toyolien

M-07 Motor Issue. Brushless won't fit!

I was about to start a build thread last night on my m07 but quickly came upon an issue. None of the 3 brushless motors I have tried will fit. The motor wire tabs foul on the chassis before the motor gets to the motor plate. A quick Google reveals that it's a known problem. 

Anyone had the same issue? And how did you solve it. 1) used a brushed motor. 2) cut the chassis. 3) find a brushless motor that will fit.

I'm using a Hobbywing esc and was maybe thinking about getting a Tamiya 10.5t told motor and just soldering the motor wires direct. Any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

I used a Speed Passion motor in mine which has rear-mounted connections like the Tamiya motors, with integral bullets.

Another solution is to fit a spacer plate between the motor and the motor mount, and use longer motor bolts. This will move the motor outwards a bit, and also enhance cooling. You  could use Tamiya 54129, or aftermarket ones available in various thicknesses. Here is a Yeah Racing example:

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-aluminum-540-motor-spacer-heatsink-1mm-x-3pcs-black-ya-0463bk-00065393

• Thanks 1

Personally I've always used brushed motors in the M-07, sealed can brushed motors are just the right amount of performance for these cars, and they are no bother to maintain (run em till they die and then bin them).

• Haha 1

a little dremel work allowed me to fit my quicrun 21.5 into the car.  wasn't too bad and I didn't feel like a compromised anything

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I did wonder about a motor spacer but the pinion is almost at the end of the motor shift already so not sure that would work.

10 hours ago, toyolien said:

I was about to start a build thread last night on my m07 but quickly came upon an issue. None of the 3 brushless motors I have tried will fit. The motor wire tabs foul on the chassis before the motor gets to the motor plate. A quick Google reveals that it's a known problem. 

Anyone had the same issue? And how did you solve it. 1) used a brushed motor. 2) cut the chassis. 3) find a brushless motor that will fit.

I'm using a Hobbywing esc and was maybe thinking about getting a Tamiya 10.5t told motor and just soldering the motor wires direct. Any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

If you are using 10bl60  think you can go down to 8.5t. I have use a 10.5t (passion speed motor) and that is plenty,. 

Having looked at this issue again, I think I'm just going to order a Tamiya TBLM-02s 15.5t motor to got with my Hobbywing Justock esc.

I assume they'll both work together ok???

I did that when I ran that motor in my M06 last year for Tamiya Championship Series race. Really easy to unsolder them. 

The Tamiya 15.5T is a solid motor, I’ve always been happy with the performance, have them in several models and it fits all Tamiya cars. I’ve had the same issue in many Tamiya chassis with the top based tabs.