031-09MW. It's a metal gear servo as opposed to the stock/plastic and this one is used on some of the 1/8 Kyosho 4WD kits so it should be enough. The one I bought (unused) was pulled off of a Kyosho Mad Crusher, if Im not mistaken. Here are the specs:

Torque: 124.98 oz-in (9kg-cm) 
Speed: 0.15 @6.0V 

It's really affordable  if you get it on fleabay. I think I paid $15 USD with shipping. Hobby stores sell them for double or so. I did notice a difference especially on loose dirt and where I push the truck hard on turns and corners. But, I don't use anywhere near 8.5T + 3S. I moved to a slower motor, a 20T and use a 5000mAh NiMH battery. I'd be curious to hear how it handles and performs with your set up. Let me know when you do get it running.

Sounds like one of my existing servo's might be more than capable then. 

I went for that setup because the shop owner who sold me mine has one himself (posted earlier, the green truck). I test drove his on 2S with a 4800KV system in it and it went well but I felt like the chassis could take it. Closest Hobbywing setup I could get to 4800KV was their 8.5T brushless. I doubt I'll ever run it on 3S, but the option is there I guess!

Just thinking on paint schemes now, I fancy doing metallic red.

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Just thinking on paint schemes now, I fancy doing metallic red.

😍

I love this truck. Looks good sitting, driving, drifting, jumping. (Even crashing sometimes)

So... it's known the spur on these is often molded badly, which accounts for noise and gear destruction. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-crawler-rcs/610949-oss-outlaw-rampage-pro-2.html#post5957663

"Quick inspection of the gears. The spur was molded bad... noticed it when installing the motor and setting the mesh. Knew it wasn't going to last, though I was hoping for more than 30 seconds. It's out of round bigtime....notice the first pic is good mesh, the second it barely makes contact with the pinion. Not to mention the screwed up tooth profile. Entire gear stripped, going to have to pull the gearbox and clean it all out - full of plastic dust. "

I replaced the kyosho spur with a losi unit #LOS232038 (direct fit, except for a bit of drilling the center hole.) and others report the AE unit works fine too.

Here's a few pics of mine. I run a 4300kv motor, 2s, ds3218 servo (generic). Very easy to overpower this chassis so I've got my throttle EPA at 60% and run the throttle expo super low. This keeps the power delivery smooth off neutral.

IMG_9247.jpg

IMG_9263.jpg

IMG_9266.JPG

• Like 3

Looks fantastic @bad andy B)

I was going to ask if it was possible to mask off the wheel arches and you've answered my thoughts!

Does the Pro kit come with a pinion? Do you think it's worth upgrading to the Losi 48p Spur straight away, just in case?

On 9/28/2020 at 8:25 AM, ChrisRx718 said:

I've "driven" one!

I'm tempted by one but I can't see where I would use it. I've also got a hankering for a monster truck now instead of a 'Baja' style truck.

Strange vehicle this, it's motor-on-axle. Looks fantastic with the cage and spare wheel options as already pointed out above. I wasn't aware of the leaky shock problems (but then, the shop owner is trying to get me to buy one :lol:)

The one thing that struck me though - that gearbox, simple as it is, is very NOISY. apparently Kyosho are working on an upgrade part (I'm guessing this is a steel ring gear?) but it was very loud when I tested it. It was so loud I was actually a bit put-off.

Would be interested to see a build manual and understand where the gearbox 'weak link' is, and whether there are parts aftermarket or OEM which can resolve it.

It didn't have the awesome wheels below when I drove it around on the shop floor.

89964588_2882867068427621_4640436714190405632_o.thumb.jpg.5924b7ec646a3ca9625e3c846cd4b82b.jpg

What body Is that?

7 hours ago, Brut4s said:

What body Is that?

That's the standard body that come with the kit. Pretty much an early 70s F100 with 2 grill options.

• Like 1

I’ve kind of been interested in an IRS, solid rear axle scale desert truck like this for a while, but not enough to actually buy one yet. 
Some of the builds I see in this thread are inspiring. 

On 9/28/2020 at 4:19 PM, Champ85 said:

I got this truck last year or the year before (I forget) for cheap on eBay as a "needs repair" item.  The steering servo was dead but the rest of it was fine.  Fixed it with a new OEM servo.

It was worth the price I got it for, but not the original $250 pricetag, for my personal tastes.  Still, I wanted one ever since they were released, so when the bargain appeared, I bit.  No real regrets, but I haven't driven it at all this year if it means anything to you.  But my fleet is large so I cannot give every vehicle the attention it deserves.

hi, I have a chance to pickup one with also a broken servo saver, which I know is the same as my Kyosho Axxe, and I'm able to replace it with a spare alumi servo horn i have. if you don't mind, how much did you pay for the broken one for cheap on ebay? Thanks.

On 4/13/2021 at 2:42 PM, thchen said:

hi, I have a chance to pickup one with also a broken servo saver, which I know is the same as my Kyosho Axxe, and I'm able to replace it with a spare alumi servo horn i have. if you don't mind, how much did you pay for the broken one for cheap on ebay? Thanks.

Hi, I had to look it up.  This was in June of 2018:

image.png.3943854d842aa28cf1c85dcc7245ca77.png