GooneyBird

Everybody's got something to hide, except for me and my teeny tiny little Monkey!

*sound of John Lennon rolling in his grave.

A while back I told you guys I was looking for something else, a new challenge. And with this whole corona-thing I couldn't really go to any track anyway (something about being labeled a Essential Worker in healthcare, even though all I do is make computers go beep-boop) I decided to do something I hadn't done in years, while still staying true to Tamiya. 

I bought a plastic model kit!

1/12 Honda Monkey 125 # tamiya 14134

Yes, the venerable Honda Monkey! I've ridden one in real-life, and fell in love with it. They're a bit expensive still, being quite new, but once they drop in value a bit on the second-hand market I'd love to get one as a town runabout. Mount a giant basket to the rear and go grocery shopping with it. It'd probably fit down the aisles! :D

IMG-20200916-094512811-1

Anyway, I haven't taken many pictures during the build, as I was doing things out of order to make painting a little easier, but here's a couple.

IMG-20200919-203039031

That moment when your model is in that post-modern art phase. 

IMG-20200919-203048948

And after about a month of building a couple of hours on the evenings...

IMG-20201004-111752755

... we have a Banana Yellow Honda Monkey!

IMG-20201004-112228655

It was nice building a plastic model kit again. The fumes, the teeny tiny parts, the perfect fit and finish Tamiya gives their kits. 

IMG-20201004-112247164

Tamiya has moved on to giving clear parts a clip-in construction. As you might know plastic model glue fogs clear plastic, and this way it's not needed for the head and taillight, making sure they're crystal clear. The turn indicators are still glued on, but glueing them with wood glue makes sure they stay clear.

The rear spring is an actual metal spring. I primed it using regular metal primer, and painted it yellow along with the rest of the frame and tank-parts. Regardless it's a slightly different hue from the rest. Ah well.. 

IMG-20201004-112306638

It was very nice of Tamiya to include rubber tubing (it looks like tiny shrink wrap?) to simulate brake hoses and throttle cables. As on the real bike it all sorta packs together under the tank. Getting the tank to sit straight was.... a challenge. I can imagine the real bike being a little easier in that regard. 

IMG-20201004-112323621

So how small is it? Well, this is Link, our 6 month-old kitten. He's not very large. (And rather fuzzy) My Monkey is considerably smaller than him. And no worries, 0 destruction happened after I took this picture. He's (mostly) a well-behaved cat. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

A Monkey Bike. Had my first ever fall off one of those!! The model looks fantastic as well

Is that a Tamiya model cat next to it???  Looks so realistic!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Motorcycle isn't something I build, so I only built 2-3 of them.  But that monkey has been on my list since I heard about it last year. 

Thank you for the review. I'll have to get one myself one of these days. 

You've made a lovely job of that. It looks fantastic.

I can't wait to see you on a real one. Your knees will be up around your ears. Heh heh!

Great bike in a great colour choice, it really suits 👍🏻

Feel free to park a photo in the Static Kit Thread 😉

On 10/5/2020 at 11:39 PM, Juggular said:

Motorcycle isn't something I build, so I only built 2-3 of them.  But that monkey has been on my list since I heard about it last year. 

Thank you for the review. I'll have to get one myself one of these days. 

Oh, it's great. It's my first motorcycle I've built, and the first model kit in at leat 5 years, so if I can build it to a reasonable standard so can you. 

On 10/6/2020 at 5:24 AM, Fuijo said:

You've made a lovely job of that. It looks fantastic.

I can't wait to see you on a real one. Your knees will be up around your ears. Heh heh!

The new 125cc Monkeys are surprisingly roomy! The seating position on them isn't that much different from, say, my wife's CBF. They're tiny bikes, but surprisingly roomy for what they are. 

The Modelling News: Build Review Pt I: Tamiya's 1/12th scale Honda Monkey  125

• Thanks 1

You can't fool me with your 1/10th scale midgets. :)

I love the big tamiya bikes. Years ago I did the Yamaha 1200 gold I think it was called.  Like everything scale tamiya it was a joy to build. Waiting for a really wet day, my Sheridan being my current wet day project, is this

B1CF3157-0672-4A50-AB9B-498FD8B9A109.jpeg.b35e2ac76426d35c9362e69340147466.jpeg