Sign in to follow this  
Hellow

TA02S to RWD?

Greetings – first post here and a new in the hobby!

I’ve TA02S (Lancia 037 body) and I’ve had a thought that it would be nice to have the Lancia 037 RWD as the real car is. Therefore I was wondering what it would need to convert TA02S to RWD from AWD and is TA02 good platform for RWD.

So I ask your advice for this topic. So far I've heard and read several things and ways to convert it but I want to get it right and not harm the car.
1) I’ve heard that taking main drive shaft that connects front and back should do the job

2) Also I’ve heard that taking dogbones from front wheels should do the trick etc.

So what kind of things I should consider if I would convert TA02 to RWD from AWD and is it a dumb idea? Also to note that this is a rally build so no need for drift conversions. 

Any advice? 😊

Did it years ago. I remember it not being as great as I had hoped. Easy to just pull the main drive shaft and see if you like it. Then if it works OK start removing parts up front like the dog bones or even the front diff parts to reduce weight. I seem to remember it really liked to oversteer with out the front wheels being driven.

Be aware that the car is already set up to drive like a RWD car. See matteo's video.

Converting it to RWD will probably make it undriveable.

• Like 1

It can be done - but it won't make for a nice driving car.  As @salvine says, remove as much as you can from the front end to reduce drag and weight, ideally you want to move plenty of weight rearwards to keep the rear wheels planted.

The M04 has the motor in front of the rear wheels, and it wasn't an easy car to drive.  The M06 moved the motor behind the axle and was capable of some fast laptimes at my local track (much faster than an M05 in clubman spec), the M08 has again moved the motor forwards of the axle but there's over 2 decades of chassis development between that and a TA02.

The real question would be how driveable do you want it to be, and how much work do you want to put in?  Just removing the front transmission parts will get you started but you'll probably find it's very twitchy and hard to drive.  A gyro might help but with limited steering lock (due to it being a 4wd-derived front end and no RC really having much steering lock until drift cars came along), even a gyro will struggle to get it out of big spins.

It might be an interesting experiment if you were to play with diff tension, front and rear damping / springs / shock angle etc, but whether it's worth it depends on what you want to achieve.

I'm pretty sure @ThunderDragonCy converted a RWD buggy into a neat-handling RWD rally car but it wasn't a simple conversion.

Thank you all for advices! I'll start by removing front transmisson parts plus add a gyro in. If it does feel drivable than I'll try to improve it by experiments with diff tension and suspension setup.

If it does feel undrivable I'll just use it as 4wd. I'm still taking all the advices for the subject.

Hoping these kind of results with Gyro. :) 

Also wthat a beautiful Stratos body - if someone does know a place where such a beautiful Stratos bodies are still being sold I'm happy to hear that aswell. Looked earlier for the HPI-racing Stratos HF body but didin't find anyplace where it's being sold anymore. 

• Like 2

The gyro makes a big difference I'm going to put one in my sandscorcher and make that more enjoyable to drive 

I removed as much parts and weight from the front end as I could. It helped a bit but the understeer was still quite bad.

But now I've got the gyro and it does indeed make the RWD conversion very enjoyable to drive. :)

Next I'll be trying to improve the experience even more with suspension setup and maybe with diff tension. Also I think I'll make some experiments with weight in rear and front. Thank you all for the help!

A TA-02 as RWD can be compared to a modern 2WD Buggy with the motor in front of the rear axle. They build this, because modern carpet off road tracks have a lot of grip. So grip in the back was no problem.

Also a bit of a problem with the TA-02 is the toe in at the back. This makes the car very stable at the back. So a way to reduce this will help.