TonyH

Help... Smoky Motor - King Cab

In my king cab I'm running a hobby wing 1060 esc, Apex 540 17t motor, thorp diff, with a venom 5000mah battery 7.2v...

motor starts smoking after running all out... happened on another motor also 

Is it too much battery? Diff is set pretty tight, not too much slip.

Oh no. You are letting the magic smoke out of the can!! ;)  If the diff is tight like you say, I would guess that is putting the motor under excess load causing it to over heat. Once all the magic smoke is gone, the motor will not work anymore.. I would suggest you fix the diff so that it doesn't create the drag it seems to be creating. 

• Haha 1

No such thing as too much battery as far a mah is concerned. It will only supply the current the motor wants to draw. Having the diff tight in itself will not cause a problem early Tamiya such as the sand rover didn't even have a diff, and most crawlers don't have 'locked' diffs. Worst case it will try and spin the inner rear wheel when cornering. Sounds more like something pinching in the transmission, are you sure the pinion mesh is correct. (There should be a tiny amount of backlash between the pinion and the spur gear. Check this is the case all the way round the spur gear as it may be slightly eccentric causing tight spots.) As @Tudorp says, once the magic smoke comes out the motor is usually toast. What surface are you running it on ? Old manuals used to say to avoid running cars in long grass, as this can put an additional load on the motor and cause it to overheat.

Yikes was definitely running on some grass for a good bit 😖...spur/pinion spacing is good. May be time for a new motor and go easy on the grass. As long as the battery/esc/motor setup is compatible it must be that. 

Did you change the gear ratio to suit the 17t motor? If not then I would think that would cause a problem like you describe.

Wound up going with the Sport Tuned RS 540 Tamiya motor & have the diff adjusted properly.. Loads of fun now & even get some wheelie action. 

• Like 1