Sign in to follow this  
FC5687

DB01 RRR vs DB02

3 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

check ebay there are a few db02  54336 slipper clutches from usa, hk, and uk. 

Thanks for the info , found it

On 10/5/2020 at 9:29 PM, Howards said:

The outdrives are metal but the actual assembly is plastic, no? so get it hot enough and you won't melt the outdrives but you will melt the retainer inside the cog. The issue with the DB01 isn't so much the plastic outdrive, it's people not building the diffs right then running hot motors through them without the double or single slipper and it melts everything. 

On the 502 owners thread there are people who replace them with the TB04 gear diff.

No balldiff is perfect, but the 502 gear is the only part that’s plastic, and it’s carbon reinforced plastic, much harder and more durable than the white plastic units supplied with the Stock DB01. With the DB02 they just dropped the 502 diff in unchanged, they didn’t try to make a cheaper version.  For a basher a gear diff would be more durable no question of that. I’m wondering how much material needs to come out of the cases to make the TB04 gear work. 

Hmm, that TB04 gear diff change looks promising. Need to browse that trf502 thread.

Btw, suddenly i have an idea. What if i change DB02 4wd to 2wd? I can make it rear drive or front drive, plug that tb04 gear diff and its done.

The pros ( i think) : easy maintenance, less spareparts to stock ( if something is broken)

The cons : i heard that 2wd is not easy as 4 wd to drive, less power & grip?

Any comments or suggestions?

24 minutes ago, Morinstal said:

Hmm, that TB04 gear diff change looks promising. Need to browse that trf502 thread.

Btw, suddenly i have an idea. What if i change DB02 4wd to 2wd? I can make it rear drive or front drive, plug that tb04 gear diff and its done.

The pros ( i think) : easy maintenance, less spareparts to stock ( if something is broken)

The cons : i heard that 2wd is not easy as 4 wd to drive, less power & grip?

Any comments or suggestions?

I wouldn't try and run a 4wd buggy in 2wd.  A 2wd buggy can be challenging even when they are set up properly, but they can become undrivable if you get the setup wrong, and this sort of conversion from 4wd to 2wd will be all wrong, I doubt you would be able to get it to run nicely no matter what you tried.  Many years ago I used to take the driveshaft out of my Boomerang thinking that would even things up between my car and my friends Kyosho Outrage and it just became so hard to drive.  It was a shame, on low grip in 4wd mine was so much better, but change to 2wd and his was, we couldn't get it even.

A 4wd buggy is much easier to drive and can handle a lot more power, especially in low grip conditions.

If you're just bashing around a carpark or park then give it a go, but if you want a 2wd buggy then buy one (or 3).

• Like 1

@Jonathon Gillham Ur right, as it happen, i have a boomerang and (after reading ur post) remove the center shaft and test it. It become less controllable XD.

@Finnsllc Yep, ive ordered that, they said its between 2 weeks - 1 month eta.

Thanks for the advices.