Mechanic AH

Top 3: your most reliable + durable Tamiya off-road buggy chassis? And least (to avoid)?

28 minutes ago, Mechanic AH said:

Oh man, I'd love that and thanks for the kind invite, I'd meetup in a heartbeat but I'm in the US :(. I wish I could see all those buggies. That would've been an amazing sight. I've thought about Avantes a lot and been dreaming of a Thundershot (one of my favorite body-wise when I was younger). I was also looking at a Terra Scorcher months ago but wasn't too sure now it's just on back order here in the States. I think you made it sound as a very compelling one to add to a never ending list of kits! Thanks to your tip and thorough notes (which I truly appreciate) I need to get some Yeah Racing aluminum knuckles since I just acquired an Egress. Unrelated but the closest area to you I've been to is Stoke-on-Trent. 

Thank you. If you are ever in the UK, message me and we can try to meet up.  Would love to pass on the Love/Hate relationship with Avante class buggies :D

I'm hoping they re-re the Thundershot soon, it is my preferred body shape too and easy and cheap enough to upgrade to Terra Scorcher spec anyway.

My middle daughter is about to start building an Egress, from parts I have spare from all the other rebuilds.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, taffer said:

Really?? Apart from smooth tarmac, my attempts at off roading with the df-03 ended in multiple parts failure, any jump or flip that landed it on its roof would normally break the front shock tower...it looks great but it has so many bad decisions made on the chassis and design......(well documented on here by others as well).

Obviously I'm glad someone is enjoying it still! 

I've had the car over 10yrs, and not broke a front shock tower yet! (Although broke a rear shock mount, that's part of the gearbox, a few weeks back,cheap to fix, just a pain to fit), snapped a wheel off, but it was running the 5700kv / 3s. 

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

Thank you. If you are ever in the UK, message me and we can try to meet up.  Would love to pass on the Love/Hate relationship with Avante class buggies :D

I'm hoping they re-re the Thundershot soon, it is my preferred body shape too and easy and cheap enough to upgrade to Terra Scorcher spec anyway.

My middle daughter is about to start building an Egress, from parts I have spare from all the other rebuilds.....

Thanks! Will definitely do :)!

I hope they do another re re Thundershot. Maybe I should just wait then. By the way, lucky kid to be building an Egress!

8 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Look on the bright side@taffer the DF03 wheels, especially the Dark Impact, make great wheels for the Thundershot/Terra Scorchers, brilliant 2.2 inch wheels with perfect thickness to suit a thundershot fitted with 5mm wide hexes. You then can take your pick of after market tyres. I have bought dozens of Dark Impact wheels in the last year to 're-wheel and tyre' my thundershot/terra scorcher/avante fleets :)

@mud4fun No! Tried that years ago, tyres were too grippy (on tarmac) no power slides so was too boring, sold them soon after (it's documented in my showroom) I love the stock tyres and wheels, which are even great to drive when bald!😁

(Shapeways has a tshot wheel in 2.2 size though)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I've had the car over 10yrs, and not broke a front shock tower yet! (Although broke a rear shock mount, that's part of the gearbox, a few weeks back,cheap to fix, just a pain to fit), snapped a wheel off, but it was running the 5700kv / 3s.

I'd say you have been fortunate, compared to my dt-02 at the time, it was pants......

• Haha 1

Lol @Wooders28 😂

My dt-02 was the benchmark for toughness! (Had to add a front shock brace eventually)

I think maybe only the striker and falcon were weaker than my df-03 but their plastic was many years older!

On 10/7/2020 at 5:45 AM, TurnipJF said:

What are your favorite top 3 kits/chassis?
3. DF-01

What are your top 3 off-road buggy overhyped chassis/kits?
1. Top Force

So what you’re really saying here, is that the Top Force lives up to the hype? 😉

On 10/8/2020 at 7:25 AM, taffer said:

@mud4fun No! Tried that years ago, tyres were too grippy (on tarmac) no power slides so was too boring, sold them soon after (it's documented in my showroom) I love the stock tyres and wheels, which are even great to drive when bald!😁

(Shapeways has a tshot wheel in 2.2 size though)

LOL, no powerslides on 2.2 inch? Try telling that to my Terra Scorcher and Avante2001, both will merrily power slide and drift on their 2.2 inch wheels whether fitted with tarmac, mini pin or full spiked tyres (regardless of surface) :ph34r::D

However I take your point, it takes an awful lot more power to achieve that with decent modern racing tyres..... but 8.4v, a good motor and low gearing sorts the TS out happily - hysterical fun to drive but much more costly when you crash........ LOL

The newly carboned Avante2001 is just a hoot to drive on full spikes - low weight and that 13T motor combined with a LiPo - I can do donuts with ease, I managed to make serious donut grooves into my kitchen carpet tiles the other night - took ages with a hoover to get them cleared! :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Room335 said:

So what you’re really saying here, is that the Top Force lives up to the hype? 😉

What I'm saying is that the DF-01 is a good chassis in all its guises. I think it odd when people slate the Manta Ray yet hype the Top Force for example, when in terms of driving dynamics, robustness and pretty much every criterion except adjustability and bling value, they are virtually the same. 

• Like 3

Thinking about re releases from the 80s and the front knuckle arms on the Avante/Egress as weak points, I wish they did upgrade it to alloy/metal when they re released it. I was just working on the wires on my Kyosho Javelin (re-release 2017) and admired that it at least has alloy knuckle arms on the front! The rears are plastic though. 

MechanicAfterHours-1020215.jpg

MechanicAfterHours-1020225.jpg

• Like 1

Kyosho makes aluminum rear bearing carriers for the Optima/Javelin re re. OTW117GM.

I'd like to get my hot little hands on a set, but more than that I would want OTW125 universal joint swing arm shafts. (Hint hint please please!)

• Like 1

What are your top 3 based on reliability and durability?
1. Manta Ray
2. Terra Conqueror 
3. Dirt Thrasher 

What are your top 3 based on chassis driving dynamics, performance, potential?
1. Top Force Evo 
2. Top Force
3. Terra Conqueror 

What are your top 3 when it comes to value (a chassis/kit overlooked maybe because of it's low price but has good performance/potential)?
1. Manta Ray
2. Dirt Thrasher
3. Blazing Star

What are your top 3 when it comes to cheap upkeep and affordable parts?
1. Manta Ray
2. Dirt Thrasher
3. Blazing Star

What are your favorite top 3 kits/chassis?
1. Manta Ray
2. Egress
3. Top Force / Evo

What are your top 3 off-road buggy chassis to avoid?
1. Anything 
2. Not listed
3. Above

What are your top 3 off-road buggy overhyped chassis/kits?
1. Anything 
2. Not listed 
3. Above

:)

• Like 2

On 10/9/2020 at 3:52 AM, TurnipJF said:

What I'm saying is that the DF-01 is a good chassis in all its guises. I think it odd when people slate the Manta Ray yet hype the Top Force for example, when in terms of driving dynamics, robustness and pretty much every criterion except adjustability and bling value, they are virtually the same. 

Sorry @TurnipJF, I wasn’t trying to be snarky. I actually bought Manta Rays for my sons, largely because of Manta fans like you and others here. Full disclosure...I also picked up a Top Force for myself in the early days of the lockdown.😀 Now, if someone can point me to a place to buy time to build these kits...

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 11:30 PM, Mechanic AH said:

Now I really want one! Ugh, should've bought it before.

Turns out your prayers have been answered ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mman2005 said:

Turns out your prayers have been answered ;)

Thanks! But I do want to build it from scratch though :( 

Just now, Mechanic AH said:

Thanks! But I do want to build it from scratch though :( 

I'll take it apart if you like?😁

• Haha 1