Sign in to follow this  
Tamps

Gearing Ratio Help - Standard

Okay guys... I know I can rely on you for some support here. I need some help on which spur gear and pinion to use. 

So, my lunchbox seems to run so so well, no problems there. However, I also have DF03 and DF03ra, and it's with these two that I need the help... Both are second hand, and I've stripped them down to the last screw for a thorough clean and refurb... Came across a few issues, which I've enjoyed trying to resolve, such as the previous owner adding 2 thrust bearings to one diff joint, which obviously when tightened compacted and crushed  the d5 t part, nightmare to try and dig this out! 

So, the plan is for me and my two sons (8 and 4) to go bashing on grass, tarmac car parks and flat dirt roads... Ill use the LB, 8 year old will be in control of the df03 and the 4 year old the df03ra. So we don't need anything super fast, just fun, and controllable! 

I only want to use the equipment and components I currently have... Nothing new, and get the best set up. The df03 can be the better of the two, to be fair, my eldest lad is probably nearly as capable as I am! 

Both cars have standard stock wheels and tyres. 

This is what I have:

1 x stock silver can, 1 x sport tuned black can. 

Spur gears 3 x 82T, 2 x 78T, 1 x 75T.

Pinion 26, 25, 29, 32.

Slipper clutch x 2.

Hobbywing 1060 esc, tamiya 105bk esc. 

Alturn AAS-700std servo, tamiya tsu-03 servo. 

Running 7.2 3000 NiMH

Hope you can help with the best set up using what I currently have, it's all really confused me to be honest. 

Thanks in advance guys... Hope you all have a good weekend. 

The gear ratios for the DF03ra are in the manual step 5.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/df03ra.pdf

You have both standard pinions, and both standard spurs. The ratios with these go from 7.161 to 8.218. I can't see the kit motor particularly struggling whatever you choose from these.

As far as I can tell from the DF03 manual the internal ratio looks the same as the DF03ra, but with a different pinion/spur ratio of 26/78 which is probably to allow for the larger wheels.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use either of your motors with the stock gearing.

EDIT: The internal gear ratio for both cars is 3.055**. So for the DF03, (78/26) x 3.055 = a final drive ratio of 9.165.

** (55/22) x (22/18) = 2.5 x 1.222 = 3.055