@Ferruz here I created a thread to avoid hi-jacking. Haha!

When I retired (3rd retirement) from RC in 2007, I went to look for an alternative hobby. I've always wanted to collect cars so I did. With diecast models. I built and had a lot of 1:24 scale models but I just got really bored with them because of the limited details and lack of realism especially when shooting them. I've done many custom jobs with 1:18 and 1:43 diecast models and they are just so much better working with and they always end up looking more realistic than the fragile plastic ones.

Here are links to my Lamborghini and Toyota collection and some other toys.

Here - Lamborghini

and

Here - Toyota, Star Wars, etc

Although the pics and list isn't updated yet.

• Like 1

My goals is to collect each variant I have in three scales. 1:18, 1:43 and 1:64. Like these:

4489974342_1075850083_c.jpg

4490437820_f79daf9cd2_c.jpg

5341814877_bbf95df3c9_c.jpg

15077732857_aa71b3c392_c.jpg

4489972412_35675e3133_c.jpg

But some models are just either elusive or were not yet made in some scales.

I also like doing indoor and outdoor photo shooting with my friends.

16239447958_2f643f1303_c.jpg

48756969781_9a2cc87743_c.jpg

43971532381_59ef0c777f_c.jpg

20131897599_dd93544fd3_c.jpg

43065192691_6ceb13865e_c.jpg

49817322678_63d648bbed_c.jpg

Perspective shooting

9456908768_28c68f1764_c.jpg

8931466785_cb6a11f5e0_c.jpg

21779237305_6d7567c56a_c.jpg

5248329027_483797d697_c.jpg

I also created a diorama in 2009. Took me four straight months to finish. I fabricated most of the items.

9959426916_a3b8bc2813_c.jpg

9959509673_546c933871_c.jpg

• Like 9

Also some custom re-work. From stripping the entire model to every pice then modifying, rebuilding, repainting using urethane auto motive paints, wet sanding, buffing, polishing, lowering, doing the right camber and fitting with different wheels while they still rotate and steer.

49817322848_bd441d207c_c.jpg

14633274732_d7a43121c9_c.jpg

49818169517_c882ff85da_c.jpg

20682646115_12b36cf682_c.jpg

20061691063_014a7bd5e0_c.jpg

I also download photos of the real 1:1 cars and look for missing details on/in the model. Then I fabricate parts, paint them and install them.

4879718072_42de8395d8_c.jpg

4489286413_05c3fd0c41_c.jpg

• Like 8

Stunning!

Absolutely stunning, and I thought my 1:18 Autoart stuff was good! 

• Like 1

@Nicadraus Amazing skills and collection. Hats off, sir! :o

I particularly appreciate the DIY mods and adding details to the cars, I'm a fan of that too but don't have any pictures of such mods with me now. Anyway, this is definitely another level!! Loving the diorama too. Many of the cars just look like they are real. Great job 😀👍

• Like 2

this reminds me iv'e gotta get 3 huge storage boxs full of hotwheels cars out to get them sold (that ive been collecting over the past 20 years) 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, topforcein said:

this reminds me iv'e gotta get 3 huge storage boxs full of hotwheels cars out to get them sold (that ive been collecting over the past 20 years) 

I have my all original Hot wheels from  68' and on, you should keep a few of the hard to finds if possible, that's why i made a sad face.

i could always get a TV, a stereo, couch, appliances but my Hot Wheels, Smokey the Bear and my Catfish Hunter baseball mitt could never be replaced, they're the oldest and had the  longest toys that have been around since i can remember, then my Tonka's.

I have plenty of 1/24th and 1/18 metal collectables, ERTYL, Hot Wheels and a few others , for awhile i tried to sell some of those and gave quite a few away.

But what Nic did is phenomenal, very skilled in his details.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ACCEL said:

I have my all original Hot wheels from  68' and on, you should keep a few of the hard to finds if possible, that's why i made a sad face.

i could always get a TV, a stereo, couch, appliances but my Hot Wheels, Smokey the Bear and my Catfish Hunter baseball mitt could never be replaced, they're the oldest and had the  longest toys that have been around since i can remember, then my Tonka's.

I have plenty of 1/24th and 1/18 metal collectables, ERTYL, Hot Wheels and a few others , for awhile i tried to sell some of those and gave quite a few away.

But what Nic did is phenomenal, very skilled in his details.

oh i will keep a certain few and def the one that was on my 40th b-day cake ;)

but all the ones i have ae that ones i like very much so it might get very difficult to choose

• Like 1

@Nicadraus thanks for sharing. Beautiful work and collection! I’m not familiar or have any experience with diecast models. I’m assuming they come painted and assembled and then you take everything apart and repaint/modify them? How long on average does it take you to rebuild one? And I guess you use an airbrush to repaint? Is it a more expensive hobby than RCs? Sorry for the many questions. Quite curious. Been seeing them around and other people reworking very small scale ones. Thanks.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

@Nicadraus thanks for sharing. Beautiful work and collection! I’m not familiar or have any experience with diecast models. I’m assuming they come painted and assembled and then you take everything apart and repaint/modify them? How long on average does it take you to rebuild one? And I guess you use an airbrush to repaint? Is it a more expensive hobby than RCs? Sorry for the many questions. Quite curious. Been seeing them around and other people reworking very small scale ones. Thanks.

From stripping down to full custom work will depend on the scope of work. If it involves wheel swap and camber adjustments, lowering, while all wheels still rotate and stir, about 6-8 days in total. I use automotive urethane paint for all my painting. So painting process is just like the 1:1. Interior and engine detailing also takes a lot of time and patience.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

From stripping down to full custom work will depend on the scope of work. If it involves wheel swap and camber adjustments, lowering, while all wheels still rotate and stir, about 6-8 days in total. I use automotive urethane paint for all my painting. So painting process is just like the 1:1. Interior and engine detailing also takes a lot of time and patience.

Sounds quite interesting and something I would try and do but my biggest challenge has always been a place to paint. Thanks for the info!

I used to build plastic scale models when I was growing up. Learned from my dad (an avid modeler and RC enthusiast) and uncle (another hard core modeler). But the 1:24 plastic scale model cars just became too boring for me as it's too limited, fragile, small and realism is hard to achieve as compared to 1:18 counterparts with full opening functions. I have yet to see pictures of 1:24 can that can pass as real cars in photography without using software enhancements like Photoshop. 

I'd like to share this one...

The model before. 1:18 AUTOart Toyota Corolla WRC car.

KGnE2v7h.jpg

f9BulV8h.jpg

From carefully disassembling and stripping down to avoid breaking parts especially the windshields, headlights, tail lights, and other fragile parts.

LP7vdVGh.jpg

Sanded the body and applied steel epoxy putty on the holes that should be covered.

skXppSCh.jpg

ehB2pjOh.jpg

Fabricated side skirts using mobile pre-paid cards.

JRMS1zNh.jpg

ZPIRcKeh.jpg

iSt1S89h.jpg

Also used the same material to modify the rear spoiler

c3GwXtFh.jpg

XZvKLFgh.jpg

Pqn9605h.jpg

Fabricated side molding

rAdO6x9h.jpg

Prepped for painting...

QPHbYVzh.jpg

rkFyC4Ph.jpg

Base primer (white)

yVQZ7duh.jpg

Base paint (Verde ithaca) - I personally mixed this color. Same shade originally used by Lamborghini

VS3Bom2h.jpg

W1zCUT0h.jpg

YaDqOOqh.jpg

After top clear coat, masked the body for flat black painting

4Ml9w1Ph.jpg

After wet sanding and three-step buffing...

lX8zs2Mh.jpg

E6Dz6bNh.jpg

Headlights, grill, signal lights, engine modified and detailed...

p9TwsKCh.jpg

EBhgfath.jpg

Interior modification and detailing: Replaced stock seats and fabricated ribbon style seatbelts. Installed photo-etched metal buckles, foot pedals, boost box, etc

f3GSgwKh.jpg

lnC5g2Nh.jpg

nZJ2Xgph.jpg

ZmuH3oGh.jpg

IiTlR63h.jpg

Removed the spare tire and fabricated a board and wrapped in carbon fiber decal

QWqSu8Mh.jpg

Replaced Speed line wheels with BBS CHR wheels. Lowered with minor negative camber in the rear. All wheels are fully functional and steering still works.

n2r03UIh.jpg

2cfxEleh.jpg

Another one in white version WRC plain body with modification

EforRe0h.jpg

2Fx3qfmh.jpg

Pp67tY5h.jpg

After painting and wet sanding, prepped for buffing

YK0wkzvh.jpg

tKpKxXRh.jpg

MXX1P7Uh.jpg

2LaAjxNh.jpg

MVuJ0Ayh.jpg

tBcw7VCh.jpg

E0l3F5rh.jpg

49817859586_2389d72c48_c.jpg

49817859686_afd950e981_c.jpg

49817323373_cbbc52e0dd_c.jpg

t4l34Wuh.jpg

49817859476_55f8bc0e4a_c.jpg

• Like 7

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 

Before:

rcFqzyqh.jpg

lHmoXryh.jpg

Stripped down

ipj60DBh.jpg

Primer...

zlcjIy5h.jpg

Mixed the base color

GG4xkw5h.jpg

Base color - 5 coats

8a6Zg3Kh.jpg

6BpTJSoh.jpg

Top clear coated - 5 coats

DAFgstwh.jpg

F1qso3lh.jpg

ziQWHCXh.jpg

After wet sanding, buffing, detailing...

UJ4UN77h.jpg

9FX7EAVh.jpg

Wrapped carbon fiber decal on the spoiler wing's deck

fI4Uvvwh.jpg

OE0tWs4h.jpg

K0oqZwAh.jpg

Wheel replacement - TE37 18" with big disc brake and photo etched metal rotors

TlcP4Oeh.jpg

3T6q3XUh.jpg

om5rqYHh.jpg

Applied decals and top coated to glossy finish

N0Z5D4ch.jpg

fCJQTT0h.jpg

Lowered, camber set. All wheels rotate and steer

Finished...

RabobC1h.jpg

obxI6cXh.jpg

D45MHQZh.jpg

Sk9rHkmh.jpg

JcKAZhYh.jpg

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

RabobC1h.jpg

that looks beautiful i love the wheels  where you get them from plus the stickers

I have had this one on the back burner for a few years as the spoiler is missing

What would you surest fir a replacement

IMG_20201011_154501.jpg

IMG_20201011_154618.jpg

• Like 2

Here is my die cast loft find Ferrari.. 308 GT it says on the bottom, but to me it’ll always be the red car which did jumps repeatedly into a pile of bricks (grew up on a building site with dads self build). I had this since probably since late 70’s early 80’s. The err.. detailed engine is still in place and if you look closely there is what could have been chocolate squished into the storage space under the hood. It has now been passed on to my 4 year old who will no doubt care for it in the same way I did.

I have pretty much no interest (or knowledge) in real cars, but could totally get into making scale models, especially if any turned out like that blue lancer, absolute top job there, looks awesome. I’d be happy just to have completed one of those wheels and have that on the shelf!

D06E148A-EF46-4D5E-AE84-13B74DBA8DF8.jpeg

3C8A559A-0345-46FD-B4A3-2CC36CF395F6.jpeg

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 6:02 PM, Nicadraus said:

@Ferruz here I created a thread to avoid hi-jacking. Haha!

When I retired (3rd retirement) from RC in 2007, I went to look for an alternative hobby. I've always wanted to collect cars so I did. With diecast models. I built and had a lot of 1:24 scale models but I just got really bored with them because of the limited details and lack of realism especially when shooting them. I've done many custom jobs with 1:18 and 1:43 diecast models and they are just so much better working with and they always end up looking more realistic than the fragile plastic ones.

Here are links to my Lamborghini and Toyota collection and some other toys.

Here - Lamborghini

and

Here - Toyota, Star Wars, etc

Although the pics and list isn't updated yet.

nice photos, i have seen a lot of your Lamborghini photos on the interenet when searching around. i also collect 1:18 models, although havent bought much in the last 2 years. currently i have about 365 in total.

11 hours ago, Alexei said:

nice photos, i have seen a lot of your Lamborghini photos on the interenet when searching around. i also collect 1:18 models, although havent bought much in the last 2 years. currently i have about 365 in total.

Wow! That's a lot. I haven't been buying too. Last addition was just two 1:43s this year and the the last 1:18 was last year. Since I came back to the RC hobby, I have slowed down on models. 

13 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

i have about 365 in total

That's quite the regiment, that would be like a One A Day Vitamin for everyday of a whole year:D

18 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Wow! That's a lot. I haven't been buying too. Last addition was just two 1:43s this year and the the last 1:18 was last year. Since I came back to the RC hobby, I have slowed down on models. 

they do take up a good chunk of space, but i have 4 Ikea Billy shelves with a glass doors where they are all on display. i could use one more shelf as space is getting a little tight. i bought just one model this year, an AUTOart 1:18 Porsche 991 GT3 RS in purple. didnt buy anything in 2019. prices on new stuff has just skyrocketed and keeps going up. i dont think i will buy much with these high prices, only the models i like the absolutely most.

AUTOart has an 1:18 Lamborghini Diablo SE30 announced, that is one i have wanted for a long time, and will most likely buy.

4 hours ago, ACCEL said:

That's quite the regiment, that would be like a One A Day Vitamin for everyday of a whole year:D

started collecting in 2004, so the collection has been growing for a long time now. sometimes i take a model or two out and look at while eating dinner :) 

• Like 1