Mechanic AH

I finally completed the TC-01 Formula E Gen2

*I apologize if this is the wrong area to please let me know (I think my entry doesn’t fit the build section rules, unfortunately).

I finally finished a TC-01 Formula E Gen2 kit. It took me longer than I expected. The build wasn’t bad at all and I enjoyed it but the body work is what took me some time to complete. And, to be honest, I typically get home late and have to take care of a few things before I can work on the hobby but ended up only working on the kit on weekends. I’m sure some of you are in the same situation. 

I realized after working lately on Kyosho kits that I miss hex screws and prefer it more over JIS and Phillips, at least for RC building. I never thought I’d say that. Anyway, the TC-01 originally wasn’t on my list but because it’s a new chassis I thought I’d try it out.

Aside from the body, everything is pretty straightforward and I just had to measure certain things to make sure I was using the right part (i.e., washer thickness, little shafts, etc.). I don’t have a lot of experience with on-road kits but I think this one is definitely low to the ground.

I kept almost every part stock since I don’t race (just a hobby). The only upgrade I did was replaced the metal bushings with metal hybrid bearings on the steering linkage since I already had spare ones. The components I used are:

Motor: Tamiya Tblm-02S 10.5T Brushless 
ESC: Tamiya Tble-03 Brushless
Servo: MKS Servo X5 HBL550LX
Battery: 5000mAh 7.2v NiMH
Receiver: KO Propo KR-241FH

As for the body, I like the black (PS-5) and bright gun metal (PS-63) Tamiya has specified. I ended up only picking some decals to use (mostly official technology and component sponsors like ABB, Spark, Michelin) because I prefer a prototype look and not much of a fan of the livery. Only did some slight modification to the paint style. I finally used some PS-23 (gun metal) as the final layer after the rest of the paint has been applied.

I did a test run and from the components I used (plus no upgrades/stock setup), I feel like the tires couldn’t handle the power—I might be wrong here. And since there’s no track in my area I was testing at the parking lot where there was a lot of fine concrete dust/powder due to a lot of construction in the area. I think that's what made it grip less. Aside from all that, I really enjoyed driving the kit and gaining the experience. If I were to practice with this kit frequently, I’ll fit it with a 15.5T motor until I get a hang of it.

I uploaded a test run video if you want to see:

The TC-01 Test Run video on Youtube

Now I'm curious what an F103/F104 is like to build and run. And here are some pictures before taking the car out and from the run. Thanks for looking! 

MechanicAfterHours-1020107.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1020162.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1020150.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1020154.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1020134.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-10201402.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1020119.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1020137.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1020187.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1020189.jpg

• Like 19

Beautiful build, love the body work, and really really loving the photography. Great work overall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those outdoor shots, the dust on the tyres - awesome!  Great work, you’ll have us all buying one!

• Haha 2

Neat and tidy job on that, those first few pictures (save for the aerial) look like a real car in a studio 'shoot!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GreatDane said:

@Mechanic AH Very nice looking car and great images. How did you connect the rear light?

I found these cheap red LEDs with Futaba/servo connectors and just took a gamble (see photo). The LED came with a plastic cup/housing below the LED light and it fits almost perfectly into the rear light bank/tray of the TC-01 (see diagram highlighted in magenta). The LED size and length fits well inside too. I had to cut one LED out and shorten/rewire it. The LED is connected to the battery channel/port of the receiver. I still haven't had the time to figure out a clean way to conceal the wire from the back to the front so I just looped it around the frame for now, and it's tucked underneath one of the rear dampers so it doesn't get tangled with moving parts. So far after a few runs the wire stayed in place.

IMG_9591.jpg

IMG_95912.jpg

Screen-Shot-2020-10-04-at-3.18.10-PM.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jupitertwo said:

Those outdoor shots, the dust on the tyres - awesome!  Great work, you’ll have us all buying one!

That made me laugh! I guess any Tamiya fan will need at least one TC-01 in their lifetime! But then that means trying every Tamiya chassis! I don't think that's financially possible. But I think the TC-01 is a must.  

30 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

I found these cheap red LEDs with Futaba/servo connectors and just took a gamble (see photo). The LED came with a plastic cup/housing below the LED light and it fits almost perfectly into the rear light bank/tray of the TC-01 (see diagram highlighted in magenta). The LED size and length fits well inside too. I had to cut one LED out and shorten/rewire it. The LED is connected to the battery channel/port of the receiver. I still haven't had the time to figure out a clean way to conceal the wire from the back to the front so I just looped it around the frame for now, and it's tucked underneath one of the rear dampers so it doesn't get tangled with moving parts. So far after a few runs the wire stayed in place.

IMG_9591.jpg

IMG_95912.jpg

Screen-Shot-2020-10-04-at-3.18.10-PM.jpg

I really am liking that. For a compact narrow chassis it looks very tidy and uncluttered, if that makes sense

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bikerclubby said:

Chassis looks amazing but the thought of trimming that body makes me queasy. 

Yup, the body on this looks mega involved. Not sure I’d have the patience, though that chassis design sure makes it tempting 🤨