Moonraker1

Polycarbonate Body Repair Advice Please

My Jordan 191 polycarbonate body has a split and is sprung open as shown in the photos below and I would appreciate some advice on the best repair method. My initial idea was to glue a small piece of polycarbonate on the inside of the body and clamp it until stuck to bring it back into place. But what glue should I use on a polycarbonate body and is sheet polycarbonate available to support it, if where can I buy it? Expert advice welcomed.

DSC_0290r.JPG.ec1dd32c54b296c694d08bf1a904f0bb.JPGDSC_0291r.JPG.c39dfe9bc8e2ac409673f384660d92c4.JPG

First it's going to effect the paint.

you should try to remove the small area of paint (roughed up with fine sand paper is fine) where being patched.

you'll need left over piece of lexan if you have(always nice to have scraps especially any angles and or corner rounded pieces, or a piece of chassis protector.

cut to fit (i always leave a little over hang to grab onto if possible and trim after it's dry).

Shoe Goo and or Goop, local hardware stores have these products. apply tape, off, i use office clips and clothes pins or any thing that can help keep pressure on the patch until dry,

that said use wax paper, i use cereal bags and cut the pieces needed so the so called clamps do not stick to them press in material to squeeze out air bubbles and has somewhat of an even surface, let dry and remove your pressings and apply a sticker to hide your rip may need two to match and balance the opposite side.

Permatex  RTV Gasket maker gray, black and or copper works ok.

they do have an aluminized foil/fiberglass tape also.

in a pinch Gorrilla Tape is the fastest or TRex tape

Thanks ACCEL for your comprehensive reply. I am in the UK so I'll have check to see if the products you mentioned are available here.

oh yeah apparently UHU Power (it's kinda yellow though, Goo & Goop are clear) would work also, i did forget to mention that the the Goo and this UHU do heat up the plastic so do not go overboard on the amount it can melt the plastic if too much is used. The Gasket Maker is a tough silicone so it doesn't melt anything.

and your welcome.

Have fun and use in a ventilated area.

Safety First!

Hi ACCEL thanks again for the info. I have a further question, I have seen a mention of Revell Contacta Professional for repairing cracks on bodies. Would this be suitable for repairing polycarbonate bodies or would it heat up and melt the plastic like the others?

3 hours ago, Moonraker1 said:

Hi ACCEL thanks again for the info. I have a further question, I have seen a mention of Revell Contacta Professional for repairing cracks on bodies. Would this be suitable for repairing polycarbonate bodies or would it heat up and melt the plastic like the others?

Revell Contacta Professional for precise gluing. With the needle-fine cannula, micro-precise bonding can be carried out on tiny details and on the edges of transparent parts.

Special properties:

•  
  • With plastic welding effect (This tells me it does)  it appears to be model cement so i believe it won't stay rubbery
  • Liquid consistency of the adhesive
  • Needle-thin cannula for precise gluing
  • Suitable for gluing small parts
  • Subsequent adhesive application possible

and it mentions it's for polystyrene, it won't work.

I use to use this but it's discontinued, i liked it alot

TrackStar Body Repair Glue

i think because people were using other products and bypassing this, i never had any problems.

i liked using the Permatex Ultra Gasket Maker for added rubber baby buggy bumpers for extra interior strength in those areas where needed.

some how my bumpers tend to crack always in the middle it seemed.

10 minutes ago, ACCEL said:

I'am going to purchase The Revell Contacta Professional glue right flipp'n now, never heard of it before, it either works or doesn't , i dig experiments.

Thanks again and if you don't mind I'll wait for the results of your experiments before I attempt it on my vintage body! I look forward to your results with bated breath!

4 hours ago, Moonraker1 said:

Thanks again and if you don't mind I'll wait for the results of your experiments before I attempt it on my vintage body! I look forward to your results with bated breath!

i posted that before i realized it was for polystyrene, it's just good Ol' fashion sniffing glue (for stagnant models). already have Testors here. haven't built a model in quite some time.

7 hours ago, ACCEL said:

posted that before i realized it was for polystyrene, it's just good Ol' fashion sniffing glue (for stagnant models). already have Testors here. haven't built a model in quite some time.

Just to clarify are you saying that it is only suitable for polystyrene? And there are tests of it on the club forum?

6 minutes ago, Moonraker1 said:

Just to clarify are you saying that it is only suitable for polystyrene? And there are tests of it on the club forum?

no it's model glue (it'll stick, it'll hold but won't last if it dry's hard),  the other adhesives, well they dry like rubber.

14 hours ago, Moonraker1 said:

Ok so it's not flexible when it's dried but ok on polycarbonate otherwise?

I'm thinking not they are two different plastics.

Elmer,s would work but not for very long.

Shoe Goo and Goop, if you skim it it'll be fine, you glob it on it'll be a mess.

Ok the horse is dead.

That rip i se in your picture is rather minor really and should patch easily.

Moonraker1 it was my pleasure and fun, because we are always looking for something else to use in case A. you can not acquire the product you are use to, B. because there's always something better and newer to try C. it's just darn right fun:)

trust me i've been looking for other products off and on since you ask this question, always something elsee to learn and purchase.

Per haps this should be moved to General Discussions, i can't believe that the Wizards have not chimed in on this.

anyways i wish you the best of luck and God Speed, because i also need it to,

now i'm looking for different color window tint for my XV-03 instead of smoke, have yellow and hoping to fiind a dark deep green like the Green Hornet

1966 Z Movie Car Green Hornet Black Beauty | Ideal Classic Cars LLC

Was Green Hornet's 'Beauty' the First of All Supercars? - The New York Times

The newer movie watched about 15min and puked, the show back in the day was ok, but the car was the Star even though I dig Bruce.

ACCEL once again thanks for another top answer I have really enjoyed our little journey of discovery together this club and the members are fantastic, very helpful and knowledgeable.

Stay safe and good luck with your window colour tint search I'm sure you will find it.

What part of the States are you, I have relatives in Minnesota and California?

As an aside now that the orange one has the virus do you think it will make any difference to his approach?

• Like 1

I use vinyl wrap often, but any slight defect it pimples through.

it all started on a journey some odd years ago with my work truck side view mirror, well if you did the the left then the right had to follow, now i'm pretty good at it.

yes this is fun because even certain simple questions gets me motivated to search newer products and ideas and methods and well i just go off and find out why and then if it's good i buy.

I'm in the greater smokey Bay Area known as Canker, i mean Concord:lol:

been here................maybe           a bit to long, aaah! it's home.

Poly-film last night i purchased three colors, two different blues and a green.

i've used in the past. yellow and Tamiya's tint spray paint, there's more company's that make different color sprays.

Thank you so much for your inquires it keeps me on my toes and sometimes on my ear.

anyways i'll post later when those tints come in.

Have a great and fun time Moonraker 1 

eric.

4 hours ago, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

Maybe Tamiya clear green. Might not be the right shade?

i thought of that, but once you screw up a spray tint job Well "SOOL!"

but hey it's another idea and they're always welcomed.

the yellow i mentioned earlier were for a 3D printer for their screen of some sort, i forget exactly, it worked, but stickier than fly paper.