Sign in to follow this  
slimleeroy

Anybody tried these dampers?

I always worry about rebuilding these down the road and having some weird sized o ring or proprietary seal that you cant get anywhere.

This thought applies to any non oem shock really. 

that being said, they do LOOK good!

With dampers you get what you pay for unfortunately. The pricey ones pay for themselves down the line IF you have to re-build them. 

If it's an occasional basher then these will suffice. Likely they won't perform as well as the plastic CVA dampers supplied with the kits listed as being compatible, but they will look cooler. I acknowledge that a set of TRF dampers for a buggy are probably 5x the cost of these, so if you can't see yourself rebuilding them 5x during the lifespan of your model, they're good value I guess. I have some cheap Xtra Speed dampers on my shelfers for the bling factor B) I also run a set on my DT02 which sees some real abuse (talking 3S LiPo 10.5T Brushless upside-down high-speed skids kind of abuse  :lol: ) And they're holding up just fine. They're a bit 'sticky' but for car-park bashing they've held up just fine. 

• Like 1

Xtraspeed can be a hit or miss. Some of their products are better than stock parts but not too great, while others are awful. Very few are really good. Looks can be really deceiving. 

I wouldn't compromise. Choose quality over price. Honestly for dampers, there are better choices. Yeah Racing is one of them.

• Thanks 1

I tried the XtraSpeed dampers a few years back.  They were shiny.  But they leaked and the shafts bent...  I still use the springs on my CVAs and I like the chrome aluminum ball-ends and spring holders it came with...    

But I also got a bad set of Yeah Racing dampers that did the same thing, and everyone seems to like those now...

Maybe you'll have better luck???  

Terry

• Like 1

I think alot of this can be boiled down to a fairly simple conversation. Cheap? yes. Now lets compare them to grasshopper /hornet shocks. i dont own these shocks so i honestly cant have an opinion. however, kit shocks are what they are. some are not good some are better. now, at 10 bucks as an "upgrade" and as @ChrisRx718 said, if u replace them five  times....... then for bashing why not? are they better than stock? if so then go for it. I wouldnt have an issue putting a "cheap" set of dampers on, im not racing. For 10 bucks find out and report back. its  what u will use the buggy for. if ur bashing do any of us really need $70 or $100 dampers?

• Like 1

Likely, they're just fine. I've definitely seen some horrible shocks but most aftermarket shocks purchased from a real hobby vendor are "just fine" as long as you don't expect high-end race shocks for the price of a hamburger. Take 'em apart, replace and lubricate the o-rings, deburr the plastics, correctly fill them with appropriate oil and use appropriate springs, and you'll probably be more than happy. Proper assembly is at least as important as the parts themselves. Even GPM shocks work as advertised when you rebuild them before using them. On the other hand, the very cheap eBay/Ali/Amazon shocks aren't worth the cost of shipping, even with free shipping.

Silk purse/sow's ear and all that.