Busdriver

M551 Sheridan US airborne tank

I bought the full option Sheridan a while ago. Planned it as a Winter build. Seeing as it’s the 1/10/20?I thought I’d start. So opened the box5E8E63D7-6205-4DF3-8F07-870A29063B66.jpeg.abda63ab411e0eecf94c326487c530c5.jpeg

read the instructions a couple of times then panicked 🤪 anyway that’s enough for day 1. More to follow over the next few weeks. Will use my camera for the build not an iPhone so at least the pictures will be the right way round!!!!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Been looking forward to this for a while when you posted a few weeks ago it had arrived.

me too! 

There is a lot to do regards painting on these. a lot of stop and starting. its makes the build last.

1 hour ago, Gazzalene said:

There is a lot to do regards painting on these. a lot of stop and starting. its makes the build last.

Yes I think your right. I'm going to do a a spray day and do all the large components together then the rest bit by bit. Its a shame for the price Mr T didnt include black rubber tires for the road wheels. Going to be a pain to paint and the paint will wear off.

10 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Going to be a pain to paint and the paint will wear off.

Are they a plastic that will take being dyed black and then the centres painted green?

Not sure I’ll have a look later. Not sure what will and what won’t take dye?

Just checked the box and the wheels are PS as is most of the kit. Truly a radio controlled plastic model just like the old days. I’ve made the Tamiya 1/24 scale one  and this one looks as if it’s  the little one scaled up. Really good detail. The finish is so good I’m considering not painting it at all, apart from the chassis and barrel as they are aluminium ? Might give a bit of a dirt was when it’s finished?

Tamiya's tanks are getting hard to find

and what's with the tank? is it like driving a bus?

you can start your build, i believe there's enough popcorn here for several months, plus the machine is on standby for fresher batches.

19 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Been looking forward to this for a while when you posted a few weeks ago it had arrived.

It was 20th May!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ACCEL said:

Tamiya's tanks are getting hard to find

and what's with the tank? is it like driving a bus?

you can start your build, i believe there's enough popcorn here for several months, plus the machine is on standby for fresher batches.

Hopefully better to drive than some of our buses!!! I’ve always had a fascination with tracked vehicles. It’s the fact that the track actually doesn’t move. I remember at school doing an experiment marking the side of a track and moving a toy tank forward. You have plenty of popcorn I hope I have enough vodka!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i've been looking but i'll just have to wait, i like the Sherman but if i'm reading it correctly it's RTR/ARTR or something, i'd rather build the oversized Armadillo myself.

it's like the Big Rigs these type of builds are very time consuming, which is fine and all, and then do i use those coins for the tank or several other builds:o

bath time in Sheridan land. All the PS sprues in the bath with some detergent to get rid of any release agents.

IMG_2128.JPG.673b0a75d2a2680f4b79ae5457dc7c59.JPG

Also the Aluminium tub and barrel which is a thing of beauty in its own right:P

IMG_2129.JPG.c713e944d7c4e4b866e357c55decf5d5.JPG

• Like 3

Deep breath here we go. Added fake shock absorbers, suspension mounts. Very fiddly but after fitting one side the wrong way round started again and got it all done

IMG_2131.JPG.6c3b0505fdc2f3879e0645bbd3207cd3.JPG

IMG_2132.JPG.177b37bfd566b75520be108b303dc3e9.JPGIMG_2133.JPG.3f3fbe9ef5e5729298eedb4c930cd4f1.JPGIMG_2134.JPG.697d6bb73f6fbb50b5487eb27198522c.JPGIMG_2135.JPG.04c5739c46851966bdd92a3fc25a2a31.JPG

Also fitted the front panel, then on to the idler wheels. As with the suspension mounts I am using sealed bearings throughout ( apart from the gearboxes as Colin from RC bearings could not match the brass bushings) My first hitch....

IMG_2136.JPG.05403156e4fd8812a76df1dd49300cb3.JPG

I am presuming that the two halves of the idler wheels are glued together sandwiching the bearing permanantly? I am used to seeing a little glue pot symbol but none appear in this kit

The actual parts look like this

IMG_2138.JPG.c1eccadec2ba0a79985d7b4a40cb114e.JPGIMG_2139.JPG.38ee459f2937dc1afe073eb8b741722f.JPG

They would not hold together without glue!!!

IMG_2137.JPG

• Like 2

wow, so many parts to do, I'll try to never complain about my buggy suspension again..... :lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

wow, so many parts to do, I'll try to never complain about my buggy suspension again..... :lol:

Thats just the mounts!!!! Theres more:mellow:

1 minute ago, Busdriver said:

Thats just the mounts!!!! Theres more:mellow:

:o

more popcorn needed.....

• Haha 1

They are individual springs for each road wheel. Each axle has a slot in the end which engages with the spring. When I get to that part I’ll try and take some better shots to show you how they work. A bit like a circular torsion bar

Edited by Busdriver
  • Like 1

yes ACCEL needs to know these things,

i watch and learn with great anticipation, these tanks fascinate me almost as much as submarines.

seeing all these parts reminds me of my trains.

keep on this or i will go and take my popcorn with me:lol:

what kinda irritates me is too much butter on my hands, makes it hard to tipe, i mean type