Seanster43

TB-01 Speed Run Project

Hello, as some of you may know I have acquired a thing for the TB-01 chassis. This will be a slow build/rebuild with the hope for something quick at the end of it. Now we all know the standard TB-01 is built like a tank and goes like one. This will be different. I’m going to make the car light with power and now that I have just about sourced all the parts I need the build can begin. I will be looking for some other bits as I go and any tips would be appreciated. I’ve had a nosey over @TwistedxSlayer build threads and have enjoyed them so trying to do something a bit different. Won’t be like my other projects but hoping for a quick car for some fun speed runs.

Cheers

Sean

• Like 3

A few bits to get started cleaned most of this wiped clean its in excellent condition guy I got it from says was more of a bling project. Came in handy as managed to use a couple of bits for my other TB—01. 

58C35A87-A236-404F-A8B2-A8BD6FA0BC0C.jpeg

• Like 1

Strip down and clean has begun, swapped the steering over form my mint TB-01 to this just trying to weigh things like the gearboxes and other parts to see what’s the lightest not much in it to be fair obvious thing is the prop shaft.  Just a couple of bits to source but I know these are readily available so can be bought whenever the main thing was getting the main chassis running gear etc. 

FE81EEEE-605E-4C53-99FE-E623C38B132B.jpeg

001B759E-FE98-47F0-863C-D9843DFB142E.jpeg

8A217E52-BAB7-4CA9-A195-E81FD44AD170.jpeg

24BCE104-13F8-45AF-8834-EA247479E2B2.jpeg

My first port of call would be an alloy motor mount. I think you'll need the strength and the gearing options. You can then use imperial spur and pinion gears which are cheap and on the shelf in every model shop.

I would also go with the steel propshaft. If you use the alloy one you'll eat through lots of rear pinion gears, and if you use the carbon one it'll split where the carbon bit meets the metal bit, and leave you with 2WD.

Watching with interest!

Got one at the ready, thanks and that‘s good advice regarding the gearing, I have a steel prop shaft on another runner so that was the plans to swap them,  weight over power I guess and like you say the steel one will cope. 

EB6C035B-B178-4453-A6D7-2D5885488E3B.jpeg

• Like 1

Actually, I might have goofed a bit there. It was my TA that I changed to imperial gears, I used mod .04 gears on my TB. I don't know if there are any imperial spur gears that will mount to the propshaft. My bad.

Looks like Tamico at least still have quite a few mod .04 TB01 spurs in stock if you need some.

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=2454&lang=eng

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=2954&lang=eng

• Thanks 1

I've got a few spare 0.4 spurs for the TB01 that I'm never gonna use.

GPM make a alloy prop with the steel splines if you can source one.

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2020 at 10:21 AM, TwistedxSlayer said:

I've got a few spare 0.4 spurs for the TB01 that I'm never gonna use.

GPM make a alloy prop with the steel splines if you can source one.

As you’ve ran a few of these what would you recommend spur wise, gonna start of with a 10.5T motor then take it from there, still got a few bits to source. Found a carbon prop shaft with the splines 👍🏻 

Nice. Which carbon prop is it?

There are only a couple of options for 0.4 spurs that fit this chassis. If your going for speed id aim for the biggest one which is 88t to memory

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Nice. Which carbon prop is it?

There are only a couple of options for 0.4 spurs that fit this chassis. If your going for speed id aim for the biggest one which is 88t to memory

It’s a Japanese hop up with the steel splines, so here’s hoping. It will take a while to get here though as from overseas. Okay appreciate that just trying to get the balance with the correct motor etc. 

• Like 1

Depends how much you wanna spend.

You could buy a selection of M3 stainless steel countersunk screws from Kays Fasteners on ebay and do the whole car for like 11quid.

Or you could spend a lot more than that and buy titanium ones which a little lighter, stronger but 4 times the price @svenb
is the titanium master of screws

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nice one do they do the whole set or is it a case of getting the info from the manual for total amounts?

Get the info from the manual, think I did mine with a selection of m3 8mm, 10mm countersunk and dome heads. 

There are some companies on eBay with do sell sets for the TB01, they usually retail around 16quid

3 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

There are some companies on eBay with do sell sets for the TB01, they usually retail around 16quid

Or about £1600 for titanium 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Or you could spend a lot more than that and buy titanium ones which a little lighter, stronger but 4 times the price @svenb
is the titanium master of screws

Master! 

Maybe the first three letters of titanium 😉

• Haha 2

Gearbox swaps done so metal diffs now in place for the carbon chassis. My poor runner is in bits, being properly neglected, but knows it’s for the good of this project😂.

65BC04BA-45A5-47C7-9530-ACE470A17499.jpeg

6BD2E557-5A10-4D2F-A5AF-610961FA4DF8.jpeg

Sorry for the lack of updates been a busy bee with work etc. Still related to the TB-01 I’m looking for a bit of advice for my shelf queen one. Any ideas if the alloy shock mount can fit with the stabiliser set would it be used with or without the plate? I have attached a picture, the car does get a light run so don’t want it to come to bits hence why I’m a bit curious.

4B520870-AABF-4420-92E0-52E7250C1C0A.jpeg

A few more bits turned up today, may have to go back to the racing steering on the main project as got ahold of another set! Slow progress will update a bit more just nitty wee bits for now.

E673D9A6-4181-4F1C-B5A9-5AD0DFC05E6D.jpeg

Front end sorted for now just the shocks to go on have used 6mm ball connectors to beef the steering up a bit although newish original plastic bits there will be a bit of slop as we know the TB-01’s are prone too, will be a fair bit of trial and error with the steering as high speed needs stability. So may have to try a few different set ups etc. 

4A92DE1E-EAE9-4354-9C83-FD9810D6FA45.jpeg

F81D6BBC-E589-4B63-B7B3-80FC0E009209.jpeg

Back with the alloy shock towers for now waiting on a few more bits to turn up then can hopefully make a bit more progress. This is how it stands for now. 

CF40059C-26B4-4B5C-8D47-8F8D6EB52FE3.jpeg

• Like 1

Stabiliser set on now messing about with the gear ratios, have a separate thread on this. Going to try the brushed set up first with the BZ Motor/Hobbywing 1060 esc with non lipo battery as I don’t have a 0.4 pinion for the 88t spur I ordered. Only hassle with this chassis is gearbox out to change the spur. Also got round to fitting the servo today. Still waiting on the carbon prop shaft with steel splines but for now I’m itching to go hopefully can get a run sometime this week. 

32CD62D0-81E8-40B1-B0C5-5BF1595CC1B2.jpeg