Sign in to follow this  
radek

Re-re Hotshot durability.

Long story short:

I’d appreciate hearing from owners of the re-re hotshot how they find the durability, weak points, what/if any durabilty related mods are a must and also how noisy/clanky the chassis is? As in the battery rattling in it’s compartment or excessive slop in suspension/wishbones?

Short story long:

My 5-year old has had a re-re lunchbox for two years now and went from not really in control to racing with me on the local astro turf rc track. Fully in control and getting good at it. While the lunchbox is fun and after some mods rather sturdy - it is what it is. The rearward and high cog won't really allow bridging jumps or keeping some cornerspeed on a track. Just not it’s thing. So looking for the next car.

Alternative 1 is getting him the same one I use. A competitive 2wd buggy. Both cars would share spare parts and he could grow with it. Downside being that he still likes to bash his car around the house, in the sandbox or down a slide at the playground. A modern carpet/astro buggy with an open gearbox won’t survive that for long. And it’s important for me that ’his’ car is his to do or play with however. A car that is his but one he can only use with supervision at the racetrack, is not something he will feel enough ownership of - and thus, hopefully, take care of.

Alternative 2 is getting him a modern bashing car. Something from the traxxas arsenal perhaps. Looking at youtube videos they seem to to shrug off a serious beating and are capable enough for the racetrack. 

Alternative 3 is a re-re hotshot currently on the shelf of a local rc store - with a 15% discount. Loved the looks since I was a kid and it’s a 4wd which makes it easier to drive than a high powered 2wd. Also I’d much prefer him racing something as classy as that over just another traxxas short course truck. However, don’t want to buy him a delicate and high maintenance nostalgia queen. He is past driving full speed in to a curb but will it hold up for some jumping and tumbling? The lunchbox is simple and rugged but still takes a beating now and then. Landing on it’s roof broke off the body posts, (Aluminium replacements holding up fine), the front windshield area caved in a few times for the same reason, anti wheelie bar needed strenghtening not to damage the gearbox and servosaver has been replaced twice. Can I expect the hotshot to survive a simillar beating despite it’s more complicated nature or should I look elsewhere?

On a side note. One thing that always bothered me about the Lunchbox is that if driven offroad it sounds like half the parts are loose. Battery rattling about in it’s compartment, gearbox slamming around it’s simple pivots and the hard plastic shell amplifying all sounds like some acoustic instrument of noise. Really not a showstopper and perhaps part of it’s charm but makes me cringe. Is the hotshot anything like this?

Best
Radek J

My re-re hotshot experience:

1. Hotshot is not a rattlebox. It's much more sophisticated than the lunchbox, gearbox is firmly attached to the chassis and has independent suspension all round. If you use square LiPos they are a good fit into the battery compartment.

2. Transmission is robust. I have a 6.5T 4000Kv brushless system in mine.

3. I've fitted a vintage supershot suspension kit to my hotshot, but these are pretty much impossible to find now, so consider buying a supershot re-re instead, it's worth the extra to get the 4 shock suspension.

4. Although I've not broken anything on mine in 13 years of owning it, known weak points are the front bumper, and front uprights. It is a robust model (With the ABS rollcage), but if you somersault it off a high jump there's the possibility you'll knock the corners off it. If you want 'traxxas tough' then the hotshot is not for you.

• Like 1

Umm, get him both? My 7yo got his first buggy at 2 1/2 and now races with me. I bought him the same as my cars (HB D413 and Ae B6D) as sharing parts etc makes life easier and those race kits are super durable so can handle any abuse. Except hitting trampoline legs.

We also have a bunch of rere buggies and they get used a lot at home, the race cars are too fast for backyard racing. 

Don't have a Hotshot but have a Boomerang and its been pretty bulletproof, nothing has broken other than the shell has a few cracks, and that was hitting jumps wrong with a 13.5T brushless in it. Its seen a bit of track time and performed pretty well given the age of them. Now it has a silvercan and an easy life.

• Like 1

Guys, many thanks! Gave me a good idea on what I'll be dealing with. Hotshot it is then (I'm fine with the worse handling monoshocks).

Jonathan: I can only justify one new car for him now. Dad needs a new motorbike as well :)

Madinventor: Good to hear the transmission can take a beating. I will be moving over the 13.5 combo from the lunchbox to start with, but the headroom is nice to have for future upgrades.

• Like 1

My 2 cents...

The Re-Re Hotshot is very durable, however not the most nimble vehicle to control.  If the main use of the vehicle will be for an astro turf track, I would recommend buying a used carpet buggy.  The dedicated racers are always selling off their "last year model" cars which you can pick up very inexpensively.

I own a re re hotshot and my problem with it is the front mono shock,when i hit bumps the steering knuckle gives way and the drive shaft falls out.

I have a re re hotshot - had it for about 10 yrs. Things I've broken  -

the 2 carbon fibre (I think) front sway bar holders/guides. Replaced with aluminium ones. Had these for about 9 years now. They get bent sometimes but are relatively easy to bend back into shape. No further issues. 

The front steering knuckles. To be fair, I've got a 4000kv brushless in mine and was running it at full chat around a demolishon site and didn't see the short, yet very tough bolt sticking out of the concrete. Ouch. Also ripped off the front side of the gearbox housing too...steering knuckles now aluminium and no issues 

Front bumper. Knackered a couple of these in 'cartwheels of death'. Lesson learned.

Erm...I think that's it. It doesn't jump very well as you get next to no front loading on the front monoshock on the jump approach, so it doesn't tend to jump flat, more with its bum in the air.

It is tough, but there are limits. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

It doesn't jump very well as you get next to no front loading on the front monoshock on the jump approach, so it doesn't tend to jump flat, more with its bum in the air.

Thanks again Guys. Bumper and steering knuckles...

Silver-can, I suspected this looking at the chassis layout and weight distribution. I'm sure it made sense back in the days but so did motorplacement behind the rear axle. 

• Like 1

Yeah, to say that the front end is soft would be an understatement! If you're gonna race on a proper astro track it might be worth looking into the super hotshot front suspension setup. Otherwise, I fear trying to race on a modern track with the kit setup will end up being an exercise in frustration and futility 😪😭