Mechanic AH

Top 3: your most reliable + durable Tamiya off-road buggy chassis? And least (to avoid)?

I don't have enough experience with Tamiya kits as most people do here and I've been researching on an off-road buggy chassis that would be the ideal all around performer (whether I can build/upgrade to semi-track worthy or just perform as the ultimate reliable everyday performance basher). Although I've been looking outside of Tamiya, I'd like to at least have one Tamiya that fits the criteria. So I have a number questions for those who have gone thru many kits...

What are your top 3 based on reliability and durability?

What are your top 3 based on chassis driving dynamics, performance, potential?

What are your top 3 when it comes to value (a chassis/kit overlooked maybe because of it's low price but has good performance/potential)?

What are your top 3 when it comes to cheap upkeep and affordable parts?

What are your favorite top 3 kits/chassis?

What are your top 3 off-road buggy chassis to avoid?

What are your top 3 off-road buggy overhyped chassis/kits?

Sorry for the long list of questions! But I think it will also be interesting to see the results. Thanks and looking forward to read everyone's input.

• Like 1

Many years ago I refined my collection to just two chassis types - thundershot and avante plus their derivatives. It meant buying and stockpiling parts was simpler, cheaper and easier. You can run a large fleet of similar chassis buggies for alot less cost than trying to support a myriad of chassis. I use and abuse my RC cars, I have no interest in shelf queens. So I'm not the best person to answer this but here goes:

1. Mad Bull
2. Sand Scorcher
3. Thundershot

1. Avante2001
2. Egress
3. Terra Scorcher

What are your top 3 when it comes to value (a chassis/kit overlooked maybe because of it's low price but has good performance/potential)?
1. Thundershot
2. Thundershot
3. Thundershot

1.  Hornet/Grasshopper
2. Mad Bull
3. Thundershot

1. Sand Scorcher SRB
2. Avante 2001
3. Blackfoot/Monster beetle

1. Avante '88
2. Avante 2011
3. anything with avante in the name other than Avante 2001 ;-)

1. Avante '88
2. Vanquish
3. BigWig

• Like 2

No Tamiya will handle 6S and jumping over houses, but I find the Boomerang and (gasp!) TT02B to be reliable.  I know I always go on about how the TT02 cars are, ahem, not great, if you put in the DF02 rear diff then they are actually pretty bulletproof.  Unless you hit trampoline legs, so don't do that.  Both of these cars have done time with a 13.5T brushless set up and show no signs of wear and tear, other than the usual body cracks and from big crashes that would damage anything.  The Boomerang understeers a lot though, I wouldn't recommend a shot based car for out and out performance.

I really rate the Top Force for performance.  Get the High Speed Gearset and you can gear for higher turn brushless motors too, and they look amazing.  The DB01 based buggies are probably the way to go, although parts supply could be a problem.

Given how good the Top Force is, the MantaRay is probably the best value Tamiya buggy.  BUT a second hand race kit from another manufacturer is the best bang for buck.  I got an Ae B6D for NZ$250 with both the dirt and carpet parts, in mint condition and it will outperform just about anything Tamiya and is pretty bulletproof.

My favourite - Top Force, Monster Beetle and Boomerang.  The Super Astute just misses out, mostly because its really expensive.

I haven't come across one that I would avoid, but you need to be aware of the ORV gearbox issues if you buy one.  It is an easy fix with the MIP ball diff, but a pricey addition if you didn't know you need it.

I don't think many are overhyped, but from what I've heard the Avante based buggies are.  They sure are expensive which is why I doubt I'll ever know.

• Like 3

From my somewhat limited perspective.. the answers are subjective to the kind of driving intended.  But assuming that each model is driven in it's intended environment:

1. Grasshopper
2.Super Blackfoot
3.DF-02 (Rising Storm)

1.Tamtech GB-02 Buggy Champ (oil dampers, and mild brushless motor make this thing a dream to drive)
2.Wild One (bone stock on 2s is a treat to drive, add foam inserts/softer rear tires and it can jump with finesse)
3.Blitzer Beetle (when set up properly, very versatile on pavement, gravel, or taking on small-mid sized jumps at the track)

1. Zahak
2. Wild One
3. ...

1.Grasshopper
2.Lunchbox
3.Wild One

1.Blackfoot/Monster Beetle
2.Wild One
3.Tamtech GB-02

1. DF-02 (unless you're content with RTR plastic fantastic.. slop and all)
2. Falcon (my first love.. but now should be relegated to fossil/shelf-queen status for fragility and lack of replacement parts)
3. ...

1. Don't want to offend anyone.. 
2. Don't want to offend anyone.. 
3. Don't want to offend anyone.. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Killajb said:

1. Don't want to offend anyone.. :lol:
2. Don't want to offend anyone.. 
3. Don't want to offend anyone.. 

That's offensive in its self :lol:

seriously there's a lot of brands that over hype their products, .0 this 2.0 that keeps everyone buying them, besides you can tell us, we're in the same club:)

As my grandmother use to say "Honesty is the best policy" but when i walked away, i swear heard her say under her breath Horse Apples:lol:

• Like 1

What are your top 3 based on reliability and durability?

1. Thundershot

2. Rising fighter

3. G6-01

What are your top 3 based on chassis driving dynamics, performance, potential?

1.thundershot

2. g6-01

3. Xv-01

What are your top 3 when it comes to value (a chassis/kit overlooked maybe because of it's low price but has good performance/potential)?

1. Rising fighter

2. G6-01

3. Thundershot

1. Rising fighter

2. Thundershot

3. G6-01

1. Thundershot

2. G6-01

3. Rising fighter (hornet)

1. Tt-02b

2. Df-03

3. Madbull

1. Tt-02b

2. Df-03

3. Madbull

Side note, I've owned, built and ran most of tamiyas off road buggies

Edited by taffer
  • Like 5

Disclaimer: I have no experience with TRF buggies, so all of my answers are non-TRF even though the TRF ones are likely superior.

1. DT-01
2. Rising FIghter
3. Grasshopper

1. DB-01 (with as many Rs as you can afford)
2. DN-01
3. Manta Ray

1. DN-01
2. DT-02
3. Manta Ray

1. DT-01
2. Rising Fighter
3. Grasshopper

1. Hotshot
2. Thundershot
3. DF-01

1. TL-01B (unless fitted with Fibre Lyte braces)
2. TT-02B (unless fitted with DF-02 diffs)
3. DF-03 (unless fitted with a hardened counter gear)

1. Top Force
2. DB-02
3. can't think of another

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

1. Top Force

i have one in box, i'm not offended, 

purchased it with a song...

• Like 1

Brilliant topic! But I've tried to go down my list and reading all the other members answers I keep on changing my mind one minute the boomerang is the most reliable (raced that to total inhalation) but then the hornet which I never raced but was my street basher was faultless.........etc etc and so it goes on.......I think I'm just to indecisive? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moffman said:

Brilliant topic! But I've tried to go down my list and reading all the other members answers I keep on changing my mind one minute the boomerang is the most reliable (raced that to total inhalation) but then the hornet which I never raced but was my street basher was faultless.........etc etc and so it goes on.......I think I'm just to indecisive? 

Can’t wait to see your list! You should post it :)

Can’t wait to see more but just wanted to comment that I’m surprised to see the DN-01/Zahak. I always had that on my mind but saw some posts where people sort of made fun of it or not like it. I almost bought one months ago for a really good price but hesitated. Maybe one of my regrets. And the Thundershot, liked that one when it came out. Never had one. I thought certain suspension parts on that one broke a lot but it doesn’t seem like it. Did they ever do a re release? Too pricey now like around the price of an Avante. Then the Top Force—why is a used NIB so expensive? Like reaching the price of an Avante when I looked on fleabay. Not familiar with it or the history. 

14 hours ago, mud4fun said:

1. Avante '88
2. Avante 2011
3. anything with avante in the name other than Avante 2001 ;-)

Does that mean the Black Edition too?

35 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

Can’t wait to see your list! You should post it :)

The list which is bouncing around my head is more like a tamiya (opinionated) rc guide 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

Does that mean the Black Edition too?

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I have (or have had) every avante class buggy and I do love them. I have five of them in various states of rebuild in my kitchen right now!

In fact the reason I say to avoid them is because I love them and have run them extensively so well aware of the issues. There are several very weak parts that Tamiya have known about for 30 years and have point blank refused to rectify, when those parts break they are extremely expensive to replace and that is if you can find the parts, so the buggies are often left unused or only good as shelf queens until parts can be sourced.

Tamiya have a nasty habit of re-releasing cars but not providing a good spare parts supply for them over a good few years after release. This is especially bad with avante parts, considering the known easily broken parts. I suspect the same will end up happening with the new VQS vanquish. 

Yes, OK, they did rectify the alloy front hub carriers BUT they left the plastic hubs the same as before so they just break easily, VERY EASILY, slight knock on a curb or large stone or hit a ramp awkwardly and the hubs sheer around the shoulder screw holes. I have now replaced all my hubs with Yeah racing alloy hubs (and upgraded to full carbon chassis too), seems to have totally cured the issues with the buggy and in the last week or so I've probably driven it more than in the previous 5 years, even clipped a curb at 20mph and suffered no damage. However, that is an extra £50-60 on hubs that you should not need to spend, for the price Tamiya charges for these premium buggies you should get the alloy hubs as standard or a revised stronger plastic hub design. 

To give you an idea of costs of ownership:

My most used Avante2001:

• cost £80 to buy a 2nd hand rough runner back in 2002
  • has done roughly 200 hours of actual runtime in last 18 years
  • has cost me approx £300 in parts to maintain
  • another £100 for a rebuild last month
  • Total cost to buy, maintain and restore = £480, current market value £250

My most used Terra Scorcher :

• cost £40 to buy a rough runner back in 2003
  • has also done 200+ hours of use (probably nearer 400 hours!) in last 17 years
  • has cost me approx £50 in parts to maintain
  • another £50 for a full rebuild a few months back.
  • Total cost to buy, maintain and restore = £140, current market value £100

The only reason I do not include the Avante2001 in the list is because it was not over hyped, it was largely ignored at the time and it was often much cheaper to buy than the full on Avante class cars, it was regarded as a poor mans avante due to plastic shocks, frp decks etc and yet it was actually a better performer. Because of that it is more forgivable to have to spend the extra £50 to get alloy hubs but even as a huge Avante2001 fan I'd still avoid buying one if it wasn't for the fact yeah racing do those alloy hubs. I certainly would not be paying £350+ for new ones. 

I guess they are fine a shelf queens but I like to run, race and bash my buggies so my opinions will vary widely from people who only display their cars or do light use.

EDIT: @Mechanic AH where are you based? if you were anywhere close to me in North Lincolnshire I'd happily meet up with you and let you have a drive of my Avante class buggies and show you the weak spots etc. I have a good set of them - Avante88, Vanquish, Avante2001 (x2) and Egress. I have a serious love/hate relationship with them. I  also have a large fleet of terra scorchers and thundershots that you could drive and compare to the avante class. If I was looking to buy a classic Tamiya buggy that was reasonably durable and was a true 'jack of all trades, master of none' rather than a car that is great for only a limited range of surfaces or uses, I'd choose the Terra Scorcher - excellent off road on rough tracks and damned good on all other surfaces such as grass, tarmac etc, can be made to go very fast, has pretty bullet proof gearboxes, is light and can fit a huge range of batteries in from 7.2v NiMhs to 9.6v NiCds and 3S Lipo hard cases (with minor trimming). The motor mount design allows a large range of pinion gears too so matching a motor/pinion to intended use is quite easy and the only real weak spot is the A5 part which can be fixed for pennies (ignore the people buying £30 alloy parts, no need, can be fixed for free if you know how).

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, taffer said:

What are your top 3 based on reliability and durability?

1. Thundershot

2. Rising fighter

3. G6-01

What are your top 3 based on chassis driving dynamics, performance, potential?

1.thundershot

2. g6-01

3. Xv-01

What are your top 3 when it comes to value (a chassis/kit overlooked maybe because of it's low price but has good performance/potential)?

1. Rising fighter

2. G6-01

3. Thundershot

1. Rising fighter

2. Thundershot

3. G6-01

1. Thundershot

2. G6-01

3. Rising fighter (hornet)

1. Tt-02b

2. Df-03

3. Madbull

1. Tt-02b

2. Df-03

3. Madbull

Side note, I've owned, built and ran most of tamiyas off road buggies

Is the rising fighter a continuation of the fighter buggy RX or a completely new model?

2 hours ago, Wetman said:

Is the rising fighter a continuation of the fighter buggy RX or a completely new model?

It's sort of a continuation of the grass hopper 2.......

Grass hopper 2 chassis

Dt-01 (fighter buggy Rx) gearbox

Modified super hornet body

Regarding another post referencing the thundershot weakness, yes the A5 will break after a few impacts but there's a cheap steel brace available from a third party seller, then it's pretty solid

• Like 3

3 hours ago, taffer said:

Regarding another post referencing the thundershot weakness, yes the A5 will break after a few impacts but there's a cheap steel brace available from a third party seller, then it's pretty solid

There is an even cheaper option, just slice the A5 in half horizontally, The upper half is then easily replaced with the rear suspension mount (B8) if/when it breaks (as they are now identical) and the lower half is permanently bolted to the bumper. The B8 part is often a fraction of the cost of A5 because people are not aware that they are effectively the same part once the lower section of A5 is removed.

This disconnects the impacts on the bumper from the front suspension mount. You can clip the lower half into the gap between the front gearbox halves and tighten the long screw to keep it in place . 

Me and my kids have run Thundershot/Terra Scorchers like this for 20 years and not suffered a single breakage on the front suspension mount despite heavy abuse and doing lots of jumps etc, The biggest problem with the A5 was that it was too stiff and transmitted all the shock impacts into the lower suspension mount. By disconnecting the two separate functions it is much more robust. Also the rear mount is more flexible and actually bends on impact before sheering around the pins, this also makes it more durable. Don't bother wasting £30 on alloy A5 replacements, this cheap and simple fix mostly solves the issue. A cheap bit of thin alloy plate from B&Q can be bent to form a brace if needed. I run a fleet of thundershots and terra scorchers with this mod and I can honestly say that in 1000+ hours of use we have not had any further breakages of the front lower suspension mount,  even in the hardest impacts. I have recently suffered a smashed steering hub/broken arm/join with steering rod but that was a 25mph impact offset into a hardwood railway sleeper - not much would survive that, not even a Schumacher or Associated.

Occasionally the bumper mounted lower part of the A5 comes loose after an impact but it is simply pushed back and 'clips' in place again with no damage sustained.

We did this mod on my daughters brand new re-re Terra scorcher, she has used that in anger on our garden track, raced it in the postal race round 1 and even crashed a few times at speed with a warm motor and no damage to gearbox mounts at all so far :)

I did a showroom post about this 16 years ago, it is here: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=20216&id=1721 photos are pretty dire. I will replace with new clearer photos in the next month or so if I remember but I think it gives you the gist of what I'm talking about.

WP_20201007_22_17_00_Pro.thumb.jpg.ead247fb80a1fa1da92dfa9884452ce0.jpg

I would also recommend that anybody running a Thundershot replaces their solid blue upper arms with Terra Scorcher adjustable upper arms as they allow ALOT more flexibility in the event of a heavy impact and reduce the chance of damage to upper gearbox mounts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Had to have a think, and will probably move some about when another car pops in my head and I've not owned every Tamiya buggy put there, so can only comment on what I have, but, 

What are your top 3 based on reliability and durability?
1.DF03**
2.DT03
3.Boomerang 

1.DF03 
2.DT03
3.Boomerang 

What are your top 3 when it comes to value (a chassis/kit overlooked maybe because of it's low price but has good performance/potential)?
1.DT03
2.Novafox
3.Boomerang

1.DF03
2.Lunchbox 
3.DT03

1.DF03
2.DT03
3.Lunchbox 

1.Frog (original)
2.Monster Beetle (same frog gearbox woes)
3.Rough rider 

1.Bigwig 
2.Rough Rider
3. Avante (Although I've not owned one, had a shot of one bitd, and my mid would run rings around it)

(**The DF03 needs a slipper and rear diff attention, but then it's pretty much bomb proof, 5700kv / 5s @Jonathon Gillham , not quite 6s, but recon it would take it!! 🙄😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

There is an even cheaper option, just slice the A5 in half horizontally, The upper half is then easily replaced with the rear suspension mount if/when it breaks (as they are now identical) and the lower half is permanently bolted to the bumper.

Apologies! Yes! I have even saved your showroom entry in my favourites about this mod.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

*The DF03 needs a slipper and rear diff attention, but then it's pretty much bomb proof, 5700kv / 5s @Jonathon Gillham , not quite 6s, but recon it would take it!! 🙄😀

Really?? Apart from smooth tarmac, my attempts at off roading with the df-03 ended in multiple parts failure, any jump or flip that landed it on its roof would normally break the front shock tower...it looks great but it has so many bad decisions made on the chassis and design......(well documented on here by others as well).

Obviously I'm glad someone is enjoying it still! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, taffer said:

Really?? Apart from smooth tarmac, my attempts at off roading with the df-03 ended in multiple parts failure, any jump or flip that landed it on its roof would normally break the front shock tower...it looks great but it has so many bad decisions made on the chassis and design......(well documented on here by others as well).

Obviously I'm glad someone is enjoying it still! 

Look on the bright side@taffer the DF03 wheels, especially the Dark Impact, make great wheels for the Thundershot/Terra Scorchers, brilliant 2.2 inch wheels with perfect thickness to suit a thundershot fitted with 5mm wide hexes. You then can take your pick of after market tyres. I have bought dozens of Dark Impact wheels in the last year to 're-wheel and tyre' my thundershot/terra scorcher/avante fleets :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I have (or have had) every avante class buggy and I do love them. I have five of them in various states of rebuild in my kitchen right now!

EDIT: @Mechanic AH where are you based? if you were anywhere close to me in North Lincolnshire I'd happily meet up with you and let you have a drive of my Avante class buggies and show you the weak spots etc. I have a good set of them - Avante88, Vanquish, Avante2001 (x2) and Egress. I have a serious love/hate relationship with them. I  also have a large fleet of terra scorchers and thundershots that you could drive and compare to the avante class. If I was looking to buy a classic Tamiya buggy that was reasonably durable and was a true 'jack of all trades, master of none' rather than a car that is great for only a limited range of surfaces or uses, I'd choose the Terra Scorcher - excellent off road on rough tracks and damned good on all other surfaces such as grass, tarmac etc, can be made to go very fast, has pretty bullet proof gearboxes, is light and can fit a huge range of batteries in from 7.2v NiMhs to 9.6v NiCds and 3S Lipo hard cases (with minor trimming). The motor mount design allows a large range of pinion gears too so matching a motor/pinion to intended use is quite easy and the only real weak spot is the A5 part which can be fixed for pennies (ignore the people buying £30 alloy parts, no need, can be fixed for free if you know how).

Oh man, I'd love that and thanks for the kind invite, I'd meetup in a heartbeat but I'm in the US :(. I wish I could see all those buggies. That would've been an amazing sight. I've thought about Avantes a lot and been dreaming of a Thundershot (one of my favorite body-wise when I was younger). I was also looking at a Terra Scorcher months ago but wasn't too sure now it's just on back order here in the States. I think you made it sound as a very compelling one to add to a never ending list of kits! Thanks to your tip and thorough notes (which I truly appreciate) I need to get some Yeah Racing aluminum knuckles since I just acquired an Egress. Unrelated but the closest area to you I've been to is Stoke-on-Trent. 

• Thanks 1