Mechanic AH

What is an iconic or quintessential Tamiya kit to have and build?

I have a couple Tamiya kits that still needs to be built (Blitzer Beetle and Porsche Black Edition) but I was wondering what would be a very good iconic Tamiya kit to build? Something that is a quintessential Tamiya kit to have, or an example of what a Tamiya is. Any suggestions? Something that's popular and still attainable perhaps? Or something with a lot of history and enthusiasts find fascinating?

My other thought is to go outside Tamiya and build something like a Schumacher Cat XLS—I've always wanted to build that one. Like go for something quite difficult to build. I also have an unbuilt Kyosho Scorpion but lately have been thinking of Tamiya. I'd like to avoid kits that are too old, uses very old technology, and where the parts are rare.

Any suggestions? It can be on- or off-road. Thanks!

• Like 2

Avante

Building it is a completely unique experience. Like assembly a precision engineered piece of sculpture in aluminium and carbon.

Ive never run mine but it sounds like a bit let down in terms of driving experience but as a kit theres nothing in the same league (apart from the Avante Black and a snort of Egress maybe)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For me, the most quintessential Tamiya kit is the Hotshot. Plenty of plastic, plenty of clever engineering, far more parts than necessary, but an enjoyable build, not a great performer either, but very nice to look at!

• Like 8

Hot Shot.

Just as I picture an Optima when I think of Kyosho, I think of a Hot Shot when I think of Tamiya...

• Like 4

For me, the ones that scream "Tamiya" are the "trio" of Grasshopper, Hornet, and Frog. They were so ubiquitous during the 80s, and they're inexpensive enough that you could build all 3 if you want... those three models on a shelf would be instantly recognizable to almost anyone as a tribute to Tamiya.

• Like 7

Sand Scorcher (or any SRB), far more metal parts than an Avante and every time I work on one it takes me straight back to xmas 1982 when I got my Sand Scorcher, my first Tamiya RC car.

• Like 8

Considering that the latest RC kit is #677, it's not an easy pick.    

Maybe I suggest a dozen? You can pick what you like.  

[Vintage]

1) Grasshopper/Hornet:  Just sheer number of them says, "This is Tamiya."  Compared to race buggies, these are very ancient.  

2) Wild Willy 1: Wheelie vehicles have not been duplicated by many other makers, so it could be quintessential Tamiya.  WW1 is unavailable, but Wild Willy 2 and Comical series are available. You can choose WW2, Toyota FJ40, Comical (Grasshopper, Hornet, Frog, Avante, etc. --some are 4WD)

3) Bruiser: Same reason as WW1. Nothing says Tamiya louder than a 3-gear gearbox.  

4) Hotshot family:  They kinda changed the RC world with 4WD buggy.   

5) CC-01:  Still very decent trail chassis, even though it came out in the 90s.  CC-02 is new.  

[Contemporary] 

1) Konghead/Dynahead:  If you see a funny looking 6x6 vehicle ripping about, it's most likely Tamiya.    

2) DT-02: It's a cheap and fun buggy. DT-03 is the same. A very Tamiya way to introduce people to RC.  

3) DN-01:  It's not widely available, but you can still find it.  Very well balanced 2WD buggy. 

4) XV-01:  Very unique in that it's a 4WD Rally chassis with the motor mounted on the nose: it runs like a real car in that sense.  

5) T3-01:  A trike that uprights itself?  Who else would build that but Tamiya?

6) M-05, M-06, M-07, M-08:  Touring cars that represents the Tamiya drive quality.  

Unfortunately, I don't know much about on-road cars, aside from M-chassis I own.  I hope about a dozen out of 600+ isn't too many.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

For me, the ones that scream "Tamiya" are the "trio" of Grasshopper, Hornet, and Frog

Same here,  +1 for the trio

• Like 2

Wow! Lots of really good suggestions. Thanks everyone!

From the recommendations, I can think of a number to choose from in no order:

1. Avante?
I'm torn between the 2011 re-release (58489 blue) or the Black Special edition (47390). What would you all choose between the two? I know the black has a couple upgraded parts but the blue is quite nostalgic.

2. Egress
I prefer this over the Avante but only if it was as attainable. I remember the excitement when this came out but I only knew two people who actually bought it because it was quite expensive. Have to look at the auctions.

#1 and 2 seems quite a choice especially because of the materials and build quality. 

3. Hotshot
Good suggestion. I wish I bought one earlier this year when merchants were still selling them. I do see stocks of Supershot though. I figured people would recommend this one. Maybe only if I can get it for a normal price.

4. Hornet
I do have a Grasshopper but never had a Hornet. I think this could be an interesting build in terms of what I can do to the exterior and options. I remember these were quite fast back in the day even with a 540 stock motor. I probably would do some exterior customization.

5.  Frog
A bit of an eccentric kit but I probably would customize the look. Almost bought one earlier this year but ended up getting the Kyosho Scorpion.

6. Sand Scorcher
Might put this on the back of my list for now since the Blitzer Beetle has a beetle shell. I know they're entirely different but they kinda will look a like.

7. Bruiser
Quite interesting. I definitely dream of having one but will put this on hold just because it's $$$!

Contemporary ones I think only the DN-01 seems interesting right now...

8. DN-01
I guess this is the Zahhak? I kinda like this and from what I gather it's very underrated. I remember seeing this sell for $160 last year! I really regret not buying one.

I keep thinking about the Fox/Novafox. I thought it would be on the 2WD list but maybe I'm entirely mistaken and it's not a good choice? So Is the Fox (or Novafox) not well liked?

• Like 1

I’m surprised no ones mentioned the monsters. Plenty of iconic Tamiya in this category. 

Tamiya = so much to chose from! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For me definately the Avante

Just because the complex but highly attractive and interesting construction is rewarded at the end with one of the best looking buggies ever made.

• Like 1

I think this will depend on when you first discovered Tamiya. For me its the Boomerang, as that was my first, and Fox as they match.  Now I have a boomer and Novafox next to each other and they look great together, they really sum up Tamiya for me. Quirky design, kind of scale/looks like it could be real, performs pretty well. 

Objectively, the Hotshot would be the iconic one from that era though. Or the SRB from the previous era.

Also the Monster Beetle, that one captured everyones imagination BITD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Juggular said:

1) Konghead/Dynahead:  If you see a funny looking 6x6 vehicle ripping about, it's most likely Tamiya.    

6) M-05, M-06, M-07, M-08:   

I have built a King Yellow ( other body variant of ten Konghead ) and an M-06.

They are both very much representative of Tamiya.
I also have a CW-01 Midnight Pumpkin.I. Ought it built but I did a tear down into install bearings. Putting it back together was a fun, easy build. 

• Like 1

For me, even though its not the kind of model I drive much at all,if I had the money to spare,i would have to buy and build a genuine Avante or as near re-release

• Like 1

I think something like the Lunchbox... iconic looks, interesting driving dynamics, but heaps of fun. 

• Like 2

Clod Buster. It's been on sale constantly since the 1980s in one form or another. Everything else has come and gone, and some have come back again, but the Clod just kept on selling without a break.

• Like 2

For me it would be one of these

Boomerang - my first Tamiya encounter

Grasshopper - my first Tamiya owned

Avante - the Tamiya I dreamed about most. It has to be blue too.

• Like 1

First thoughts that entered my mind before reading the thread:

At one end of the price scale - Grasshopper - epitomises early Tamiya entry-level design, instantly recognisable, introduced so many people to the RC scene and still relevant toady as a first build.  And they are so cheap there's no excuse for a serious collector not to at least have had one, even if it's just to experience the build then sell on.

At the other end - Sand Scorcher - the build experience is different to anything else (except possibly the early Kyosho cars with the same design philosophy).  Looks fantastic and driven on the right terrain (the beach, obviously) it's a total blast.

I also considered the Bruiser etc. but the price point puts them out of range of many of us, they are a dream ticket item, not something to aspire to.

Some other suggestions are great, of course - the Super Clod is an icon in its own right, the Avante showcases the pinnacle of Tamiya innovation (at least in theory if not in practice), the HotShot is as close to the perfect build experience as you can get and for sheer realism the tractor truck series is unbeatable except possibly by the tanks, although they are a significant side-step from the mainstream Tamiya experience.

• Like 1

The Hot Shot as said before has to be on the short list. Also the Porsche Black Edition. Others may say Avante or even the original Hornet!

Avante. It's simply on another level compared to all the other models. The others you build, the Avante you assemble a miniature carbon and alloy race car. Don't think I've enjoyed putting a RC Car together as much as I have with that. Fit and finish of parts is truly exemplary, its presented properly in old school blister packs and is stunning when done. I've never dared run mine however... Its just too pretty! 

DSC_0003_1

• Like 3

I think this depends which era you grew up in but for me the Hornet and Lunchbox scream Tamiya. 

• Like 1

Lunchbox or wild Willy would get my vote. I guess it depends what era you grew up in and if you ever raced.

Avante for example does look awesome and although it was released when I was a kid it wasn't the average child's play thing, so it wasn't even on my radar. Definitely more about the entry level cars for me  when you are talking iconic. 

• Like 1