Sign in to follow this  
dougan1963

Tiger 1 v Jagdpanther?

As title, any reason the Tiger 1 is £150 cheaper than the Jagdpanther, when the Tiger has a rotating turret which means it is more complex/expensive to manufacture.

Tiger is an older model - the newer models tend to be more expensive or maybe the seller has got a good deal from Tamiya on some excess stock ?

Yes the internals are pretty much the same. The JP suffers with a visible 'join' at the front of the hull where the top and bottom meet. Can be sorted easily enough though. Having built both I would opt for the Tiger if I was doing another. In fact I've built 2 tigers and 1 JP. Also personally I'm not a huge fan of the metal barrels. They are beautiful but the elevation units were designed for plastic so I find the heavier barrels bounce a bit and stress the unit. But That may just be me.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nick G said:

Yes the internals are pretty much the same. The JP suffers with a visible 'join' at the front of the hull where the top and bottom meet. Can be sorted easily enough though. Having built both I would opt for the Tiger if I was doing another. In fact I've built 2 tigers and 1 JP. Also personally I'm not a huge fan of the metal barrels. They are beautiful but the elevation units were designed for plastic so I find the heavier barrels bounce a bit and stress the unit. But That may just be me.

I've had a similar experience. The barrel on my JP bounced up and down a lot, although I diagnosed mine as the plastic barrel mount flexing and so I machined one out of aluminium which helped a lot. Even though the turret does not move on the JP the gun can still elevate and swivel left and right within the hull, so the complexity inside the hull is pretty much the same. The JP can also have ballraced roadwheels, which the Tig I doesn't have. Out of the 2, I'd probably go for the Tig I, but if it was me I'd go for the panther with the rotating turret, it's just a better looking tank than the Tiger I.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree about the Panther, but finding it difficult and expensive to get hold of one.

I can get the Tiger 1 full option for just over £500.

A lot of them are discontinued - get what you can now as a lot of them won’t be coming back for sale according to my friend in Germany.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Ad Lav said:

A lot of them are discontinued - get what you can now as a lot of them won’t be coming back for sale according to my friend in Germany.

The Tiger is £500 from Germany, the cheapest in the UK seems to be £600!

Or a built one with a radio needing re painting for less still ;)

f69f23d9901517723ba4068a77bc001f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ad Lav said:

dang tanks are hard to find right now

10 hours ago, Ad Lav said:

Or a built one with a radio needing re painting for less still ;)

f69f23d9901517723ba4068a77bc001f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely looking Tiger, don't temp me!

Still would like to make one as a winter project, sorry!