Busdriver

Cheap stands

I'm sure this is probably some where else on the forum but thought I'd share it. Its good to keep our wheels off the ground so this is my cheap solution.

IMG_2130.JPG.b362e02363d6ec682bb449d6d4433f27.JPG

Other brands are available. Can be used this way or tuurn 90 degrees for longer chassis.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I've always wondered why nobody sells foam blocks or such at around 1 or 2 USD to use as RC car stands. It's an untapped market I tell ya.

The cheapest stands I find for this purpose are USD 20 plus excessively blingy pieces of aluminum bent to shape with a logo stamped on them.

Outrageous!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm actually using some ESC boxes as stands. HW ESC boxes are very well made and can withstand heavy kits.

• Like 3

I'm sure I've seen some rc-branded foam stands but can't remember what brand. However like most rc branded stuff, the price is jacked up so high you might as well buy aluminum. 

I use butter tubs for parts storage and in the workshop, but at the track I prefer the additional weight and stability of an aluminium stand. JConcepts makes a lean stand that can be painted in your race colours, and RConn now make one with a second lid that can be used for parts. Great if you want parts storage, pit stand and vanity colours :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

You can get foam blocks for flower arranging - easy to cut to size & lightweight, not too expensive either.

These cost nothing? apart from the spread a green alternative

54 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

I'm sure I've seen some rc-branded foam stands but can't remember what brand. However like most rc branded stuff, the price is jacked up so high you might as well buy aluminum. 

I use butter tubs for parts storage and in the workshop, but at the track I prefer the additional weight and stability of an aluminium stand. JConcepts makes a lean stand that can be painted in your race colours, and RConn now make one with a second lid that can be used for parts. Great if you want parts storage, pit stand and vanity colours :)

I use them for allsorts of things. I dont race so for the home shelf they're great. I use a proper stand for building and tinkering

Cheap stands are a must! 👍

I used to collect 1:43 scale cars, most of which come in small transparent plastic boxes. These are ideal for most 1:10 buggies: perfect size and height, and they are transparent so you can barely see them in the cabinet.

Here's an example, pardon the glare

20201003-143350.jpg

Another good option is the Tamiya PS colour cans! The caps are just high enough for most buggies (and therefore any on-road car), for my monster truck I use the whole can+cap and it works great! And with the caps, you can pair the right colour to your car ones as a bonus :)

Many, many things can be successfully used as stands. It's good to use our creativity and not spend a dime on that: our hobby is draining enough as it is, and thinking about the money saved is a good motivation.

• Like 5

I 3D print mine. The one with a black top is has the first few layers as a flexible rubber type to give it some grip onto the car chassis.

20200516_165630.jpg

20200711_124726.jpg

• Like 8

I came across someone the other day that does a cheap polycarbonate one? Might be L&L?

51 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

20201003-143350.jpg

That looks stunning in the china cabinet. I bet the missus is quite pleased.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

That looks stunning in the china cabinet. I bet the missus is quite pleased.

She is, indeed :D 

The cabinet has 5 shelves, only two of which currently occupied by cars. I'm plotting on squeezing all those glasses together in order to get a third car in.. :ph34r:

5 hours ago, Ferruz said:

I used to collect 1:43 scale cars, most of which come in small transparent plastic boxes. These are ideal for most 1:10 buggies: perfect size and height, and they are transparent so you can barely see them in the cabinet.

Here's an example, pardon the glare

20201003-143350.jpg

Another good option is the Tamiya PS colour cans! The caps are just high enough for most buggies (and therefore any on-road car), for my monster truck I use the whole can+cap and it works great! And with the caps, you can pair the right colour to your car ones as a bonus :)

Many, many things can be successfully used as stands. It's good to use our creativity and not spend a dime on that: our hobby is draining enough as it is, and thinking about the money saved is a good motivation.

I love that JPS branded shell, reminds my of my first ever scalextric car which was a JPS F1, way back in the 70's.

• Thanks 1

I have a bunch of butter/sour cream/cottage cheese tubs that I saved up years ago to use as car stands. I always meant to paint them and make little decals showing the make, model, and year they came out. Never got around to it. Maybe someday...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

I love that JPS branded shell, reminds my of my first ever scalextric car which was a JPS F1, way back in the 70's.

Thank you. I'm very happy with how it came out, though this has prevented me from driving it so far... there's the restoration thread somewhere in the build section of the forum if you want to see more. It's a car from the '80s, but it screams '70s :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ferruz said:

I'd like to see them. I'm a diecast model collector myself. 1:18, 1:43 and 1:64. ;)

Here are some HW ESC boxes that are perfect as stands. I also used Turnigy Li-Po hard boxes for some.

OgZxZtul.jpg

3SEZiQsl.jpg

Then this one is very cheap. $10 each. Aluminum, adjustable height and can also be used for building/rebuilding shocks.

LINrMWwl.jpg

BqrxN5Ol.jpg

3lBPtdil.jpg

z6DjEDyl.jpg

• Like 1

I've used LiPo battery boxes, Hobbywing boxes, cut strips of perspex super glued them together to great effect, but if you can find him, maybe, just maybe you can hire @yogi-bear,

7AF3355C-A097-4DCB-809E-6966521A9DCC.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Cars on stands? I understand how important it is, but most of my regular runners live in the garage where function outweighs form, so they're all on blocks of polystyrene from various deliveries over the years. This is solely to prevent warped A arms, compressed shocks and flat-spotted tires.

There are a couple of exceptions: The MST CMX FJ Cruiser has one made from wood, and the Tamiya CC01 FJ40 which lives inside sits on one like @Nicadraus uses (which has atrocious build quality, sorry).

105395571_MSTCMX(ToyotaFJCruiser).jpg.4ac18efd9f08092556360a7f86b9e42c.jpg

All the other cars inside just rest on their wheels - the TT01 is on drift tires, and everything else that lives inside gets driven regularly, too.

However all of my boats are on stands - after buying stands on eBay and having to chop them to size I made the next one myself out of PVC pipe and pool noodle - very satisfying.

• Like 3

I sit mine on old tyres - they are matt black so unobtrusive, and would otherwise have gone into landfill.

• Like 1

With all these options, you’re really spoiling us.

But as most of my visitors are high level diplomats from the 1980s, I simply INSIST on the best.

Ferrero Rocher 8 piece boxes.

Hard to see in this image, but the lid is about half a chocolate from the top, so you can use the bottom half to get a height of around 2 inches.

RRp is around 4 quid. But it’s a discount retailers’ favourite so deals abound.

image.jpeg.741dd92add6cf1697072d15567744c75.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

@Bwaaatch I love the Ferrero Rocher idea mostly because I would have to buy half a dozen boxes then eat all the chocolates over a week of evenings so I can upgrade all my stands at once

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

I'd like to see them. I'm a diecast model collector myself. 1:18, 1:43 and 1:64. ;)

Nice ;) me too, actually. I said 1:43 just cause it's the main scale I used to collect, but I also have plenty of 1:24, 1:18 and now that I'm overseas even those evil 1:64 Hot Wheels that I just can't resist, ever (I'd still like somebody to show me a better way to spend 1.25 $). The main reason why I have a few is that I've rarely let one go (and I've loved cars since I was a toddler), in fact many of them were my childhood toys and survived many battles before ending up on a shelf. But I don't think I'll ever be able to resist the appeal of a scale car... Easier to resist the 1:1, simply because I can't afford them :D

I wouldn't wanna hijack the cheap stand thread, but would like to show you the cars and would like to see yours, too. Maybe we can start another thread... but for now here's a couple pics I just found of one of my favourite parts of my collection.

These cars are still in my old room at my parents' place in Italy, it is now a guestroom but, as I demanded, the cars all stayed! I took the pics last year when we last went to visit (it is enough to ensure their safety: the OCD part of me would notice ANYTHING missing or out of place even one or two years apart from the previous visit ;))

20190927-193804.jpg

20190927-193740.jpg

20190927-193654.jpg

The pictures require some historical facts about the brand, to better understand the quality and reason why I collected them.

These are 1:43 cars from the Italian brand Bburago, from the early '80s to early '00 when the brand was sadly sold to China, therefore ending a whole era pf made in Italy model cars. Pretty much every single person that grew up in Italy  between the '80s and '90s had at least one, because they were cheap as chips and tough as nails, with some amazing body detailing and decals as long as some bold production shortcuts, such as having the same hard plastic wheels (4 spokes first, early to mid '80s, 5 spokes later on) on all cars regardless of their type! This looks like a drawback at first, but gets you deeper into them in time...

I am very fond of the 1:43 Burago cars and have loved them forever. They appealed to the car enthusiast, the everyday kid and to the more serious collector too, but my favourite thing about them is that everybody could afford at least one, because they cost like a can of pop. Even a broke parent could buy one along with the newspaper (that's where they sold them) and make his kid happy and able play for a very long time. Affordable joy, which is one of the most beautiful things you can achieve with a mass produced toy. Entire generations are grateful to Bburago for that.

When I look at my Bburago collection, I see a nice memory of simpler, more genuine times when not everything was made in China and when it was possible for a small but intelligent brand to thrive at least in their own country. The export of these cars did also happen, by the way: in the previous years I've "rescued" plenty of 1:43 Burago from all over Europe, USA, Canada and even Australia. But in Italy, they were and probably still can be found in almost every household, kinda like Hot Wheels would be in the States I assume?

Oh, another thing I loved: Bburago didn't only reproduce the successful and more mainstream cars, they did plenty of underdogs too (especially in 1:24 scale) which I find delightful. A crappier, down-to-earth, home garage-prepped rally car can sometimes have more soul than a factory official all-star one, and I find it's exactly the case for model cars too.

Anyway enough of BBurago, I'm blabbering way too much and getting nostalgic again while stumbling down memory lane lol

Here's some more, still of my Italian shelves 

20190927-193858.jpg

20190927-193843.jpg

20190927-193925.jpg

Pics are what they are, for some reason I can't find any of the 1:64 that I have here and I'm out of town now, so next time.

I apologize guys for temporarily hijacking the thread, but at this point I'd love to see your collection too Nicadraus :)

• Like 6